Jambands.ca

Lee Fields & The Expressions in Toronto on May 5th

Jay Funk Dawg

p7N.large.jpg

Nufunk.ca, in association with Do Right Music, presents one of the all-time great funk & soul vocalists Lee Fields, returning to Toronto for the Canadian launch party celebrating his new album Faithful Man, coming out March 13th on Truth & Soul Records. This can’t-miss concert for anyone who loves classic soul takes place on Saturday, May 5th at The Great Hall -- a perfect vintage venue for this vintage singer. Opening will be Toronto’s own Maylee Todd, who will be showcasing songs from her upcoming album.

Lee Fields & The Expressions Live

Faithful Man Album Release

+ Maylee Todd & Pegwee Power

The Great Hall (1087 Queen St. W. Toronto)

Saturday, May 5th, 9 pm

$22.50 advance tickets available at ticketweb.ca, Play De Record (357A Yonge St.), Rotate This (801 Queen St. W.) & Soundscapes (572 College St.)

BUY ONLINE HERE: http://tktwb.tw/AczpAA

FACEBOOK EVENT: http://on.fb.me/vZnTol

Listen to the album’s lead single “You’re The Kind of Girl†here:

http://soundcloud.com/truthandsoulrecords/youre-the-kind-of-girl

Check out Lee's Performance at Toronto Jazz Festival last year:

9.jpg

About Lee Fields & The Expressions

www.leefieldsandtheexpressions.com

www.leefieldsmusic.com

There aren’t many artists who keep their cool well into their fifth decade in the business, but R&B veteran Lee Fields is one. After over 40 years of of touring the world with his signature raucous yet tender voice, the music he’s making today is the best of his career.

Fields’ new album with his band The Expressions, Faithful Man, will be released March 13th on Brooklyn’s Truth & Soul Records, a label which reinvents the Motown-style soul factory for a brand new era. The album interprets and pushes the formulas of great soul - thanks to Truth & Soul producers Jeff Silverman and Leon Michels and the high level of musicianship of everyone involved. These are the same individuals that co-wrote, produced, and played on Aloe Blacc’s global smash I Need A Dollar, and have provided the backdrop for records by El Michels Affair, Adele, Liam Bailey, Ghostface Killah and Jay-Z, to name a few. Faithful Man is Fields’ follow-up to the well-received 2009 album My World (Do Right/Truth & Soul).

Born and raised in the small town of Wilson, North Carolina, Fields spent his teenage years singing in church and listening to the classic sound of ’60s Memphis. By the late sixties, Lee was touring with foundational funk bands such as Kool and the Gang, Sammy Gordon and the Hip-Huggers, and Little Royal. In fact, Fields was nicknamed Little JB for his similarity to James Brown. From those beginnings, he’s created a sound that’s all his own.

With a catalog that ranges from funk to lo-fi blues, to contemporary Southern soul and collaborations with French house DJ/producer Martin Solveig, Lee Fields has done it all. With A Faithful Man, he takes it right back to the old school, with a modern take on a vintage sound, telling tales of love, heartbreak and blues in the time-honored way. And i f there were any doubt at all, take heed of Lee’s own words: “Take it from me,†he says on one track, “I still got it.â€

maylee-todd.jpg

Maylee Todd

www.mayleetodd.com

Maylee Todd is fast establishing a worldwide reputation as one of Canada’s most exciting young performers. With a quirky and charismatic stage presence, Maylee delivers an incredibly diverse repertoire of soulful indie-pop tunes — often inspired by tropical grooves, featuring such obscure instruments as the Paraguayan harp & laced with both infectious humour and a performance art aesthetic.

In 2010, Maylee released her debut album “Choose Your Own Adventure†on the Do Right! Music label in Canada, and quickly became an artist to look out for. The album has received glowing reviews from the likes of NOW Magazine and the Globe and Mail. Its lead singles ‘Summer Sounds’ and ‘Aerobics In Space’ have been played internationally on J-Wave Tokyo, Gilles Peterson’s BBC Radio 1 London, and Radio Nova in Paris; ‘Aerobics in Space’ was featured on the limited edition Do Right Serato CV Pressing in June 2011 which quickly sold out. She has shared the stage with the likes of Janelle Monae, Aloe Blacc, Esthero, Little Dragon, and The Budos Band. In December 2011, Maylee will be performing a headline showcase at the prestigious Transmusicales Conference in Rennes, France.

more info visit

www.dorightmusic.com

www.nufunk.ca

Edited by Guest

Nice! Also Lee will be in Ottawa at Ritual Nightclub on Friday May 6.

I saw them for the first time at the late night tent at the Ottawa Jazz Fest last summer & they were a major highlight! I had never heard of them before that & was converted to a total fan by about half way through the first song.

Brilliant.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...