Go Habs Go - Fan Forum 11/12

Guest Low Roller

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Low Roller

Pierre Gauthier and Marc Bergevin: A Comparison

Fact: Marc Bergevin is the exact opposite of Pierre Gauthier.

Fact: 95% of Habs fans are happy about Bergevin being the new GM because he represents the return of class, smarts and all around niceness to the organization.

Fact: 5% of Habs fans are morons.

Marc Bergevin is the light at the end of the tunnel and Habs fans indeed feel like they’re in heaven after going through 2ish years of pure hell.

While Habs fans were quick to cut the cord connecting Gauthier to the Habs I want to go back for one more drag through mud…considering that’s what Gauthier did to the Canadiens during his time as Supreme Overlord of the team.

Gauthier and Bergevin couldn’t be more different, here are some comparisons to prove just how different they actually are.

Marc Bergevin: Is very patient and friendly to the media. He graciously answered questions and made himself available for public appearances.

Pierre Gauthier: You paid for that cookie, right?

Marc Bergevin: Will be patient and tactical while exploring trade avenues with other General Managers throughout the league.

Pierre Gauthier: Swears that is was Gainey’s idea to trade Ryan McDonagh

Marc Bergevin: Has 20 years as an NHL player, time as an assistant coach, head of player development and Assistant General Manager on his impressive resume.

Pierre Gauthier: Has worked for the IRS, been a dentist specializing in root canals and was the General Manager of the Ottawa Senators.

Marc Bergevin: Is an overall nice guy.

Pierre Gauthier: Took the term “Nice guys finish last†way too seriously.

Marc Bergevin: Is a huge fan of the Bee Gees.

Pierre Gauthier: Gives everyone the heebeegeebees.

Marc Bergevin: Has a great sense of humour often being cited as a fantastic practical joker.

Pierre Gauthier: Idea of a joke is trading Mike Cammalleri for Rene Bourque. Get it?

Marc Bergevin: Is not a big drinker but does enjoy going for a few beers with his buddies every now

and then.

Pierre Gauthier: Drinks a glass full of Habs fans’ tears every night before bed.

Marc Bergevin: Knows this is a bit weird but loves drinking soft drinks through a straw.

Pierre Gauthier: Just sucks.

Marc Bergevin: Believes that the key to winning is by playing as a team.

Pierre Gauthier: Winning?

Marc Bergevin: Is all for the natural progression of the sport of Hockey.

Pierre Gauthier: Wants the red line added back in and thinks there’s too much shot blocking going on.

Marc Bergevin: Brings a breath of fresh air to the Canadiens organization.

Pierre Gauthier: Usually needs a breath of fresh air due to his head being up his own ass 90% of the time.

Marc Bergevin: Is keeping his distance from the student protestors, his business is Hockey.

Pierre Gauthier: Was overheard saying “Hey, aren’t those fees a bit too high?†to Gabriel Nadeau-Dubois.

Marc Bergevin: Is heavily invested in the future of the organization.

Pierre Gauthier: Is heavily invested in Facebook.

Marc Bergevin: Is spending time carefully searching for the perfect Head Coach.

Pierre Gauthier: Probably sits in first class while his wife and kids sit in coach.

Marc Bergevin: Doesn’t believe in quitting.

Pierre Gauthier: Doesn’t believe in quitting, he just does a terrible job and eventually gets fired.

Marc Bergevin: Wants to create a friendly repertoire with his players.

Pierre Gauthier: That will be $1,250, Mr. Cammalleri.

Marc Bergevin: Gives him a high five every time he runs into Youppi! in the hallway.

Pierre Gauthier: Yells “IT’S BACK†and runs away every time he runs into Youppi! in the hallway.

• 1 month later...
Guest Low Roller

I don't know if there will be hockey this year given all the millionaires fighting with all the billionaires, but I am eager to get rid of the stench of last year's season...

tumblr_m92g8llFKM1qe46u5o1_1280.jpg

"I am eager to get rid of the stench of last year's season..."

Hahahhaa. Good one.

See those 5-10 game package ticket prices? Jesusfuck. Its getting close to me being priced out of the market. When a large draft is 15 bucks and a Molson Zone ticket is getting close to the same price as a mortgage payment, its time to take stock. I absolutely love my trips to MTL with the boys more than most things in this world but the price gouging is getting out of hand. One trip for me this year, at best.

"I am eager to get rid of the stench of last year's season..."

Hahahhaa. Good one.

See those 5-10 game package ticket prices? Jesusfuck. Its getting close to me being priced out of the market. When a large draft is 15 bucks and a Molson Zone ticket is getting close to the same price as a mortgage payment, its time to take stock. I absolutely love my trips to MTL with the boys more than most things in this world but the price gouging is getting out of hand. One trip for me this year, at best.

Well, the good news is it's still 22 bones to stand at the rail at the Corel Centre and get absolutely shit faced (and it's kind of a home game for the Habs when they're in town).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Low Roller

Geez. There isn't even an official season at this point because of the potential lockout, and the Habs are already going and getting themselves injured all over the place. First Rene Bourque rips an abdominal wall and needs surgery that will keep him out until November at least, and now Mike Blunden takes a puck to the face during an unofficial scrimmage...

