Jambands.ca

Are CD's gonna be like records?

rubberdinghy

There's some pretty sweet hifi gear out there that make CD's sound pretty damn awesome. Audiophile, expensive shit. There will be a market for CD's in that crowd for sure for a long time. You don't invest a couple grand into something you're just going to "give up on." BTW, I once heard that playstation 1's were/are much sought after by the audiophile crowd for the "better than most" sound quality.

Personally, I love it when I buy a record and get the free cd inside to listen to in the car. The Truckers do it all the time. I've got the cd with Wilco and WSP and a few others too. You almost always get a free digital download with most new albums.

I'd say....to sum up.... keep the cd's that are originals, chuck the burnts unless they're great live shows, hard to find. KEEP ALL YOUR DEAD.

Are books and libraries in the physical form going the way of music stores and CDs? I hope not, but I can see books going the way of vinyl. Downloading, legal or otherwise, along with ebooks have had a big impact on libraries and in sales at book stores.

Edited by Guest

I agree Dave. I can see bookstores going more the way they are now, as in, more of the used variety. DVDs are still going strong in Canada moreso than the US as the industry has been reinventing itself in innovative and successful ways such as ultra cheap rental kiosks located in downtown cores and malls. I can't see the same sort of innovation happening with the publishing industry.

Edited by Guest

re: Playstation CD quality...

...the output sound is distorted *ever so slightly* and is pleasing to many people. As far as it being 'better', if you're looking for clean high quality representation, look elsewhere. Chances are, most everyone that would read this post would like it - though if you're used to listening to music with audiophile gear then adding a PS1 might not fit with the design motif of your stand...which may be important to you (not me)

If you want your music to sound 'louder' then step to it..and if you don't have a CD component then I say go for it!

As far as vinyl being 'collectible' as its draw I must say that's truly disappointing to think about it like that, when a vinyl record begins a direct representation of the voltage signal through the equipment rather than an encoded data set.

Much like how a piece of cellulose photographic film is a moment in time recorded for posterity, the vinyl record is certainly real. You can play one with a pin on a cup and a turntable top. Can't do that with a CD.

+1 on the superCD. Those things are amazing.