Jambands.ca

If you lost your entire music collection...

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

... what would you have to get first?

Hopefully this nightmare scenario never happens to any one of us, and we all make sure to backup our digital music (just like you should regularly back up all your pictures and files), but in this hypothetical situation, if you lost all your music and had to start from scratch, what would you get?

Rules: there is no limit to the number of answers, but you can't say "everything I lost".

It's happened to us and I think we got some live Phish to start things off. A friend gave us Speaking in Tongues, Are You Experienced and Ring of Fire on vinyl to get the collection going again.

It's good to keep backups off site as they burn just as well as the original copies.

Guest Low Roller

Currently I only use an external 1TB drive to back everything up. It's a manual process, and I'm not always honest about doing it regularly. Ideally I would have an off-site storage facility that creates regular back-ups automatically. My company uses A-Click Backup as the standard. It seems to work.

If I lost everything I would start off with Radiohead studio albums (natch), and a few of the indispensable live shows from various eras of the band.

• The Beatles
  • Bruce Cockburn
  • Phish
  • Sufjan Stevens
  • Paul Simon
  • Death Cab for Cutie
  • Radiohead
  • The Black Crowes

As far as storage and playback go, I use Vortexbox. It's a Linux distribution that rips, stores and manages backups. It will do scheduled, incremental backups to an external drive all by it's self, so your collection is always backed up. I've seen a lot of discussion about backup to the cloud, but FLAC files are so big that it's probably not cost effective or quick.

i've never been one to do large backups. Music would be a huge loss, but PICTURES are the most precious.

The other week I got a Dlink 320 NAS with two 2TB drives in it. They are RAID formatted so one mirrors the other. If one drive fails the other is always a perfect clone. Love it.

I'm going to backup my pics/home vids to the cloud soon as extra precaution.

The other week I got a Dlink 320 NAS with two 2TB drives in it. They are RAID formatted so one mirrors the other. If one drive fails the other is always a perfect clone. Love it.

Yup - I have all of my media on 2 of the DNS320's...both RAID, one is music, the other is movies and projects/multitracks. Whenever I think of it I'll plug in a USB drive and dump photos/multitracks off as I'm not so worried about the music/movies...still have all my CD's in boxes, that would be a headstart I guess....but that 1.5TB of MP3's would be hard to accumulate again.

Fuck it, Klezmer it is.

(Davey Boy: Cabbage Rolls and Coffee, mmm mmm good!)

My entire Dylan collection.

The 2TB worth of live Dylan (WAV, FLAC, SHN & DVD), plus every album on CD, as well my vinyl & cassettes of Bob, including rares etc.

Not like that would be possible, but that's what I would want out of my entire collection.

I don't have many mp3s, (like 2gb maybe) and I wouldn't give a shit if they did disappear, I hardly listen to them.

The first thing you do is buy a record player. That way, if aliens arrive and zap all of our digital storage means, you can still find a way to listen to music. 2nd, find every person you may have ever lent your hard drive to and get your shit back, as much as possible.

This has happened to me and it sucks ass. Your collection will likely never be the sam again cuz as we get older, there seems to be a lot less time to download/ convert/ organize as before (at least for me anyway).

It's happened to us and I think we got some live Phish to start things off. A friend gave us Speaking in Tongues, Are You Experienced and Ring of Fire on vinyl to get the collection going again.

It's good to keep backups off site as they burn just as well as the original copies.

Actually our first vinyl back in the game was mothafuckin HURON! woot woot!