Jambands.ca

Heavy MTL 2011

mister slippery

Please Play....

Morbid Angel - Chapel of Ghouls

Anthrax - the cover of Sepultura's Refuse/ Resist you've broken out a few times this summer.

You got your songs! I'm kinda glad I didn't go JUST for Anthrax as this is pretty much the same festival set they've been playing for years. Cool that they covered Sepultura but when you've got a catalogue as deep as Anthrax you should play yer own tunes. I would have felt envious had they played something like "Time", for example.

Caught in a Mosh

Got the Time (Joe Jackson cover)

Madhouse

Antisocial (Trust cover)

Indians

Fight 'Em Till You Can't

Metal Thrashing Mad

Only

Encore:

Refuse/Resist (Sepultura cover)

I Am The Law

Looking forward to your comments!

Ok, work done, now to reflect upon a day of metal.

:chug:

That's better, feels like the weekend.

Friday, Saturday, and Monday, did some stuff, but that's not important.

Sunday was a feast of sonic mayhem. All kinds of great bands, some Id never seen before, some I see a bunch, and some, well, it's been years. Plus, one Id always avoided, fearing utter stupidity with no semblance of musical merit. Would my opinion change? Let's watch.

Firstly, they moved the third stage down a path a good ways. Meant that there was no sound bleeding from stage to stage, but also meant we didn't even really know where it was for the first 3 hours. Endast was up first, local band, kinda numetal crap with a big fat guy yelling. Watched about 4 minutes, then off for a walk. 1/10, cuz I didn't leave immediately.

Missed Les Guenilles, faraway stage, oh well.

Lazarus AD won the Kicking Ass Like Skeletonwitch Did Last Year Award. They were heavy as f@ck, great old- school thrash style, but with some death metal riffery poking its dirty little head out here and there. Great band, I'll definitely see them if they do a headlining tour. 8.5/10. You guys rule.

Setlist?

Um, i know they played Absolute Power and Black Rivers Flow, otherwise dunno the titles. Sue me.

Times Of Grace were next. Sounded awful. 0/10. Not interested. Not 14 and angry either. Maybe that was the problem.

Anonymous - faraway stage, oh well.

End of part one. Next, better bands.

And then it was time for Girlschool. I'd heard of them before, and people call 'em a second-tier NWOBHM (New Wave of British Heavy Metal) band, but kinda wrote them off. They were pretty good and some good fun, and were there a gun to my head demanding a comparison to someone else, it sounded like The Runaways playing Sweet's "Ballroom Blitz" for about 40 minutes. But then it was time to close the set, and they did so with a bang. I always assumed that "Emergency" was a Motorhead song. I haven't looked it up, so I guess I'm no better informed, but I did get the impression that it is in fact a Girlschool tune. Whatever, it was great. Made me not feel bad about not hearing it later. Plus, sirens are cool when nobody is chasing you, and this had 'em in spades. 4/10 if there'd been no "Emergency", 6.5/10 since there was.

Settlist?

Demolition Man, bunch of stuff, Never Say Never Again, bunch of stuff, Emergency.

I've loved Annihilator for a very long time. Longer than Slayer or Metallica, just less than Motley Crue or Maiden. They were the first band I was not allowed to go see (my mother thought their video for Alice In Hell was awful :content: ), in 1986 methinks. Thereabouts, anyway. Probably saw them 7/8 times from 87/92, but then they stopped playing Canadian shows, essentially, and started releasing poorer albums with every effort. They remained huge in Europe, running through the festival circuit every summer, so Ive always maintained that I'd see 'em again. Well, here it was. A mix of poor songs played well, a good song played well, a couple awesome songs played well, and Welcome To Your Death played mesmerizingly pummellingly. The good, first-2-albums cuts totally made up for the dreck, and Set The World On Fire was the title track from the less-good 3rd.

I Love Annihilator! Highlight of the weekend, maybe the year. Rating to follow, in setlist, by song.

