Jambands.ca

Go NHL Go 11/12

Guest Low Roller

Hey wait a minute. You quoted Friedman did you not? Friedman basically said that if there were no instigator rule, as per HOFer Mark Howe's (WTF?) observations, then players would be able to "police" like they did in the "good old days". Well, Fraser responded to a question that was very similar. It makes sense to me.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh, gotcha. But Fraser's opinion isn't just about headshots, its about the idea of having the guys on the ice police the game. In that sense, i though it was a half decent counter point. But Im guilty of picking the first half relevant thing I found on the net ;). I'm sure there's a better, less long rebuttal out there somewhere.

Anyways, the point I was trying to make to you is that Miller didnt receive a head shot so Kerry Fraser's opinion doesnt really carry any weight with what Mark Howe had to say.

My thoughts exactly. Hence, I missed the connection. My mistake.

Bias aside, while I do think it sucks that Miller was hurt and now out (due to multiple concussions) I really don't think it called for a suspension, a major penalty I could have seen and I was surprised Lucic didn't get more then 2 mins (or a fine even). I don't think he tried to take him out (malicious), but I also think he just isn't skilled enough to react/move out of the way quick enough, especially since Miller (although perhaps not intentionally) was moving right in line with him to clear the puck. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I saw it. Of course Miller was upset and I understand, but he is lucky he didn't connect with the two handed swing he took. Retaliation like that never goes over well.

Regardless, it sucks to see that shit happen, although I doubt people would be as upset if it wasn't who it was.

but I also think he just isn't skilled enough to react/move out of the way quick enough

I've often thought this myself. It's so easy to slow things down on replay and make it seem like the guy had all the time in the world to make a decision on whether or not he should follow through with his actions. I'd like to see a study done on how possible (or impossible) it is for guys, skating as fast and hard as they normally do, to change direction or hold up when an opponent suddenly puts themselves in a vulnerable position.

I doubt people would be as upset if it wasn't who it was.

As much as this pains me, I totally agree.

It's so easy to slow things down on replay and make it seem like the guy had all the time in the world to make a decision on whether or not he should follow through with his actions.

I couldnt agree more. HD is a double edged sword in that respect. I really feel for the refs. Thats a hard job, especially how fast it is today. You get these super slowmo's going now that make referees look as though they are betting on the outcome of the game.

Guest Low Roller

Goalie Rick DiPietro, in the sixth season of his 15-year Islanders contract, has had a multitude of injuries in his pro career:

Oct. 14, 2005: Mild concussion vs. Philadelphia, missed one game.

Oct. 29, 2005: Sprained knee vs. Buffalo, missed one game.

Dec. 30, 2005: Mild knee sprain vs. Ottawa.

April 30, 2007: Arthroscopic surgery to repair labral tear of left hip.

March 13, 2007: Minor concussion after collision with Canadiens’ Steve Begin. Missed two games.

March 25, 2007: Second concussion in less than two weeks in game vs. Rangers, missed last seven games of season

Dec. 26, 2007: Sprained knee vs. Toronto, missed three games.

March 19, 2008: Season-ending hip surgery, missed nine games.

Oct. 27-Dec. 23, 2008: Recovering from arthroscopic knee surgery,missed 27 games.

Jan. 8-April 12, 2009: Swelling in knee, missed final 41 games of season.

Oct. 3-Nov. 28, 2009: Recovering from knee surgery, missed first 27 games of season.

March 6-April 11, 2010: Swelling in knee, missed final 12 games of season.

Dec. 22, 2010: Swelling in right knee, missed three games.

Jan. 3, 2011: Adductor injury vs. Calgary, missed five games.

Feb. 2, 2011: Facial fractures caused by punch from Penguins goalie Brent Johnson, missed 20 games.

Oct. 12, 2011: Suffered concussion on errant shot to the mask in practice. Out indefinitely.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Low Roller
Goalie Rick DiPietro, in the sixth season of his 15-year Islanders contract, has had a multitude of injuries in his pro career:

Oct. 14, 2005: Mild concussion vs. Philadelphia, missed one game.

Oct. 29, 2005: Sprained knee vs. Buffalo, missed one game.

Dec. 30, 2005: Mild knee sprain vs. Ottawa.

April 30, 2007: Arthroscopic surgery to repair labral tear of left hip.

March 13, 2007: Minor concussion after collision with Canadiens’ Steve Begin. Missed two games.