A2bqCe1CMAA2_p1.jpg

Saw this on 22 minutes fb page.

NHL star to co-host Season Premiere of 22 Minutes!

Hockey fans craving their favourite NHL players during the lockout can catch up with at least one star player when Montreal Canadiens defenseman, P.K. Subban, joins our cast as guest host for our Season Premiere this week.

WATCH: Tuesday, September 18, at 8:30 pm on CBC Television.

Guest Low Roller

Twitter exchanges between Habs are hilarious:

@Giostyle21: I was just at Great Skate with my son checking out some gear! He loved it. Check it out for urself at http://www.greatskate.com . Cool stuff

@jgorges26: @Giostyle21 are you guys still sharing equipment or has he out grown you now??? #beauty

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Low Roller

Charles Hudon, Habs' 5th round pick in 2012, continues to stand out from the pack in the juniors by scoring 3 goals in 4:30 minutes of the 3rd period today to win the game 4-3 for Chicoutimi against Victoriaville tonight. He also had an assist, meaning he had a point on every goal for his team.

Booche might follow this up by rightfully pointing out that juniors don't mean shit, but in this time of strife I take the good news wherever I can get it.

Guest Low Roller

Not to mention that Corey Locke ruled the AHL with the Bulldogs as well.

Still, it's nice to hear that a prospect drafted in the 5th round is doing well. What's wrong with a bit of optimism?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Low Roller

Blake Geoffrion is one lucky dude.

------------------------

Blake Geoffrion's father: 'We're lucky that he's alive'

Former Predators forward recovering from surgery to repair skull fracture

When Danny Geoffrion thinks about all his family has been through the last three days, one thought about his son Blake comes to mind.

“We’re lucky that he’s alive,†Danny said.

On Friday, Blake, a Montreal Canadiens prospect who grew up in Brentwood and was drafted by the Predators, was hit hard in an American Hockey League game by Syracuse Crunch defenseman Jean-Philippe Côté.

The hit sent Blake, who was playing for the Hamilton (Ontario) Bulldogs, soaring off the ice. When Blake landed, Danny said, the bone two inches above Blake’s left ear hit Côté’s skate. Blake’s skull was fractured and he had emergency surgery.

“They removed the piece of his skull that was about the size of a silver dollar,†Danny said by phone on Monday morning. “They had to replace that with titanium and metal mesh. And that’s what the plate consists of, with the screws and all that, so he now has that in his head. It was unreal.â€

The game took place at Montreal’s Bell Centre. Danny and his wife Kelly were in the stands when the play happened.

The Geoffrions are a hockey family, and they have seen their fair share of traumatic injuries.

Blake’s great grandfather, Howie Morenz, and grandfather, Bernie “Boom Boom†Geoffrion are Canadiens’ legends and Hockey Hall of Famers. Morenz died in 1937 after surgical complications from a severely broken leg sustained in a game at the Montreal Forum. In 1958, Bernie suffered a ruptured bowel during a Canadiens’ practice and needed emergency surgery to save his life.

Blake’s injury quickly went from bad to worse.

He was able to skate off the ice under his own power, his head bleeding. Five minutes later, Danny received a call that Blake was being taken to the hospital. In the ambulance, Blake was his typical, happy-go-lucky self.

“Blake was being Blake,†Danny said.

About 30 minutes after they arrived at the hospital, Danny was asked to consent for surgery to be performed on Blake. Shortly after Danny and Kelly left Blake and went to the waiting area, their son had gone into convulsions.

“Parts of the skull had gotten into the brain,†Danny said. “So they cleaned all that out, and took care of the little bleeding he did have, which was another major thing. He was very, very lucky.â€

Danny said that around 1 a.m., the doctor informed him of his son’s condition. But they needed to do a CAT scan, and if they found increased swelling, it could mean brain damage.

“That’s what we had to listen to,†Danny said, his voice quivering over the phone.

Danny has since left Montreal — Blake’s mother and his fiancée are still there — but he talked to his son Monday morning. Danny said Blake is walking, but cautioned that it’s a one-day-at-a- time process. Blake was removed from intensive care on Sunday.

“He’s doing OK, he’s a little raspy, not taking any calls or anything like that because of the tube that they had to insert in his throat made everything raw,†Danny said. “But he’s in good spirits and tells everybody think you for all the emails, tweets and texts.â€

Blake sent out a message on Twitter: “Thank you to everyone for their kind words and support. Today has been a little tougher but continuing to get better.â€

The Predators drafted Blake in 2006 and traded him to the Canadiens in February. His hockey future is now unclear. There’s no timetable for this type of situation, though the Canadiens said in a press release that Blake is expected to make a full recovery.

Blake, who has his degree from the University of Wisconsin, suffered multiple concussions in the past, which gives his family cause for extra concern.

“You ask me, ‘Is he going to be raring to go in a year from now?’ Yeah, absolutely, probably if everything goes well, probably in eight months to 10 months, I feel like he’ll be a race horse ready to hit it again,†Danny said. “But now you can’t just look at that aspect of it. You have to look at quality of life when he’s 50 years old.â€

Before they can start thinking about the future, the family is mostly concerned with Blake’s present.

“Now, we need Blake to be back 100 percent strong,†Danny said.

Edited by Low Roller