Jambands.ca

Occupy Wall Street!

gentlemonkey

I'm kind of surprised to not see any discussion of this growing movement on here..

What do you think?

I think it's really exciting! It seems like a perfectly gentle and directed campaign.. I like that it's intentionally leader-less.. although ambiguous as to its 'end-game' expectation- I think their statements have all been sensible and anyone that's come forward to speak for the movement has been fair and eloquent.. A continually growing peaceful show of power that might continue for a long time can only result in some kind of change.. it's about time USA!

Do you find this exciting?

Do you feel like this could bring any change?

I have a big respect for people dropping their lives to support this movement.

Occupy !

Edited by Guest

I hope things will change and always hope so . The recent changes to laws in the U.S. have almost made anyone who doesn't agree with the Government (the powerful) will be deemed some type of Terrorist of some sort. This has been a long tome in the making .

Also there has been recent articles about the generations after Baby Boomers well out numbering the generations prior. Which is very interesting , meaning that there is ample people to keep current systems afloat . Also the U.S. is the only Western first world nation with a positive birth rate which supports the idea of subsequent generations' numbers .

Hopefully there will be a peaceful outcome and other nations ours included will see things not so

Harper like . He got a majority and smells like republican spirit.

Been watching (off and on) via various live-stream feeds. Watched a lot of the Boston one the other night that had all the arrests and hundreds of cops, more-less breaking it up, that night anyway.

As a long time union member, I was really happy to see the unions getting involved in NYC, especially in light of the US gov't's attempt at union breaking and the arrests of strikers that went on in Wisconsin. I imagine it won't be long before Harper jumps on that train of thought, hell, he already kinda did with Air Canada and Canada post by forcing them back to work. That's how it starts, next will be trades, food services etc etc.

One thing I found rather funny was listening a dealers account of his 5 days in NYC before heading to Boston, apparently he made over 10k selling dope. Obviously not everyone is there to protest capitalism and greed. loljb.gif

I was considering going to Toronto in my best suit(this is how I'd like to see people protest btw) but..and I feel a bit ashamed to admit it..I became worried about the possibility of chaos and changed my mind. I'm still tempted and I'll see how I feel in the morning...crazy, stupid cops scare me, crazy, stupid protesters scare me...I feel a tad guilty for my kids not going though since 'going' would realy be about them. That said, not going is mostly about them....blech..fear sucks.

Spent the day at Occupy London today. Great vibe, great discussions, and pretty tension-free. Julien Assange (WikiLeaks dude) swept in to do this speech which was a bit surreal and probably not in keeping with the "people-led" nature of it all but otherwise it was 100% people-power. Very cool.

Guest Low Roller

Passed by the Occupy Vienna protest in Austria last week. It was pretty small, and largely ineffective. Austria is well known for it's large educated middle class, and rather small upper and lower classes according to a few conversations I had there, so the protests seemed to be more anarchistic in spirit.