Jambands.ca

Frampton Comes Alive - authenticity ?

bouche

I'm reading Steven Adler's book and when describing G'N'R's first recorded "live" album - Live ?!*@ Like a Suicide - he claims that he was told that the only thing recorded live on Frampton Comes Alive were the drums.

Has anyone heard of this being such a great illusion in record marketing?

I'm reading Steven Adler's book and when describing G'N'R's first recorded "live" album - Live ?!*@ Like a Suicide - he claims that he was told that the only thing recorded live on Frampton Comes Alive were the drums.

I heard the exact same thing about Kiss Alive, that the only live part was the drums and that they added the crowd cheering.

I've heard that about the Frampton record as well. Another classic live record that really isn't, is the Last Waltz. Levon claims the only thing not overdubbed and rerecorded was his drums and vocals and calls it the 'biggest lie in rock n roll'. Hard to believe until you listen to the actual show.

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/the-band/concerts/winterland-november-25-1976.html

The Band also did the same thing with the Live at Watkins Glen record. Makes me wonder about Rock of Ages too.... come to think of it.... any other live Band stuff I've seen or heard has kinda sucked. Oh well... those 'live' records are still among my favourites regardless of authenticity.

Frampton Comes Alive will finally be live this summer:

“My plan for the bulk of the tour will be to have a three hour show, basically, the first hour and ten minutes will be newer stuff, covers, favorites that are not on Frampton Comes Alive and then there’ll either be an intermission or there’ll be a segue into the complete, from beginning to end, Frampton Comes Alive.â€

“My plan for the bulk of the tour will be to have a three hour show, basically, the first hour and ten minutes will be newer stuff, covers, favorites that are not on Frampton Comes Alive and then there’ll either be an intermission or there’ll be a segue into the complete, from beginning to end, Frampton Comes Alive.”

That's pretty big news.

his health? that's your argument?

Oh don't believe a thing jaimoe says today- I heard him sneeze earlier and his gout is flairing up again

Overall health, yes. His brain is shot to hell. In fact I did sneeze several times today, but my gout hasn't returned since Booche's stag party.

“My plan for the bulk of the tour will be to have a three hour show' date=' basically, the first hour and ten minutes will be newer stuff, covers, favorites that are not on Frampton Comes Alive and then there’ll either be an intermission or there’ll be a segue into the complete, from beginning to end, Frampton Comes Alive.â€

[/quote']

That's pretty big news.

Is it?

I read an article last year that was all about the "live" albums that came out of the 70s. They basically pointed out that NONE of them were truly live 100% ... or even very close.

The Dead's Skull'n'Roses was another that had massive amounts of edits and overdubs and sounds almost nothing like the real performances.

Hybrid Live vs. Live

I know both Absolutely Live by the Doors and Live And Dangerous by Thin Lizzy (one of my favorite "live" albums") have reputations for being edited within an inch of their lives.

Thanks! I haven't thought of Live & Dangerous in a long freakin time.