Jambands.ca

MMJ @ Kool Haus

Jaimoe

Great show last night. The Kool Haus was smothering hot, but it didn't ruin things since the boys were in excellent form, although Jim's voice sounded pretty worn on some of the more challenging songs such as "Gideon" and "Anytime". The setlist had good pacing throughout the nearly 3-hour gig. I'm glad they dusted off some of the old tunes such as "The Dark" and "Phone Went West". I couldn't stop grinning during "Lay Low" and new songs "Circuital" and opener "Victory Dance" fucking rocked. Jim and Carl really pushed each other during the many guitar solos. Bluesfest folks won't be dissapointed.

Here's the setlist (I was surprised that "Highly Suspicious" didn't bother me):

http://mmjtweetpickles.com/post/7518717155/toronto-kool-haus-7-11-2011

Less is more, eh?

Looking forward to seeing MMJ. It was you, Jaimoe, who first got me interested in that band.

Have you seen them before? This was my 5th show and it ranks #2; the best was at the Opera House during the It Still Moves tour (one of my fav concerts ever).

Sometimes long sets can drift - MMJ played a lengthy gig the last time they played T.O. and trimming it down would have made the night more powerful; EU didn't gel with the older material, but the songs from that album sure did last night.

Never seen 'em before.

Well, if you have a good perch, the show will kick your ass. They are one of the best live bands I've ever seen. Heck, they kill southern rock, especially that sham band still calling themselves Lynyrd Skynyrd, when they crank out some of their monster guitar epics such as "Lay Low" and "I'm Amazed". I hope the Bluesfest stage shows them off.

I heard you were coming up this year' date=' Dave[/quote']

I was thinking about it, but my bank account is a little strained right now since I bought a house two days ago.

Congrats! Did you stay in the east end?

Thanks, and yes, but I moved further east to the Upper Beaches: Kingston Rd and Vic Park, on Hannaford.

I can't believe they busted out The Dark, one my favourite songs by them, tho the people around me seemed to be totally clueless towards the ridiculously hard rocking song. anyways, amazing show, sweaty as a all hell. i'll have a review up tmrw, my friend took AMAZING photos.

That was my fifth MMJ show and it was very middle of the road. The brutal sound in there was a major part, but the song selection wasn't nearly as good as other shows I've seen.

C+

It was also my fifth and it was the 2nd best show I have seen by them. I thought the song selection was unbelievable and better then any of the other mmj shows I have seen. I mean they played the dark!

Edited by Guest

That was my fifth MMJ show and it was very middle of the road. The brutal sound in there was a major part, but the song selection wasn't nearly as good as other shows I've seen.

C+

I think once you've started dabbling in Donovan everything just becomes a C+, that's just how bright he shines.

That was my fifth MMJ show and it was very middle of the road. The brutal sound in there was a major part' date=' but the song selection wasn't nearly as good as other shows I've seen.

C+

[/quote']

I think once you've started dabbling in Donovan everything just becomes a C+, that's just how bright he shines.

Sing it sister!

That was my fifth MMJ show and it was very middle of the road. The brutal sound in there was a major part' date=' but the song selection wasn't nearly as good as other shows I've seen.

C+

[/quote']

Sing it sister!

You stay outta this, Jennifer Juniper. This is between me and the guy that owns that random piece of shoulder.

C+

[/quote']

Sing it sister!

You stay outta this, Jennifer Juniper. This is between me and the guy that owns that random piece of shoulder.

"Reports show that police are still looking for the shoulder of an unidentified woman found dead in the late 1960's. The only clue to this unsolved mystery are the letters JJFREVR carved in a nearby tree."