Jambands.ca

Buttermilk Fried Chicken

fluffhead77

I finally decided to try my hand at making some buttermilk fried chicken as I do love me some real, home-made fried chicken. I grew up eating Bea Verucchi's famous fried chicken down the street from my Grandparents place in Spring Valley, Ill. Once in a while, I get a real hankerin' for something crispy and chicken-y that isn't the Colonel and just happened to have some buttermilk in the fridge.

Mine turned out OK, but I kinda just winged it with no recipe. I will be trying again, but I saw this recipe yesterday that I dearly would love to try.

Note* This fucker takes 5 DAYS to make!! Awesome.

Buttermilk Fried Chicken Elvis Loved

3/4 tsp thyme

1/2 tsp oregano

1/2 tsp basil

3/4 tsp onion powder

3/4 tsp garlic powder

3/4 tsp dry mustard

3/4 tsp paprika

1/2 tsp chili powder

3/4 tsp celery seed

1/8 tsp salt

3/4 tsp coriander

3/4 tsp cumin

1/2 tsp kosher salt

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

3/4 tsp ground black pepper

1/2 tsp ground white pepper

379 mL buttermilk

1 organic free range chicken divided into 1.5- to 2-lb. sections

Mix these amounts of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl, then whisk in the buttermilk until it’s thoroughly mixed.

Pour the batter over the chicken and marinate for up to five days – keep refrigerated, of course.

For frying

Now mix another 4x the above dry ingredients, and add:

30.2 grams cornstarch

252 mL all-purpose organic whole wheat flour

Dredge the marinated chicken pieces in the dry herbs/flour/cornstarch mixture mix.

Fry the dredged chicken in a large skillet with hot peanut oil @ 375 degrees. Once chicken has reached a golden brown color, finish cooking it in the oven.

Backstory :As far as people whose opinions we would trust about fried chicken go, few rate higher than Elvis Presley. He was, after all, the junk-food connoisseur who made the peanut butter, banana, and bacon sandwich a thing. So imagine our delight at seeing that Kottke has dug up an old post from the Google blog, in which the company’s executive chef, Charlie Ayers, tells the story of how he managed to pry the recipe for the King’s favorite fried chicken out of the Waldorf Astoria co-worker who had once been Elvis’s cook. (Spoiler: It takes five days to make.) Using the measurement converter Kottke suggests and Google’s very own calculator, we’ve reproduced Ayers’s “Google-sized†recipe for those of you who are more likely to be frying one chicken than 30.

Edited by Guest

Next time you are in Ottawa you gotta hit up Jean Albert's then for chicken and waffles!!!

Thier chicken can be hit and miss I find but everything else is great!

I think the trick is to go when it's busy. When I've been and it's quiet I find the chicken super dry, but I went for a huge party once and the chicken was FANTASTIC!

I made the Thomas Kellar one in Ad-hoc at home and it was incredible. that is seriously a great thing to make for people. I always wanted to have a fried chicken party. It takes time though especially with the brining process. With only one deep fryer even the cooking part takes extra time to account for. but they do hold well in the oven.

this is the same recipe:

http://momofukufor2.com/2010/03/ad-hoc-buttermilk-fried-chicken-recipe/

• 1 year later...

damn this looks good

LUCY WAVERMAN , G&M

I recently asked Andy Ricker, a chef from Portland, Ore. who has become famous as a master of authentic Thai cooking, for his iconic Pok Pok wings recipe, but he wouldn't reveal his secret. This year, Ricker opened Pok Pok NY (a casual eatery in Brooklyn) and Pok Pok Phat Thai (a noodle take-out joint on Manhattan's Lower East Side).

The sweet/salty/spicy taste of those wings has lingered with me, prompting me to create my own decadent version. Use meaty wings.

And if you don't have rice flour, use half flour and half cornstarch.

Sambal oelek is an Asian chili sauce available at Asian grocery stores and some supermarkets. If you prefer non-spicy wings, omit it.

POK POK WINGS PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES COOK TIME: 20 TO 45 MINUTES READY TIME: UP TO 1 HOUR Ingredients SAUCE 1/2 cup granulated sugar 1 cup water 1 tablespoon chopped garlic 1/3 cup fish sauce 1 tablespoon sambal oelek CHICKEN 2 pounds chicken wings 1 tablespoon vegetable oil 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped garlic 1/2 cup rice flour Vegetable oil for deep frying Method Add sugar and 1/2 cup water to a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Heat until it begins to caramelize (about 8 to 10 minutes).

When caramel is a medium-brown, carefully stir in another 1/4 cup water, garlic, fish sauce and sambal oelek. The mixture may seize, but keep on stirring and it comes back together again. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes longer or until sauce is thickened. Reserve. Mix 2 tablespoons of caramel sauce with 1/4 cup warm water. Toss with chicken wings.

Marinate for 2 to 3 hours.

Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil over medium heat in a skillet.

Add coarsely chopped garlic and cook, stirring continuously until golden brown (about 3 minutes). Reserve.

Heat 2 inches of oil in a high-sided skillet or wok to high temperature (about 350 F or until a cube of bread turns brown in 15 seconds).

Remove wings from marinade and discard marinade. Toss wings with rice flour.

Add wings to pan in batches and fry for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Adjust the heat during frying to make sure the wings do not burn before they are cooked. Place on rack and continue frying the remainder. Reheat caramel sauce and toss with wings. Scatter over fried garlic.

Garnish with coriander and sliced cucumbers