Jambands.ca

Game of Thrones

rubberdinghy

I've been waiting for this for two years (I have it recorded too and will watch it tonight). The books are revered in the fantasy genre. Game of Thrones, on the strength of the pilot and upcoming episode screeners, was renewed a few days ago by HBO for a second season. The reviews have been across the board great as were the ratings for EPS. 1.

This is a good primer and scroll down to the blurbs from the press such as EW, NY Times etc...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49310

I watched the first episode a couple of nights ago. Definitely has promise and I will stick with this for sure. Beautifully shot. There are a LOT of characters and it will take a little time to remember who's connected to who and where they are.

Watch the title sequence animation. Aside from being really cool, it lays out a map of the world that this all takes place in.

Will your wife like it? I dunno. Mine was good with it. It's not as fluffy as Tudors by any means, but there's eye candy for them too. A little beheading in the opening sequence should be about the worst of it. Get her past that and you're golden ;)

I would definitely read the first four books before watching the series, they are glorious.

I hear great things about them. I love that author George R.R. Martin has written several of this season's upcoming scripts as has the awesome Jane Espenson (Buffy,Firefly, DS9, BSG and Torchwood).

so to read or not to read?

That is the question.

Now this is even tougher...apparently the series of books is going to be 7 novels long.

So even hardcores that have read the first few books I assume will watch the show...

So maybe I should start and finish the first book, then watch the show as I read the rest, assuming the first season of the show will probably revolve solely around the first book?

I definitely enjoyed the first episode, but like Kev said, it will take a little bit to remember the various connections between the characters.

Will your wife like it? Depends. It's not overly-fantasyish, as in there are no magical sorcerors or mythical beings or elves or faeries or anything like that. It's seems more like a political drama that happens to be set in a fictional medieval world. A lot less blood and a lot fewer tits than Spartacus, but still some blood and tits.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This show got me absolutely hooked with the first episode. The list of characters got me confused enough to have to start reading the books, too, and they are addictive in their own right (presently halfway through the second one). The story manages very well to stay well ahead of any predictability; you can't let yourself get attached to any of the characters, that's for sure (though I can't help but root for Tyrion).

I'm thinking the books are going to be must-reads for me at this point. But I'm going to try to hold off until after the first season ends, so that I still have some viewing surprises. Plus, I have a 13-hour flight coming up in the fall, so that should about do me for the first book.