Jambands.ca

Roll Call: Napalm Death, Toronto, Fri Oct 7th

mister slippery

We'll be at the Mavericks show. I'm really looking forward to it!! These guys are living legends!

Mr. S, you should come on up! Have you ever heard the Peel Sessions with this band? In particular the one from 1990-08-12 is so good.

Ah, The great John Peel, and his love of these wonderful Brummies. Yup, heard it, loved it.

Now, I'm even more tempted to do Ottawa. It'd be fun to see a show with people, for the first time in a while. I'll drop you a line if I can get myself moving on Sunday.

Edited by Guest

Did you find a little bit of hate before the show? I'm working on getting rid of a bad cold! Argh.

It's wayyyy too sunny and warm over here...doesn't help with the mood of a metal show. Dark and rainy it should be.

How was the show?

How long did Napalm Death play in Toronto? Looks like they might only play a little more than 1 hour here.

tentative set times 7-7:30 Deformatory, 7:45-8:15 Mortor, 8:30-9:00 FTF, 9:20-10:20+ ND

Pretty tough to find the hate, but it was there at the show.

Openers (Redeemer) just sucked. Nu-metal nonsense that kept trying to be more kvlt than it was. Just cuz you put pig squeals in yer metalcore, still makes you metalcore. Lead singer looked like Anselmo, soumnded like Durst, a poor combination. Then went outside for spliffs/whiskey, and tequila. Stumbled back inside, to find Id missed Sepulcre and um, whoever else I was meant to see on the bill. Bit surprised by the timeshift, but oh well, time for Napalm Death.

If one goes to see Napalm Death, or really any metal show without the tight jeans/eyeliner combo, there's probably gonna be a moshpit. Don't know what that is? Why are you here again? Anyway, for a small crowd, twas a mighty pit, and this pack of dudes kept getting pulled/pushed into it, to their displeasure. They ended up just fighting with folks in the pit who were "Spoiling our big night out". What a funny quote for a metal show I thought. Sound started off poor, but with 2-3 songs all problems were gone, and the show just pummelled me. Stayed out of the pit till "Suffer the Children", and I could hold back no more. Barely even mad it to song's end, though. Man, Im clearly too old for this, yet lacking in self-preservation skills enough to not give a f**k.

And, always room for Dead Kennedys covers.

Good show, good fun, hope the pack of losers woke up in the hospital or morgue.

:chug:

"Good show, good fun, hope the pack of losers woke up in the hospital or morgue."

Looks like you managed to find the hate! ;)

The only thing weird I noticed at the Ottawa show was that they kept the house lights up the whole time. I'm guessing it was to police safety in the pit but it kind of harshed the vibe.

I still go into the pit these days but fuck am I ever gassed after a few seconds. Still feeling the neck pain too. I probably gave my self a concussion from all the head banging.

Loving the new 'Witch, can't decide if it or the new Chthonic are my disc of the fall.

Saw both of them a couple weeks ago, opening for DevilDriver and Arch Enemy, and Skeletonwitch is back in a couple more weeks, although this time with Unearth and Chaimera (sp?).

Got Mastodon's "The Humter" yet? Drums are amazing, whole album quite good, but the drums are something else.

Got Mastodon's "The Humter" yet? Drums are amazing, whole album quite good, but the drums are something else.

I've only listened to it once (via Napster) and need to give it closer attention. I never really got into Mastodon though. I find the music a little... detached? Kind of like they are playing metal with some ironic distance.

ollie - better than any of their others. I actually made time for this one, as opposed to the first 3, which I seemed to get bored of seeing them open every show for 2 years, it seemed.

The Chameleon - venue was the Wreck Room, last Friday. If you have a way of working it though, time travelling or sumpin', you should go.

It was totally will be worth your while.

Any thoughts on the new Anthrax? It's growing on me and I think it's actually pretty good. I even like the total grunge redux track "Crawl". I'm impressed that Belladonna found a whole new vocal range for it. Barely sounds like him but does just enough.

Unfortunately it seems to have been removed from Napster already so I might pick it up @ HMV. Anyway, that's what I wanted to spin last night but couldn't and settled on Skeletonwitch which turned out all right.

:cheers: