Jambands.ca

Ottawa Bluesfest 2012 - Electrofied

bouche

Maybe they tried to book musicians, but couldn't pull them off and went with Plan C.

Bluesfest: A-Trak are you free to play bluesfest this year?

A-Trak: That depends. Do you have holes to plug my stuff into?

Bluesfest: You mean, power outlets?

A-Trak: Uh, yeah, those.

Bluesfest: Any other special equipment? A backline perhaps?

A-Trak: Uh...backline...not sure what that is. Do you have a powerbar? with like 5 sets of holes?

Bluesfest: We can arrange that.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting a pass!!!! No wait, I mean I'm passing.

I just realized this electronic ticket thing is going to screw me in attempts to purchase day passes at 50 percent off via Kijiji. The taste in my mouth is getting worse.

The fact I can't sell my ticket for the nights I don't want to go (which is many this year) makes my decision about going to Osheaga a lot easier.

Such is life, best of luck to Bluesfest, have fun for those attending, I'm sure there will be still plenty of good music but all I can really do about a line up that isn't for me (and keep in mind I like electronic music, just not the DJs they've booked) is to not give Bluesfest a single penny this year.

(welllllll I may go first night, that actually looks good to me and props for booking Tiesto, he's huge, but I'll be there for Billy Bragg and I'll be sneaking in beer)

This is what's making me rolleyes this year. This is how they're still billing themselves....they pretty much disassociated their Bluesfest brand from the genre of blues. Yet, the releases start like this:

"Canada’s largest blues festival—ranked by Billboard Magazine as one of North America’s top-ten most successful music events—the RBC Royal Bank Bluesfest"

This is what's making me rolleyes this year. This is how they're still billing themselves....they pretty much disassociated their Bluesfest brand from the genre of blues. Yet, the releases start like this:

"Canada’s largest blues festival—ranked by Billboard Magazine as one of North America’s top-ten most successful music events—the RBC Royal Bank Bluesfest"

C'mon that's really nothing new. They departed from the blues ages ago and still called it a blues festival and no one seemed to mind that much.

Then I don't understand your previous point in the slightest, it's okay to call it a blues festival even if none of the people playing "instruments" are playing the blues but it's not okay to call it a blues festival if the theme is electronic and they have one electronic stage out of FIVE stages and TWO main stage DJ acts? (granted LMFAO is god damn fucking garbage).

I've got zero problem with them having an electronic stage from now until the end of time. Tiesto is a great booking that's going to sell a lot of tickets, I know people that will consider that the musical highlight of the summer. By the way, they're the same people that consider a turn table an instrument and before you counter that I'll be overly bold and speak for them, they don't give a crap what you or I think old timer. Electronic music is popular and Bluesfest is probably smart about incorporating it, the same way they were smart about incorporating hip hop.

I think the far bigger is issue is the 10 other nights of main stage action, it's entirely under whelming and there are far too many repeats. The other stages don't match up to previous years as well. There was plenty of room to have an electronic themed Bluesfest and still make it exciting for other fan bases, I just think they failed to do so. Toss in the pricing and the electronic tickets action and it makes for a disappointing festival.

Just my opinion and I'm not saying there's not good music, it's just too sparse to make me happy about the line-up announcement. Compared to Osheaga it’s poor.

Just my opinion and I'm not saying there's not good music, it's just too sparse to make me happy about the line-up announcement. Compared to Osheaga it’s poor.

Osheaga's first year was the best lineup in my opinion; haven't gone since due to poor lineup (again, my opinion). I noticed that quite a few bands playing at Osheaga this year are playing Bluesfest too. Metric anyone? Barf.

Anyway, gotta give some thought to getting a Bluesfest pass this year. Usually, I buy right away. And yep, it totally sucks that we can't sell or give away single tickets if we can't go. That is a huge negative. I made a few people happy last year by giving away some tickets. I imagine the attendance will be lower due to that; not everyone can afford to pay $45+ for a one day pass. When people sold their single tickets, they'd sell them often for $20 or so.

The decision I made last month to leave town during the Bluesfest for Further and Phish shows turned out to be very astute. Maiden/Cooper I will see in Montreal.

Cool to read that you'll be at Maiden in Montreal! Did you get GA tickets? That's where we'll be.

Too bad Further isn't playing Bluesfest this year. They are nearby at that time.

Agreed that Osheaga's first year was the best and it was also $60 for the entire weeekend, that was a bargain of a life time.

This year is the best line-up since (IMO) and 95% of the stuff I give a crap about at bluesfest is at Osheaga and there's a bunch more good stuff. Pack it all into three days, it just seems like it'll be non stop goodness.

Agreed on Metric but hey, nice to see they got bumped up to the main stage after playing the small stage for what, 7 years, and now close the Bluesfest. What a kick in the nuts.

Then I don't understand your previous point in the slightest, it's okay to call it a blues festival even if none of the people playing "instruments" are playing the blues but it's not okay to call it a blues festival if the theme is electronic and they have one electronic stage out of FIVE stages and TWO main stage DJ acts? (granted LMFAO is god damn fucking garbage).

It was easier to swallow for a few reasons. Mostly because I only caught the name as Ottawa Bluesfest. I never noticed the tagline "Canada's largest blues festival". That is tough to swallow. I can understand being stuck with a name, but I guess they can't call it "Canada's largest MUSIC festival" for some reason. Does montreal jazzfest hold that title?

I'm more interested in introduction to the RFID Bluesband and the Cashless payment system, not to mention the extreme hard sell for adoption. Y'all ready to pay for food and beer with your wristbands?

Main selling points:

Ticket holders will benefit from much faster access into Bluesfest, and shorter lines at food, beverage, and merchandise outlets. The technology also prevents any counterfeit ticketing, and will provide Bluesfest organizers with a next generation platform for future creative initiatives with sponsor partners and artists.

One of the many drawbacks:

Your Bluesband will be the only way to make purchases at the festival.