Jambands.ca

Election Results

Hartamophone

I don't know why I get such a kick out of this, but what a great time to jump on the NDP train huh?

From a vacationing university pub bartender to an MP salary with staff, I give you the winner in Berthier-Maskinonge, Ms. Brosseau:

"In the Quebec riding of Berthier-Maskinonge, NDP candidate Ruth Ellen Brosseau took this laid-back approach to campaigning even further. She's on vacation in Las Vegas from her job as a bartender at Carleton University in Ottawa."

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an addendum, the amount of people I've spoken to who have the various parties policy stances completely reversed is disturbing. Or the number who want to vote for the incumbent party without having paid any attention to its governance since the last election, because 'things seem to be going well enough'.

Mandatory is scary. It vastly exaggerates support for the incumbent party - we would have Conservative majorities from here until eternity. If you are only ticking an X to avoid a fine, you are noise, not signal.

"In the Quebec riding of Berthier-Maskinonge, NDP candidate Ruth Ellen Brosseau took this laid-back approach to campaigning even further. She's on vacation in Las Vegas from her job as a bartender at Carleton University in Ottawa."

Last I heard, there was question if she has even ever visited the riding! :laugh:

I don't know why I get such a kick out of this, but what a great time to jump on the NDP train huh?

From a vacationing university pub bartender to an MP salary with staff, I give you the winner in Berthier-Maskinonge, Ms. Brosseau:

"One of her passions is rescuing and rehabilitating injured animals. For many years Ruth Ellen has committed her time and energy to finding homes for stray animals in her community."

I like that, but I hope she finds new, more diverse passions now!! Eek!

So many new MPs now from the NDP! Many are young, inexperienced, women, diverse cultures. Will they be able to speak up to Harper??

This would have been the time for any of us here to become an NDP election candidate!

he won't give a flying fack what the *opposition* or anyone else thinks

I wouldnt either if some fucking bartender was voted in even though she was in Vegas during the campaign or may not have even visted the riding she is representing. Talk about having "complete contempt for the public", that's just g-damn embarrassing.

he won't give a flying fack what the *opposition* or anyone else thinks

I wouldnt either if some fucking bartender was voted in even though she was in Vegas during the campaign or may not have even visted the riding she is representing. Talk about having "complete contempt for the public"' date=' that's just g-damn embarrassing.

[/quote']

I'd like to hear from the constituents who are RESPONSIBLE for voting her in! Did she offer free drinks for votes at the bar?

web-ndp-candida_1270538cl-3.jpg

Edited by Guest

Question:

Is it necessary to be bad at ethics to be good at politics?

i don't think so. I wouldn't say Obama is unethical. but then again, he might not be that good at politics.

the far right in Canada, and the U.S. have no problem blatantly lying in support of their cause. and the population seems to suck it all up.

fuck - donald trump might be the president in two years.

I really want to move to France right now (or Sweden, or...).

yes

We agree then :) Hoorah for solidarity!

I'd like to hear from the constituents who are RESPONSIBLE for voting her in! Did she offer free drinks for votes at the bar?

I guess all she offered was not being BQ. How the world turns.

I'm going to have to plead total ignorance here. I know very little about politics.

Why is this the end of our country as we know it? Hasn't that dude been prime minister for a few years already? Is he really going to end our health care system and we're going to become just like the United States?

I thought all politicians are corrupt and lie. Everyone thought the United States would change big time with Obama and it hasn't.

I guess I should have watched more debates or something. Sorry folks, I just don't understand.

Guest Low Roller

web-ndp-candida_1270538cl-3.jpg

I'll reserve judgement until I see a full body shot.

Everyone thought the United States would change big time with Obama and it hasn't.

That's totally true, and things aren't going to change as much as people fear. But one of the things with Obama - in a totally different type of system - is that he was and is beholden to Congress. In the US, they have a separation of powers, whereby the executive (President and staff) are isolated from the legislature (Congress, who make and pass the laws).

Here in Canada, we don't have that. It's not as bad as it sounds - instead we have the principle of 'responsible government', which means if you are fucking up, we throw you out. But the executive (the Prime Minister and staff) and the legislative (the House of Commons) are merged. In the end, the Prime Minister of Canada actually has a lot more leeway and power over the going ons in this country than the President of the US does over his. In the past, Canada has been referred to as the 'friendly dictatorship'

Harper has been kept in check since he was elected in the past because his government was in a minority position. There were more people from other parties to oppose him if he tried anything batshit crazy than there were people of his own to vote in favour of it. He would get out-voted. Besides being embarrassing, this can have real consequences - if the vote is 'serious' enough (a matter of Confidence) it means that an election is triggered. So you don't try to do anything controversial or stupid (this again is the principle of 'responsible government'). This time, he has a majority, so as long as he can keep his own people in line (which I personally doubt, but that is another story), he can pretty much do as he pleases.

I don't think that Harper is as socially conservative as most people think that he is. In fact, I think that he is somewhat socially inept and doesn't even care about such issues. But his base supporters, many of them former Reformers, certainly are, and the fear seems to be that he will play to them and introduce all sorts of atrocious policy.

I suspect that he will be annoying, will probably be in contempt again, and we will get over him eventually. He will do some damage in the meantime.

For some fun facts: shitharperdid.ca

To Newrider; With a majority parliament, which is the big change, the Conservative party can vote it's own policies into law without the support of any opposition members. This means that the anti-crime legislation, and the corporate tax cuts that the public generally does not support will be rammed directly up our assholes. Expect to be put in jail for one full year if you are caught with a joint, criminal.

Edited by Guest

I can't wait to see one of Harper's new super-jail, aka Collins Bay Pen, up-and-running in my old neighbourhood, which still houses my mom, Booche and bouch's mom and Davey Boy's parents. Great idea.

The middle class lost last night.

Of course he does. He's not a bad man. He's just wrong.

Lots of people are wrong and decent people.

I disagree. I think that he is a bad person. he has NO CONSCIENCE. he is a bully. and he will do all he can, fuck the consequences, to get what he wants. that's the scary part (well some of the scary part).

and he makes decisons based purely on ideology. not on evidence.