Jambands.ca

Favourite Hotels

jaybone

Hey Skanks!

As a group, we tend to travel a fair bit so I would like to hear about some of your favourite hotels.

It can be straight luxury, interesting local (I was thinking about Heather and Todd's stay in the underwater hotel when I started this thread), historic venue or anything that made it remarkable.

I have a few to start things rolling. Hotel Sax in Chicago is in a great location, very boutique (meaning small rooms but funky) and an awesome location complete with a bowling alley, club (great house djs) and right next to the House of Blues).

Epic in Miami lived up to it's name. Sweet roof top infinity pool with bar, very cool club downstairs and pretty much straight luxury all the way through.

We are taking a trip to Europe at the end of the week and I was checking out Aqua Palace where we will be staying in Venice. Very cool in that you need to access it by boat- but that is probably true of most hotels in Venice.

So, where are your favourite spots to stay when traveling?

For cookie cutter hotels, where you get what you'd expect from a top hotel- I always rely on the Fairmont chain.

Specifically the Turnberry Isle Resort in Miami, and the Montebello Lodge in Montebello, QC- have blown me away.

For those out of the way, boutique type hotels you mention- The City Hotel in Fredericton has themed rooms that are pretty hilarious. Try the Horny Buck or the Austin Powers room for maximum enjoyment.

Guest Low Roller

Some of my more memorable hotels:

- Diva Hotel in Athens.

This hotel is straight up made for sexy good times. From the mirror on the ceiling to the shower with a clear see-through door and a multitude of handles on the inside, it appears that every detail is geared towards facilitating carnal interaction. The price wasn't bad either.

room-5.jpg

Easyhotel in Budapest

Conceived from the Easyjet model where base services are cheap, and then you pay for additional perks, Easyhotel is essentially a clean, very affordable, and incredibly compact pod of a room in the heart of Budapest. There is literally nothing more than a sink, toilet, shower, and bed in the room. Just enough space to put your suitcase on the ground and not trip over it. The price::quality ratio is just too good to pass up if you are traveling in that part of the world.

easyHotel_Budapest09.jpg

- Penzion Kristina in Trencin, Slovakia

Nothing great about this place, other than the fact that the bedroom had a clear view into the shower via a full size window to make up for the lack of a TV so you can watch someone take a shower from the comfort of your own bed. Kinky.

Heather and I have stayed at Jules Underwater Hotel and Quebec's Ice Hotel and both were unforgettable - definitely destinations in their own right.

Under the category of best views for the buck it's hard to beat the Canmore Hotel. Another room with interesting views: Basher got us a steal on a split-level room at the Skydome with views of the playing field for about $80 a night. That was a blast too.

In Mali we stayed at a place in Djenne called the Djenne Djenna (or something close to that). The place was absolutely beautiful and made out of mud.

Perhaps my fanciest was spending a week at the Waikiki Hilton in Hawaii, which offered commercial submarine rides from their own pier.

I like hotels. I'm a sucker for free soap.

a few come to mind

Tensing Pen in Negril Jamaica

Exterior_F_1.jpg

Dusun Inn in Yogyakarta, Indonesia

5.jpg

Gheralta Lodge, Tigray, Ethiopia

V58-936880.jpg

In terms of modern opulence, the Park Hyatt in Tokyo pretty much takes it for me (Lost in Translation shot there)

park-hyatt-tokyo-02.jpg

I quite enjoyed staying at the Gladstone Hotel in Toronto. Very cool overall.

Some of my more memorable hotels:

- Diva Hotel in Athens.

This hotel is straight up made for sexy good times. From the mirror on the ceiling to the shower with a clear see-through door and a multitude of handles on the inside, it appears that every detail is geared towards facilitating carnal interaction. The price wasn't bad either.

room-5.jpg

Well then...