Jambands.ca

Free Works Burgers

Velvet

The WORKS Gourmet Burger Bistro- the award-winning gourmet burger bistro, originating in Ottawa in 2001 – is celebrating its 10 year anniversary on March 6th by offering free gourmet burgers to guests of all locations, between 11am-2pm for lunch or 5pm-8pm for dinner. In true WORKS fashion, each neighborhood bistro has selected a local charity in their community and will be collecting monetary donations while serving up complimentary gourmet burgers. Every restaurant will offer a full menu selection, allowing guests to indulge in one of its 70 renowned gourmet burger options. Customers may visit any one of the 10 WORKS locations on March 6th (March 20th for the London location) to indulge in a complimentary gourmet burger while supporting the local community. The popular gourmet burger bistro currently has new locations under construction in Toronto, Waterloo and Peterborough with an additional eight planned for 2012 and recently announced plans to open 50 new stores across Canada.

I used to like them, then they went and diluted the best burger in town brand by franchising. The quality went downhill.

I would say that about Licks Burger but I've found that Works still tastes like it used to. I had the Love Goat burger today and it was fantastic! Peppercorn crust, bacon and goats cheese.

As for waiting an hour to save $12, I think ten minutes is the upper end of how long we waited, and my burger woulda been almost $14 + tax.

Unrelated Works story:

Last time I ate there was on a special trip while I was only in Ottawa for a few days before heading overseas. They were out of the veggie patty, which they didn't tell us until after we had been there a while, ordered our drinks, etc. With three vegetarians at the table, this was not cool. We let them know we weren't pleased, but we didn't make a big stink about it. Halfway through the meal, the manager comes over and tells us that our whole table's meals (there were eight of us) were on the house. Way to secure my future business!

They were out of the veggie patty, which they didn't tell us until after we had been there a while, ordered our drinks, etc. With three vegetarians at the table, this was not cool.

Are you expecting restaurant staff to know all diners food preferences before they order? If they were out of chicken, and someone who only likes to eat chicken comes in, should staff know this and tell everyone in advance that they are out of chicken, or any specific ingredient for that matter?

If something on the menu is not available (at least a fairly main ingredient like one of the types of patties), it might be an idea for the server to inform people as they are taking their first order that it is off the menu. Of course, they could have run out some time after that point or it had not yet been communicated to the servers.

They were out of the veggie patty' date=' which they didn't tell us until after we had been there a while, ordered our drinks, etc. With three vegetarians at the table, this was not cool.[/quote']

Are you expecting restaurant staff to know all diners food preferences before they order? If they were out of chicken, and someone who only likes to eat chicken comes in, should staff know this and tell everyone in advance that they are out of chicken, or any specific ingredient for that matter?

If something on the menu is not available (at least a fairly main ingredient like one of the types of patties), it might be an idea for the server to inform people as they are taking their first order that it is off the menu. Of course, they could have run out some time after that point or it had not yet been communicated to the servers.

Exactly, Rob. We're not talking about one item on a list of many, or whining about a general lack of veggie options. They have, at most, a half dozen patties, so being out of one of them is significant, and warrants mentioning when people are seated. I would have expected the same whether or not it was what I wanted. It's pretty weak to only tell people that you are out of something once they try to order it (and they had not run out in the time since we had arrived). "Here are your menus, and just to let you know, we are out of the veggie patty" would have been the way to handle it, which the manager realized, which is why our meals were free.