March 25, 2007: Second concussion in less than two weeks in game vs. Rangers, missed last seven games of season

Dec. 26, 2007: Sprained knee vs. Toronto, missed three games.

March 19, 2008: Season-ending hip surgery, missed nine games.

Oct. 27-Dec. 23, 2008: Recovering from arthroscopic knee surgery,missed 27 games.

Jan. 8-April 12, 2009: Swelling in knee, missed final 41 games of season.

Oct. 3-Nov. 28, 2009: Recovering from knee surgery, missed first 27 games of season.

March 6-April 11, 2010: Swelling in knee, missed final 12 games of season.

Dec. 22, 2010: Swelling in right knee, missed three games.

Jan. 3, 2011: Adductor injury vs. Calgary, missed five games.

Feb. 2, 2011: Facial fractures caused by punch from Penguins goalie Brent Johnson, missed 20 games.

Oct. 12, 2011: Suffered concussion on errant shot to the mask in practice. Out indefinitely.

Dec. 3, 2011: Left game in second period due to groin injury.

Guest Low Roller

So the Jordan Tootoo hit on Miller.... Suspendable or not? If Lucic got nothing for steamrolling Miller using the defence "he had no time to move", then surely the same defence can be applied to Tootoo, no?

I'm curious to see how Shanahan plays this one.

Some of the suggestions for conference names on Twitter (#NHLConferenceNames) are pretty funny.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the proposed changes, and especially like the fact that each team plays every other team at least twice. It paints a more accurate picture of who the strongest teams are at the end of the regular season, and means that fans in every market will, at least theoretically, have a chance to see their favourite non-local player come to town, which can only help build the brand.

Overall I like it, mostly for reasons that Hart mentions. The only downsides will be the predictability in playoff match-ups, and the loss of drama at the end of the regular season when multiple teams are still competing for multiple playoff spots right up to the very last game.

So the Jordan Tootoo hit on Miller.... Suspendable or not? If Lucic got nothing for steamrolling Miller using the defence "he had no time to move", then surely the same defence can be applied to Tootoo, no?

I'm curious to see how Shanahan plays this one.

I can't say the same defense can be applied here since the circumstances aren't really the same. Miller was in his net and not stepping in front of Tootoo like he did with Lucic. That doesn't mean I think Tootoo should have been suspended though. In my opinion, Tootoo should have received the in game penalties he got and that should have been that.

I honestly don't think the NHL/Shanahan knows how to call these types of things.

Guest Low Roller

Shanahan said in his video that Tootoo looked up and had time to move, and because he didn't he imposed a suspension. I would argue that Lucic had more time to move than Tootoo did. Oh well, the Wheel of Justice game continues.

Yeah, I watched the video and I disagree with their decision. I don't think Tootoo really had enough time to move either, but on the same hand, Miller was stationed in his crease, not 15 feet out and stepping into Tootoo's path. What I mean is, it can't be easy moving out of the way of someone who is moving into your path opposed to moving out of the way of someone just in your path. Although neither is as simple as it sounds. If that makes sense.

Regardless, I disagree with the suspension, but agree with the in game penalties, which I think Lucic should have received when he hit Miller.

Like I said, I don't think the NHL knows what to do here. I mean, Booth didn't get anything other then two minutes for his hit on Kiprusoff. (which is a better comparison in my opinion)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Low Roller

That shootout goal is SICK.

So, Bob McKenzie believes that Pronger will be shut down for the year because of a concussion-like concussion. I say he's back just before the playoffs because he's a tough SOB.

In other news, Dipietro has been placed on IR, again.

Also a knee-on-knee hit is a suspension, unless you're a Bruin, in which case it's only a fine.

Check this out, discovered it tonight. It's not on the regular sirius sport channels, its on the "Canadian" channel under "Sports Extra".

http://www.siriusxm.com/nhlhomeice

"NHL Hour with Commissioner Gary BettmanThursdays 6 pm - 7 pm ETNHL Commissioner Gary Bettman takes his turn at the microphone to talk to the most important people in sports – the fan. Mr. Bettman is live out of our SiriusXM studios in New York to answer your questions, address the issues of the day, and of course, give you the view from the very top. "

It was pretty cool, what other sports let you call in the commish? The only call I heard the caller asked about when a Pacific team would be in the winter classic and how the schedule is made. The schedule thing was really interesting. Bettman went into some good detail about it.

Your welcome, Booche.