Jambands.ca

Jam In The Dam (and moe.re!)

bradm

I booked my flights today for a Europe trip in March: first up, I'm going to Jam In The Dam, a three-day music festival in Amsterdam, with Dark Star Orchestra, Mike Gordon, Lotus, Keller William, and moe. Two rooms, every band plays every night, March 14, 15, 16.

After that, I'll be hitting up some of the shows moe. is doing in Europe after JitD, probably Bonn, Germany (March 18); Paris, France (March 20); and Milan, Italy (March 25).

Chris & Rosemary Paul, and Tammy are also coming along, but I think they're going right from Amsterdam to Paris, skipping Bonn. And yes, Chris and I will be bring recording gear. :)

Aloha,

Brad

Do you take your recording gear with you in carry-on luggage? I would assume that's the last bit of stuff you'd want lost in luggage. Curious how it shows up in the x-ray scans and how you have to explain the electronics and wires to security who know nothing about recording gear.

looking forward to a local moe. show. And will be cool to see some friendly faces. This topic reminded me that I still need to get my ticket for the Paris show. And they just happen to be on sale for some reason. Regular price is €24.90, but they are currently on sale for €14.90. In France you can buy tix from a number of places such as FNAC (a book, electronics store) and Carrefour (a supermarket chain) on-line or in person. I'm gonna order myself a ticket and pick up an actual hard ticket at one of the store outlets (likely at the Carrefour down the street from my apartment).

Let me know know if you want me to grab you tickets while they are on sale - no idea how long it's gonna last. Would be happy to grab some for you, and meet you pre-show.

http://www.fnacspectacles.com/place-spectacle/manifestation/Pop-rock-Folk-MOE--BP203.htm

http://www.spectacles.carrefour.fr/billets-spectacles/manifestation/seance/0/BP203.htm?parse=true&direct=1&frompage=BP203

Let me know know if you want me to grab you tickets while they are on sale - no idea how long it's gonna last. Would be happy to grab some for you, and meet you pre-show.

Thanks! Definitely in for a meet-up. I'll check with Chris and Rosemary and Tammy to see what they're lining up as far as tickets go.

Aloha,

Brad

I think my itinerary has changed: Mike Gordon is playing in London on March 18, so I think I'll go to Jam In The Dam on March 14-16, travel to London on/through March 17-18 (skipping moe. in Bonn on March 18), see Mike Gordon on March 18, see moe. on March 19, then travel to Paris on March 19 to see moe., and then on to Milan for the March 25 show.

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest

• 2 months later...

Here's an in-progress update from Paris.

Jam In The Dam is amazing. moe. and Mike (which is what I was mainly interested in) played in a big room, maybe 1000-1500 capacity, with cheap beers (Heineken) on tap, a great spot in front of the board to set up mic stands, and a "Yeah, sure, why are you asking?" response to questions about smoking things other than tobacco on the floor. And it was in Amsterdam.

Mike Gordon and moe. in London were also great. The venues were both small (250 capacity?), and neither were full. Each night, all the members of the bands could shake hands with each other they were so close.

Tonight is moe. in Paris, then we're off to Zurich on Thursday, then through the Alps on the train on Friday to Zurich for more moe.

Aloha,

Brad

moe.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Bus Palladium

Paris, France

Rainshine

Spine Of A Dog >

Buster

Opium

Kids >

head.

Good Trip

Down Boy >

Meat

She Sends Me

The Weight (The Band)

There were at least three tapers there (including me), and one of them has uploaded his recording:

http://www.archive.org/details/moe.2012-03-20

The club was another tiny one, maybe 100 people there, and the band was hitting on all cylinders. We have a free day in Paris today, then to Zurich tomorrow. moe.'s doing shows in Germany over the next few days, but I've only got one left: Milan on Sunday.

Aloha,

Brad

Aloha,

Brad

Zurich was great, and the train ride to Milan, through the Alps, was as amazing as I remember it from my European trip in 2001: words like "awesome" and "majestic" just don't do it justice.

I'm in Milan now, and had a show opportunity pop up that couldn't be missed: Roger Daltrey, at Teatro Smeraldo. (Special thanks to RobL for the tip.) Tomorrow night is moe., then I fly home on Monday.

Aloha,

Brad