Ambush- 4

Ultra Motion-1

King of the Kill-2.5

The Trend-0

WTYDeath (introduced as WTQuebec)-84!

The Fun Palace-8

I Am In Command-8

Alison Hell-10 ( this post's earlier reference to this song has a typo, referencing Alice in Hell, the album containing the song Alison Hell. I have trouble navigating the cursor on this silly IPad, so can't go back and change it. Quel dommage)

The Sword didn't get over the border, so they were replaced by Slaves On Dope. Fawraway stage, oh well.

As I Lay Dying are stupid. Next. 0/10

Seen Children Of Bodom a lot lately. Shredding wizard of a guitarist who has had some serious battles with alcoholism, but when he's on, Bodom's pretty good. Their name comesfrom a case in Finland, where a bunch of kids went missing near Lake Bodom. Cheerful stuff huh? Only saw a couple tunes, in a push to get to the elusive 3rd Stage to see a bit of Devildriver. Dez Fafara, the lead singer, used to be in a sh!tty band called Coal Chamber, who broke up when Dez wanted to get heavier. Devildriver were definitely heavier, but I'm not entirely sold on whether they're any good. Not bad, but not running to buy an album or anything.

Didn't see, or really care, enough to rate Bodom or Devildriver. Who cares, Morbid Angel was next!

End of part 2. Next, my head explodes.

Oops. In the Annihilator setlist, put Set the World on Fire after Fun Palace, and rate it a 7.

I've never been too much of a death metal fan. Thrash, black, industrial, doom, funeral doom, sure, but death metal only had a couple that did anything for me. Morbid Angel were a band I liked a lot for the first 4 discs, but it all got to be a bit much, and so I gave up on them round 95 or so. Sunday's set list was a good blast through the early stuff, and Nevermore is tolerable from the new disc, but I just couldn't do it.

It. Was. Way. Too. Much. For. Me.

3 songs in gave up and listened from the hill at the back, sitting with a spliff and calming my abused brain down. From the hill though, it was great, and I'm very pleased to have seen them. Don't know if I will again, unless they have great opening bands when they tour the new disc. 8/10

Setlist

Immortal Rites

Fall From Grace

Rapture

Maze Of Torment

Nevermore

Angel of Disease

Chapel of Ghouls :chug:

Where the Slime Live

Ollie, you got this next part right. Same old Anthrax festival set. I love Anthrax, so it was a good time, but wouldn't have gone out of my way. And, the cover of Sepultura's Refuse/Resist was just the opening bit, no vocals, so it was a real letdown that I Am The Law could fix. So, we left to catch the end of Diamond Head, the second NWOBHM band of the day. Got the last 2 songs. Helpless was covered by Metallica on a covers album, Am I Evil was covered by Metallica on their debut album. I kinda wanted to see something that I didn't already associate with someone else, but both were excellent. If they toured, I'd go

Anthrax-7/10

Setlist

Caught in a Mosh

Got the Time

Madhouse

Antisocial

Indians

Fight 'em Till You Cant

Metal Thrashing Mad

Only

Crap Refuse/Resist tease

I Am The Law

Diamond Head-7

Setlist

Bunch of stuff

Helpless

Am I Evil

Heat made a shade break necessary, so we skipped Opeth. Possibly a mistake. People tell me I'll like them, and they sounded awesome, but we needed to chill before Motorhead, so we sat and lstened. Great stuff, and I will definitely buy Watershed this week, and Blackwater Park soon. New disc in September, so assuming they tour it I'll see them again.

7.5/10 for sounding great, even through my apathy. My humblest apologies. Mea culpa.

End of part 3. Next, part 4.

I've loved Annihilator for a very long time. Longer than Slayer or Metallica, just less than Motley Crue or Maiden. They were the first band I was not allowed to go see (my mother thought their video for Alice In Hell was awful :content: ), in 1986 methinks.

