Jump to content

Dats a spicey meatball

Davey Boy 2.0

Recommended Posts


Two contestants in a 'world's hottest chilli' eating competition at an Edinburgh Indian restaurant had to be taken to hospital after suffering violent reactions to the spicy dish.

The Scottish Ambulance Service criticised the Kismot curry house, St Leonards Street, after 10 diners suffered vomiting and some passed out after eating the 'killer' curry during the charity event.

Two people were taken to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary after British Red Cross workers on hand at the contest on Saturday were overwhelmed by the adverse reactions to the "Kismot Killer".

Abdul Ali, one of brothers who runs the family restaurant, said he would have to tone down the dish for future contests to avoid another call out for the emergency services.

The restaurant's website states that contestants must sign a legal disclaimer before taking part in the competition, which raised £1,500 for the Children's Hospice Association of Scotland (Chas). It also advises diners to put a toilet roll in the freezer when they get home.

Ali said the contestants suffered severe stomach pains after eating the Kismot Killer in the final round.

He said: "Unfortunately they were in pain and didn't want to move. They vomited a couple of times. About three or four vomited in the toilets and some went outisde for fresh air.

"We're definitely going to cool it down next year."

The dish contains the potent Dorset naga and the Jolokia, or ghost naga, both reputed to be among the hottest varieties chillis in the world, Ali added.

Competition winner Beverly Jones, 53, from Newington, Edinburgh, said she suffered agonising stomach cramps after completing the three-round challenge.

"You had to eat the whole bowl and I finished the lot. I wouldn't recommend it. Five minutes later I was in the toilet. It was not a nice experience. I was sick. Every participant was sick. I'm not going to defend my title next year."

A British Red Cross spokeswoman confirmed that two first aiders at the competition made a judgement that an ambulance was required for the two most severely ill contestants. They included Curie Kim, a 21-year-old South Korean student who came second in the competition.

A spokesman for the Scottish Ambulance Service said: "Two patients were taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary after becoming very unwell at Kismot restaurant.

"We would urge the organisers to review the way in which this event is managed in future in order to avoid another situation where emergency ambulances are required to treat their customers."

The disclaimer on the restaurant's website states: "Kismot Restaurant will take no responsibilities for the bodily functions after you eat the curry.

"If you die whilst eating the or as a direct result of eating the curry, members if the table with [sic] share the cost of your Kismot Killer.

"If you become ill due to the Kismot Killer of if you find that you are experiencing any problems with your lover(s) then under no circumstances are you entitled to blame Kismot Restaurant or any members of its staff.

"The Kismot Killer is free if you completely finish eating it by yourself.

"For your own well being we highly recommend that you immediately put your toilet roll in the freezer when you get home."

The dish has previously caused diners to suffer nose bleeds and one elderly man had to go to hospital.

Ali said only three diners have previously managed to finish the killer curry out of at least 100 who have tried the dish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

My aunt came up from florida last summer with a few hot pepper relishes that she had made, one was nice, habaneros and cayennes, the other was ridiculous, it had a half a ghost pepper in a bug glass jar of the relish and it was so dang hot it was unreal. i stuck to the habanero one most of the day, i like a flavourful hot rather than a burn your ass out hot myself.

funny youtube clip

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...