Jambands.ca

Annual rhetorical Sappyfest thread

dave-O

I'm going! Punk's going to U2 though, so it's just me. After missing last year, I decided never to miss this festival again!

Wise choice. I thought last year was as good as it could get, but from what I'm hearing this year will blow the roof off.

Had the fortune to have a couple of pints with Julie Doiron at Ronnie's last night. She was definitely most psyched about Ladyhawk. She didn't know a lot of the artists on this year's lineup and was forthcoming about it. We talked about Dan Romano, how she didn't know what to expect from Attack In Black when she first saw/met them, how she quite likes their new album. Chad Van Gaalen and The Sadies were top of mind as well. She said also that (as usual) there were some surprises she couldn't talk about.

Looking over the lineup in retrospect it's really well curated this year. In particular a real name from my own Maritime popped up: Jerry Granelli. Jerry's probably thought of as to the Maritimes and drums as Kevin Breit is to the guitar and Ontario. Which is to say both being members of a broader incomprehsibly vast Jazz World that invariably players only really get.

JERRY GRANELLI (Halifax)

Jazz times magazine calls Granelli, “one of those uncategorizable veteran percussionists who’s done it all.†His live performances encapsulate new energy as well as the history of his chosen path–improvisation and experimentation.

I'll be there with Dan Romano!

Awesome, I wondered if you might be coming. Congrats on opening for a grammy winner... err, at least so I hear.

I thought late night Steamboat + friends as the finale last year couldn't be topped. But The Sadies at George's? Forgetaboutit.

I'll be there with Dan Romano!

Awesome' date=' I wondered if you might be coming. Congrats on opening for a grammy winner... err, at least so I hear.[/quote']

Why Dave, I don't have any idea what you're talking about. The 53' trailer being unloaded onto the stage at present belongs to the Romanos. We have an extensive light show.

So the Arcade Fire played effing Bridge Street in Sackville. That is seven kinds of awesome. Not that this is especially illuminating, but here's a brief report from a buddy's FB wall:

So I caught wind that Arcade Fire were going to play at Sappy Fest in Sackville under the name Shark Attack in a small tent for a few hundred people. So we drove up, bought tickets and waited, still not knowing if it was actually A.F. Sure enough, 11pm, the entire band came out, absolutely killed a 90 minute set, unreal. I saw them Thurs night in Dartmouth which was good, but last nights show still blew that out of the water. Thank god for inside sources, haha.

damn! the best i ever got in Bagtown was Blue Rodeo and Sass Jordan...

Sass Jordan was a year or two before I moved to town, but even still, one of my buddy's favourite taunts when watching hockey at Allison Gardens was "Hey, number ___, you're the worst thing to play here since Sass Jordan!"

Cracked me up every time.

I've got so much to say but I'm off the grid with limited cell and interwebs access this week. I never realized how crappy the cell coverage is in the maritimes. Who runs this Rogers network anyway?

I'm going to copy something written by Sean Michaels of Said The Gramophone because he expresses it better than I ever could.

Charles Bradley comes out in a red and gold suit, flying like a screaming soul eagle. We cheer, but not yet knowing. His band is magic, treasure, the finest things you could find. Charles Bradley squints at us through the fog. Still, we do not know know. Then there is a break, a beat, and the 63-year-old parts his lips. He sings. He sings like a torch thrown onto a house. There is some & heat & unassailability. Striving love, a man's hot breath. Now we know. Charles Bradley is singing a song about the murder of his brother and now we know.

He sings ten thousand beautiful things. He does the splits, gyrates, gives us hugs. He covers Neil Young's "Heart of Gold" and I am almost crying as he sings: "I am getting old." It is not that he is an old man: it is that he is showing us his soul, singing us his soul, the things he wanted, lost, won. "I love you" he shouts, crying, sweating, "I love you", breaking and mending my heart. That electric guitar, so sweet, sweeter than honey, behind him. The tent is full of gifts, gold soundz, held up, clutched hands, running us empty, right yes [HORNS HORNS HORNS] right now. - SM

It's some sort of cruel joke that Charles Bradley and U2 played simultaneously within 50kms of each other in NB Saturday night.