Jambands.ca

For movie buffs and insomniacs - The Clock at the National Gallery

Cosmic ChrisC

This is supposedly pretty cool!

CHRISTIAN MARCLAY: THE CLOCK

10 Feb 2012 - 25 Mar 2012

SPECIAL EXHIBITIONS GALLERIES

Free admission with Gallery admission fee during regular hours.

Special 24-hour screenings

Free admission on nights of 9, 10, 16, 17, 18 and 19 February in conjunction with Winterlude and Thursday nights 1, 8, 15 and 22 March, between 5 pm and 10 am.

Catch the Canadian premiere of Christian Marclay's most ambitious video installation to date. The Clock evokes the wonder and illusionism of more than a century of cinema through a captivating 24-hour looped video that plays in real-time. This remarkable production compiles thousands of film references to time and timepieces creating a compelling moving image illustration of the minutes of a passing day. The Clock won a Golden Lion for best artist at the 2011 Venice Art Biennial.

Purchased 2011 with the generous support of Jay Smith and Laura Rapp, and Carol and Morton Rapp, Toronto. Jointly owned by the National Gallery of Canada and the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston.

Access to the exhibition space is subject to availability; limited seated and standing room. Undetermined waiting time is to be expected. No reservation. No photography or recording.

Haha. I'm not surprised!

I have no idea what time it actually starts! I know the first showing started around 6pm on Thursday and then was going all weekend. It's on again next weekend too, free admission. Best to call the gallery I guess.

More here on this guy's blog

Note: The Clock is open during regular National Gallery hours to March 25. Special 24-hour viewings will be held during the following periods:

6 p.m., Thursday, Feb. 9, to 5 p.m. Feb. 11.

10 a.m., Thursday, Feb. 16, to 5 p.m., February 20.

10 a.m. each Thursdays from March 1 to 22, to 5 p.m. the following day.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to this twice yesterday and it's great. It's wayyyy more interesting than you would ever think and really engaging. The scenes flow very well, it's absolutley mastery in editing.

I went from about 6pm-7:15pm and then again from 12:15am-1:30am. Something that hadn't occurred to me was how different the scenes/mood of the film would be at different times. The first time I went there was a lot of scenes of people working late or commuting, dinner scenes and that sort of thing. After midnight there was lots of scary stuff, lots of bedroom scenes, that sort of thing. I'd really like to watch the whole thing sometime - 'twould be nifty to see all the sunrise scenes in the morning, the breakfast scenes...

Fantastic piece of art in a myriad of different ways, and I'm tickled that the Gallery bought it for their collection.

Any idea what time of day it starts? I wanna try watching the whole thing.

It occurred to me that this was a dumb question. There is no start or end to the film, it's just a constant loop, like a clock.

Matter of fact, the movie is a clock. You can sure tell the time by looking at it.

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose I could wake up at 4am to go watch this for a few hours and then go to work but I won't. I'll be boring, choose sleep instead and then get woken up by my own personal alarm clock, or my cat.

Oh, a similar type of thing in Toronto...24 Hours Berlin - A Day in the Life:

Part 1:

http://www.goethe.de/ins/ca/tor/ver/en8718498v.htm

Part 2:

http://www.goethe.de/ins/ca/tor/ver/en8714859v.htm