Jambands.ca

RC: Barr Brothers @ NAC (Ott.) March 3

bradm

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Article on last night's packed show:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/music/barr-brothers-dig-into-soulful-roots/article2356608/

After all these years, it was pretty crazy to look back and see The Great Hall packed as it was for the Barr Brothers. (Balcony was closed though). Enjoyed the gig very much. Little Scream was good too. Enjoy the Ottawa gig folks!

yah it was pretty crazy! considering last year I saw them play in the Dakota Tavern to like 30 people. but every show they've done in toronto has been more and more packed. thursday night was probably their best performance in the city, glad so many people are starting to recognize them.

Thursday night was also the first time I'd seen other musicians sit in with the band. For those who weren't there, 2 players from Little Scream sat in (one of them being the tall lanky ginger fella from Arcade Fire), and a fiddle player.

The last time they played at the Dakota I felt like it didn't work so well. A major chunk of their repertoire is pretty hushed/soft (no negative connotation intended at all), which isn't so conducive to that room.

How was that show in Ottawa?

Edited by Guest

I haven't been to the 4th stage in a while... where's the entrance again? Is through the main doors and to the right or is there a dedicated entrance?

There's a dedicated entrance, just up Elgin from where the Oscar Peterson statue is located.

Aloha,

Brad

The Barr Brothers

Saturday, March 3, 2012

National Arts Centre, 4th Stage

Ottawa, ON

Intro >

I Know I Know

Old Mythologies

Kisses From Chelsea

The Devil's Harp

Beggar In The Morning

Ooh, Belle

Sarah Through The Wall

Give The Devil Back His Heart

Lord I Just Can't Keep From Cryin' (Blind Willie Johnson)

The Darkness Has Arms

Little Lover

If You Leave Me

Encore: Let There Be Horses

Aloha,

Brad

That was sooooooooooo good! Thank god I didn't blow it off.

I found myself searching for an analogy last to night to compare SMMD and the Barr Bros and the best I could up with was catching SMMD was like sleeping with your ex-girlfriend, always pretty good, very familiar but leaving you in a position where your thoughts drift to something that's gone, Barr Bros are a new and amazing relationship. It's its own thing and it gave them a platform to exhibit their considerable skills and it reminded me why I considered Brad and Andrew music geniuses.

The show really did it for me and Weirdness' point that the Slip would play for 10 bucks and get 30-50 out and these guys can sell out a venue is bang on and good for them, they deserve to be selling out places.

I've taken new, first time listeners to every toronto barr bros show i've seen and each time they're all blown away.

with the slip, none of my friends ever seem to 'get it'. not the case with the barr brothers.

my friends were all commenting on how amazing the lyrics were (the new song 'i know i know' for example has unbelievable lyrics' and then by the time brad and co have played every weird unknown instrument, torn apart blues and played perfect folk, my friends have simply been stunned and amazed at how good of a show they've witnessed. their live show gets better and better and brad has finally found his voice. these guys deserve to be selling out every show they play. they're without a doubt the most exciting touring band right now i think.

...and brad has finally found his voice.

I was actually thinking last night, "Remember when everyone complained about Brad's singing?" Not even an issue anymore.

He's also, duh, an amazing guitar player but it really hit home last night. His use of harmonics on his acoustic was incredible.

I have a couple of videos uploading...

It was pretty awesome seeing everyone at this experience. Had a great time. Great music, great people, great chats.

I forgot a 7" marco benevento vinyl in Valleyfield that andrew signed for me (he's on drums) and thankfully he rescued it and brought it to town for me.

Can't wait to see that first capture you got Ollie. Perfect timing!

I just posted a review and photos here: http://bit.ly/zBYSWp

warning in advance -> zero proof-reading

Edited by Guest