Ah yes, Motley Crue was the first band I was not allowed to go see. But a few months after that, my parents were in a good mood an let me go see Iron Maiden. Hooray.

I never listened to Annihilator much and I have no idea why, so I did this past weekend. I definitely have to listen to some more.

End of part 2. Next, my head explodes.

Oh come on...this review is tons of fun...are you taking a dinner break or something right now?!

Diamond Head-7

Setlist

Bunch of stuff

Helpless

Am I Evil

Ah, so you saw the only two songs I know of those guys.

Heat made a shade break necessary, so we skipped Opeth.

Oh no no no. They were one of the reasons I wanted to go this year since I've never seen them and recently started listening to them. There will be other chances I am sure.

Oops." A real letdown that I Am The Law couldn't fix" would probably have made more sense in that last chunk of babbling. Pretend it says that, would you?

Damn, Motorhead just kills. Straight-ahead balls-out rock and roll, played at a volume set to rival every Harley in existence simultaneously revving. I figure if the world does blow up, and Lemmy's playing he won't even hear it. What an amazing set, and nice to get a new one, In the Name of Tragedy, even with the highly unnecessary drum solo in the middle of it. Going To Brazil has always been a favorite, Overkill was a beast, and Iron Fist? Best opener of the day. Plus, who doesn't love Ace of Spades? Nobody there, that's for sure. I've never been a big fan of Stay Clean, and so if they were going to play it, and clearly they were and did, at least they got it out of the way early, and while my ears were still ringing from Iron Fist. Kick ass, Motorhead, kick ass. 9/10

Setlist

Iron Fist

Stay Clean

Get back in the Line

Metropolis

Over the Top

One Night Stand

Chase is Better Than the Catch

I Know How To Die

In the Name of Tragedy

Going To Brazil

Killed By Death

Ace of Spades

Overkill

I feel bad for The Catalyst. They had a set during Motorhead. Needless to say, I didn't see them. 2/10 for pity.

And so it was time to find out if Kiss really sucks as much as Ive always thought they would.

They did.

Bunch of 60 year old trannies playing bad bar band rock, with more time spent on banter and makeup than doing anything about finding any actual talent. What a pathetic display. They even managed to make fire and explosions uncool! Do you have any idea how hard that is to do? They did it though. In the first half hour, I believe there were 4 songs, and probably 18 minutes of banter and woo-hooing, none of which were of any use at all.

Shortly thereafter, gave up. Sorry Kiss, not even worth seeing at a show I was already at. What does that say? Went to see about 10 minutes of Gorguts, who had a set during Kiss. Already mentioned my general lack of interest in death metal, and technical death metal really doesn't make it much better, but they sure were better than Kiss. It's like being nicer than Hitler, but there you have it.

Kiss-0/10. Just go away. I would almost go back and change other 0/10s to 1/10s just to declare how sh!t you really are

Setlist

Modern Day Delilah

Let Me Go, Rock and Roll

Firehouse

Deuce

Do You Love Me?

Calling Doctor Love

Shock Me

(I left during I Love It Loud, don't care what came next)

Gorguts -5/10, pretty good, and a relief after Kiss.

And that was it. Maybe next year will have me back going to both days, but I'm happy with having only done the one this year. Wonder who'll play next year? Judas Priest? Metallica? Cannibal Corpse? I know Im looking forward to finding out.

Fantastic review mr. slippery! It sounds like you made the best of a mediocre bill. I almost wish I was there now! ;) Yeah, I'm looking forward to next year already, should be ready to go after a break and I hope there are some inspired choices on the bill. How about Ghost? Just started listening to them, not too sure on the vocals but it's something new.

Ghost is coming in September with Enslaved and Alcest, can't wait.

Yeah, HeavyMtl 2012 with Ghost, Electric Wizard, and Godflesh would be my dream right now. Then add Cathedral, Sacrifice, and Napalm Death. Finally, let's have Sigh and Immortal. Plus, to make it up to Christine, Opeth, and I will pay attention this time.