Jambands.ca

What I saw in my neighbourhood this morning.

hamilton

A little bit of water.

Pictures 3, 4, 7, 8 & 16 are all my neighbourhood. Needless to say, getting to work this morning was... interesting.

Rain of biblical intensity began around midnight Tuesday, and didn't let up at all until about 11am Wednesday. Then it turned into just regular rain. Right now, it is almost 3pm, and the biblical intensity has returned. I literally had a hard time sleeping last night; that's how hard the rain was pounding against the windows all night long. This is supposed to keep going all through the weekend.

I'm glad I know how to swim.

Don't drink the water.

I'm using the flooding as an excuse to drink nothing but beer.

Apparently, we had more than 400mm in under 16 hours. Rain, that is, not beer. It's still raining right now, but just regular-style, not trying-to-kill-me style. The forecast is for another 300mm by the weekend.

The newspaper tells me 35 people have died today due to flood-related incidents, mostly in mudslides in rural areas.

crazy. i'd be afraid to flush the toilet...or even go near one. I would imagine they'd be backing up.

a story and some video

I live not too far from where those first two videos were taken. The third one is pretty far away from me.

The rain has gone back (as of late Wednesday night, anyway) to just being normal-style raining, so the flooding within the city has mostly disappeared for the time being. It's still as wet as fuck out there, though.

I didn't witness any toilet issues, but I could hear sounds coming from the drains in my apartment Wednesday morning when I rolled out of bed. I live on the fifth floor so I'm not too worried about much, but I wouldn't want to live on the other side of the block - they had serious basement flooding last fall, even though the rain then was nowhere near what we just got in the last 24 hours.