Jambands.ca

NFL 2011

Whitey

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why the Broncos would get rid of him when they finally have a teacher on their squad and when they could run some of the most disgusting wildcats ever on every other down just to tire the other team out. Imagine dealing with Tebow for three quaters and then having to stop Manning. Or Manning at the start, Tebow in the middle, Manning to bring it all home. I don't see why these guys can't work together? Why does Tebow have to start for the next three years to start after that? What's wrong with having two very good and very different QBs?

That's a lot of questions but here is the general thinking that's out there from what I can gather…..

First, Manning isn't considered a teacher in the slightest. All the QBs that “mentored†under him last season showed they didn’t learn shit, no underling in Indie has gone on to anything. He takes 100% of the snaps in practice and literally demands it because the offence that Peyton runs (yes he runs it, he's essentially an offensive coordinator) is a timing offence and it pretty much requires him to take all the snaps so he can get the timing down with all his options.

Second, Peyton also isn't going to sit on the bench for 3 quarters or for even 1 quarter or for even goal line situations, he wouldn't have gone to the Broncos if that's what they wanted. He, like all great pros, has a gigantic ego and wants to be on the field at all times.

Third, Tebow is a huge off field issue because of the obvious fanatical following he has, Elway and Fox both hate it and felt it impeded their ability to run the organization. Manning was exactly what they needed to get the fuck out from under Tebowmania and back to running the organization without distraction, this is exactly what they wanted.

Fourth, to have Tebow as a backup means you have to run two different offences in practice, two extremely different offences that may/should require different personnel, it’s damn hard to do that. Most (smart) teams don’t want to do that. Any team that’s going to succeed with Tebow (and that's a big question mark whether you can) needs to commit, 100%, to the spread option, no dicking around, Tebow’s backup should be a spread option guy as well (ie Terrell Pryor). Remember how the wildcat was going to revolutionize the game? It didn’t, teams adjusted and they adjusted to the spread option as well, the Broncos lost 4 straight to end the season. People forget how banged up the Steelers were in the playoffs, they were missing key personnel including a starting safety who erased a lot of mistakes by the Steelers DBs. Rapelisburger was a mess and should have been sitting for the last four games. Doesn’t mean you can’t call the wildcat or spread every now and then but you can’t run it all the time, at least that’s the current thought.

Phew, that’s the best I could piece together.

In regard to your statement that Tebow is a very good QB, he’s generally considered a terrible QB. Poor footwork, terribly long delivery, holds the ball down, poor release. I'm not going to get into the “yeah but he wins†thing because I watched almost all his games and it was the defence and teams just not playing him right in the last four minutes but I do see why he’s got his backers. I’ll watch most of his games next year because it’s an interesting experiment no matter what happens. Ultimately the Broncos aren't the team that will be willing to even attempt a platoon, some other team may but keep in mind, Tebow wants to be a starter.

For all of that, I don't know why Irsay would let Manning go when he could have a vet like him teach whoever he lands in the draft for a season or two? It didn't hurt Flynn or Rogers to play behind someone really really good for awhile, did it?

Peyton was owed a $28 million dollar bonus, not pay cheque, bonus on top of his 20 million dollar salary if they kept him. $48 million for a guy that has his neck fused is a lot. Again, Peyton is not considered a teacher and demands a 100% of the snaps to run the offence (and again, rightly so because it’s a complicated, timing offence). It seems to be the right business decision on Indie’s part (provided that Luck turns out to be the best QB since Peyton).

That said, it would make a hell of a lot more sense to have Luck under Peyton, than Tebow under Peyton and just force Peyton to give up a few snaps and spread the knowledge because Luck has the brains and skils to run Peyton's offence but Tebow doesn't. If I was Irsay I would have bitten the bullet, kept Manning, tried to make it work and let Luck mature.

edit: I've got add that there's a theory that Peyton only would have stayed in Indie if they were completely committed to trying to win one more Superbowl in the next 3-4 years, drafting Luck and not a desperately needed linebacker/o-line/shutdown corner is not committing to winning a Superbowl.

Has that (2 quarterbacks "sharing" the game) ever happened anywhere? CFL? Highschool football? Arena football?

I don't think the game works like that, for many reasons

You see it in college, LSU comes to mind, but in college they are allowed to have rosters that are twice the size , with tons of coaches, so they have the personnel, money (free players), facilities and time to do it. Even then you don’t see it all that often (almost never). Also, most of the offences are far simpler in college.

Tebow to the Jets (thanks for the heads up Booche) for a 4th round pick, which goes show how valuable teams think Tebow is actually worth (he was 23rd in first round initially I think).

A perfect storm of hate. I'm ecstatic. I hope it's a circus the likes of which the NFL has never seen.

Not stupidest move on the Jets part however, it'll motivate DirtySanchez and Saprano is now the offensive coordinator and he was the guy that brought the wishbone/wildcat back into the NFL. That Jets defence is fucking disgusting as well.

Can't wait, unless the Jets win the Superbowl. I'm not sure I could deal with the Giants and then the Jets winning the Superbowl.

edit: just adding I don't actually hate Tebow, I find everything about him hilarious and if you get a chance, watch the mic'd up Tebow stuff on youtube, he's the nicest guy in the world, all game long. I do however loathe the Jets and thought the media/fan cirucs around Tebow was insane.

Also just read the full deal and it's two draft picks, 4th and 6th rounders. (damn, reading fail on my part, Denver gives a 7th rounder to the Jets, so really Tebow was traded for a fourth rounder)

Edited by Guest

God bless you for participating DaveyBoy, I'm in full-on LowRoller Hamilton Bulldog lameness territory with all the off-season NFL posts, glad you're paying attention.

Tebow dominated everything last year, I'm guessing it'll be more of the same.

edit: God bless you as well FBN

Edited by Guest

The Bills defense is really starting to come together this off season... Bills just signed another strong pass rusher in Mark Anderson from the Partiots who had 10 sacks and led the team in hurries with 36 in a limited role last year... put Anderson in with Williams and Dareus and its starting to look like a pretty dominant d line.

• 2 weeks later...