Jambands.ca

tablet shopping guidance NOT needed

backbacon

i would also say go for an ipad. it's pretty idiot proof, other than having to get an apple account and use itunes for everything. but what do you mean by 'play with her photos'? load and display them? edit them? there are some things that you can and cannot do on the various tablets. also, will she be using it for email? weather forecasts? surfing? then you will have to consider wifi alone or wifi and cellular capabilities.

Well, with photos she'll be doing some minor adjustments maybe... mainly cropping. Also printing them. I will have to make sure her printer has wireless capabilities.

She would use it for some internetting, oh, and spider solitaire!

I don't see the benefit of going with the extra storage capacity as she'll have that full in no time anyway. I see a potential issue with her trying to back up photos to an external hard drive. COrrect me if I'm wrong, but with the ipad she would need to back them up to the her external hard drive in two steps... putting them on to the ipad then from there on to the hard drive. A NAS drive might solve this issue but that is getting costly.

I don't see the benefit of going with the extra storage capacity as she'll have that full in no time anyway. I see a potential issue with her trying to back up photos to an external hard drive. COrrect me if I'm wrong, but with the ipad she would need to back them up to the her external hard drive in two steps... putting them on to the ipad then from there on to the hard drive. A NAS drive might solve this issue but that is getting costly.

I hemmed and hawed about getting the 64 GB version and looking back I can't believe I considered anything smaller. Just saying because it's something you can't upgrade later on without buying a new device. Video is the real killer so your mileage may vary depending on usage.

As for backing up photos, that sounds right. She could also put them on the iPad and on an external drive as two separate processes. Whatever works best.

Looking at tablets, I liked the size of the Playbook as compared to the iPad. easier to hold and was a manageable size for taking on the go.

I like the iPad but if she were to want to take it with her she might need a bigger bag.

Apple stuff is pretty idiot proof but it'd be great if they made a smaller iPad.

Hello, I'm going to buy an iPad or other tablet for my mom for Christmas so she can play with her photos without having to deal with a complicated computer.

I don't know what to buy though and am just about to start researching. Does anybody have any recommendations?

Anything but an ipad. Come on man!