Jambands.ca

HELP CHATHAM!

Birdy

So about a year ago, Chatham, after fifteen years of fund-raising and government-lobbying and reconstruction, opened the doors to a state of the art, 1200 seat, absolutely beautiful theatre in our downtown. It was a struggle to get the thing built, raise the funds and fight the masses in our largely blue collar town, but it happened and over the course of the fall, winter and spring, it had a largely successful opening season. Unfortunately building costs carrying forward with income coming in didn't mesh up and the Theatre Association went into receivership a few months ago. The future of it now sits in the hands of our municipality as they deliberate what to do regarding its future.

I'm hoping you might consider signing a petition that urges our local council to consider the importance this building and its programming has in enriching the lives of people in our community.

Now, i know i'm the girl whose wafted in and out of here over the years, spouting my unpopular politics and hating on U2, but i promise, i'm actually a really nice person. But if you don't want to do it for me, do it for the people you know - the backbacons, the swiftys, the blurrys, the ctowns, the OB1s, the meggos, the schwas and any other Chathamites that I might be missing. They're all pretty A+ people.

If you've been here, you know we don't have much going on, but we're nice, easy-going people. Unfortunately the political will of our community makes this a seriously up-hill battle... and so i'm turning to this board in hopes of gaining a few more signatures. Help us make Chatham a better place to live!

Please take 2 seconds out of your day and consider signing our petition - we're presenting it to council on June 6th and so time is of the essence... from one supporter of the arts to another, thank you!!

http://www.petitiononlinecanada.com/petition/support-the-chatham-capitol-theatre-as-an-asset/150

bey I will sign ur petition!! we've got a shit load of abandoned buildings.... there's a huge n long drawn out story of the lister block here.. it sat rotting and abandoned for probably like 40 yrs, they've finally fixed it up and it looks amazing!! I saw the inside has lights on!! yes I was pretty excited :D

Hoep that your effort helps lady!!!!

haha, aww, thanks PT! I know... man, i happily admit! :)

And thanks everyone for your help! I sooooo appreciate it. This theatre is one of the most beautiful theatres i've ever been in, and it still kind of baffles me that it's in Chatham. I'd hate for our municipality to just let it go. BUMP! :)

great point thorg - chatham has some seriously amazing history RE the underground railroad, especially!

chatham has taken a hard hit economically in recent years, and this theatre is not only something we can be proud of (yes, i still say 'we' even though i haven't lived there in years), but it also gives a much-needed shot in the arm in terms of revenue and promotion of the arts. it would really be a shame to lose this theatre.

thank you for signing, peeps!! :)

Amen!! Our history is huge around these parts - was thinking that the other night actually and kind of struggling to figure out what groups in our municipality are actually out there promoting that kind of thing - the underground railroad, the battle of Tecumseh, the war of 1812... all of it happened right here! And while yah, lots of plaques exist commemorating this stuff, i don't think there's any type of unified front to promote. If there is, it's not very effective promotion!

Definitely going to tack this on to my emails to councilors - they're not so much a bad group, it's just that the opposition (think farmers, right of right-wing conservatives and unfortunately, ill-informed) is so loud, and frankly, so mean.

:) Good times. Thanks for the suggestion, and the signatures! :)

Thanks for the signatures, indeed. The Capitol Theatre is very important to this community and has done wonders in instilling an evident sense of culture and accomplishment. For its potential not to be fully realized would be a great detriment to the municipality.

I've seen a couple shows there - Stuart McLean's Vinyl Cafe Christmas show last year and Ladysmith Black Mambazo.

Amen!! Our history is huge around these parts - was thinking that the other night actually and kind of struggling to figure out what groups in our municipality are actually out there promoting that kind of thing - the underground railroad, the battle of Tecumseh, the war of 1812... all of it happened right here! And while yah, lots of plaques exist commemorating this stuff, i don't think there's any type of unified front to promote. If there is, it's not very effective promotion!

Definitely going to tack this on to my emails to councilors - they're not so much a bad group, it's just that the opposition (think farmers, right of right-wing conservatives and unfortunately, ill-informed) is so loud, and frankly, so mean.

:) Good times. Thanks for the suggestion, and the signatures! :)

Point out to those same farmers that some of their ilk are descendants of those same underground railroad folk who have been better than good nieghbors for two hundred years... Buxton, baby. Shadd is read in first year university by 'black' scholars, worldwide. I got it in first year anthropology. 'A plea for emigration' should be emphasized as traditional Canadian knowledge, Metis [and by that I mean to suggest a uniquely Canadian mixed heritage {European and North American] in it's ancestry.