Jambands.ca

Flood at Aubrey's

Freak By Night

I agree Ollie, the whole situation has left me with a bitter taste for Aubrey's.

But the meat is excellent, and I'll use up the rest of my coupon which I think is about $80.

I can appreciate that a combination of mismanagement and bad luck put them in this mess, and I certainly wish Aubrey's nothing but success. But I've been taking my business to Brian's on Iris in the west end, closer to home, free parking, decent prices the friendly people working there are always enthusiastic to chat about music!

so there aren't actually new owners?

Velvet told me there were new owners but I guess he was mistaken. He said the staff was the same.

In that case I agree with you. i do like their products though. i'm excited about the ribeye Velvet is BBQing for me right now!

Edited by Guest

The new owners are the same staff that was running the place the past few years while the previous owner was sick. So they are technically "new" but they also should have known about the sketchiness of the situation all along. They also posted back in January that they would start honouring coupons again in May, with no mention of the 50% restriction.

The restriction that pisses me off most is that coupons can only be used on Wednesday and Thursday. People from all over the city bought coupons and to assume that we can all make it down to the market mid-week is asking a lot on top of everything else. If the new owners really want to establish some good faith I think they should allow people to use these coupons on any day of the week.

There's a good thread in the Ottawa Foodie's which details this some more. It also includes allegations that their meat isn't quite as "local" as they claim. There's also a price comparison in that thread which shows how marked up their prices might be.

I wish I could be as magnanimous about this as you are Dave. But I do agree that the staff at Brian's are excellent!

Edited by Guest

You're most welcome!

Well I went to Aubrey's after work today to get some meat. The staff was very friendly! I was on my bicycle so I only picked up a few items. 50% on the gift card, 50% cash.

If you thought I was magnanimous before Ollie, wait 'til you read my interview in the newspaper. A reporter from the Citizen was interviewing people on their way out of the store. He asked if I was angry about the whole coupon situation. I didn't have anything negative to say at all, he asked a few leading questions but I didn't bite. We'll see if he quotes me, it seemed to me his scathing article was already written.