Jambands.ca

Exscaping reality-book suggestions?

I love this book:

1840342_f248.jpg

"Kafka on the Shore" follows the fortunes of two remarkable characters. Kafka Tamura runs away from home at fifteen, under the shadow of his father's dark prophesy. The aging Nakata, tracker of lost cats, who never recovered from a bizarre childhood affliction, finds his pleasantly simplified life suddenly turned upside down. Their parallel odysseys are enriched throughout by vivid accomplices and mesmerising dramas. Cats converse with people; fish tumble from the sky; a ghostlike pimp deploys a Hegel-spouting girl of the night; a forest harbours soldiers apparently un-aged since WWII. There is a savage killing, but the identity of both victim and killer is a riddle. Murakami's new novel is at once a classic tale of quest, but it is also a bold exploration of mythic and contemporary taboos, of patricide, of mother-love, of sister-love. Above all it is an entertainment of a very high order.

Cool. Thanks for the book suggestions so far. I'm definately looking to disconnect somewhat from reality for the summer. The past year or so has been exccruciatingly difficult on my well being and the goings on in the world have not eased this. Looking to listen to music, eat good food,enjoy kind people, read lots and enjoy my awesome family under sunny skies and starry nights.

Just hit the library and picked up Douglas Copelands, Eleanor Rigby and Generation A.

Here is what has been reccomended to me in case anyone else is looking to go on a reading jag...Last exit to Brooklyn by Hubert Selby, anything by Mo Hayder and The Borderliners by Peter Hoeg.

Check out the Hunger Games trilogy.... more and more adults are reading teen reads right now and this is an absolutely killer series.

Garth Stein's The Art of racing in the Rain is a story that will take you through every emotion. Its the story of a family as told through the eyes of the family dog. I could go into more detail but I dont want to give away too much on this one.

The Steig Larson series continues to stay in our Top 50 books. If youhavent read The Girl with the dragon tattoo then you have something to easily get hooked on.