Jambands.ca

Winter reading

jaybone

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far this trip I have read Lunatic Express (thanks for the rec Hart) and The Razor's Edge. The Razors Edge was one of my favourite reads in a long time!

Next up is The Sisters Brothers. Thanks to everyone for their contributions! Skanks have some interesting taste in both music and literature.

I got Neil Young's Waging Heavy Peace for CHristmas. How do we feel about that one??

It's a fun read, but not terribly insightful if you've already read Shakey. He tends to ramble a lot, and go on tangents. I read it to myself in Neil Young's voice, which made it more fun.

Edited by Guest

160px-Mr_Penumbra%27s_24-Hour_Bookstore.jpg

My brother gave me a copy of Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan for Christmas and I liked it a lot. If you dig books, bookstores, google, knitting, secret societies (Umberto Eco, Dan Brown kind of stuff), it's a blast (far less dense than Eco, far more plausible than Brown), and it's set in our world (or maybe 15 minutes into the future). The writing is great, too, with smart characters, and plot and character elements that get mentioned early on, and which later get used as keys bits of the plot's resolution. CBC Radio did an interview with the author.

Aloha,

Brad

That sounds like a keeper, Brad. I'll have to add it to the list.

Harto and Phorbs, if you are going to give Murakami another go, I recommend skipping straight to Kafka On The Shore. By far my fave of the 5 or 6 I've read, and I think you'll like it.

Sweet. I'll add that one to the list, too.

Edited by Guest

• 2 months later...
I just read a book called Long Way Down' date=' by, is it Nick Hornby? I believe AD might have given it to me, and I'll have to thank him for introducing me to myest new favorite author.

I could not stop laughing, like eyes slammed shut laughing. The book is about four people trying to commit suicide. So very clever is this Nick.[/quote']

He is definitely me favourite contemporary fiction writer. If you haven't read High Fidelity, run to your nearest (independent) bookstore and get it. Seriously, like, now. Also, a fun bonus of reading more than one of his books is that he inserts subtle little self-referential jokes. For example, I just finished reading About a Boy, in which the main character talks about how he loves shopping at Championship Vinyl, which is the fictional record store that is the setting for High Fidelity.

Again with Nick Hornby, I just finished reading this one:

Nick-Hornby-Fever-Pitch.jpg

which details his life as an obsessive soccer fan. Most of the soccer-specific references went right over my head, but still, as a lifelong sports fan, I found it entirely relatable and a fun read. The Jimmy Fallon/Drew Barrymore movie of the same name is based on this, but aside from the overarching theme, the similarities are few and far between (which was surprising, given how the Americanized High Fidelity movie is almost an exact retelling of the book).

Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood and the Prism of Belief.

by Lawrence Wright

downloaded this torrent to my kobo as its still not available in Canada due to litigation concerns but an absolutely fascinating story. If you wanted to know what L. Ron and Scientology are actually like and about, check this one out.

The Kingkiller Chronicles: Book 1 (Name of the Wind) and Book 2 (The Wise Man's Fear).

by Patrick Rothfuss.

Recommended to me by a friend when I mentioned I loved Game of Thrones. Fantasy set in olden times, a very engaging read. Not at all like Game of Thrones but similar setting.