Jambands.ca

Ottawa Bluesfest 2012 - Electrofied

bouche

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All said, Bluesfest was pretty fun last night. Started with a bit of Tangerine Dream -- was way too early to appreciate a band like that. Caught all of the Melvins set which was great. Then most of Fishbone which was only decent, I thought, due to bad sound (low volume) and a bit of a young "who are these guys?" audience.

Checked out the food options. I left dinner really late so wasn't in the mood for a ton of food but that's what each vendor seemed to be offering. I asked the guy at Stoneworks (?) if he could sell me just 2 tacos but he wasn't allowed to because of some Bluesfest pricing rules. Too bad. Ended up having a bad slice of pizza. I also noticed that Fitz' Catering isn't serving their meatball sandwich this year which is disappointing.

Back to the music... caught a few glimpses of Tiesto while walking by. Really small crowd for an opening night headliner but the people packed up front were having a good time. I wasn't in the right frame of mind to enjoy it though. Boom, boom, boom.

Sat down to watch a few Billy Bragg songs and eat. He talks a lot which I enjoyed. Kept referring to the sound bleed from Tiesto but in a good natured manner all things considered. This looked like a fun show from what I saw.

Finished the night with Grace Potter and the Nocturnals. Pretty sparse crowd at the Electronic stage for this. Was super easy to walk up to the rail. I guess I was expecting something more bluesy, a female Warren Haynes maybe, but I thought Grace and her band were pretty cheesy. They skewed too much on the country/pop side for me. I thought the cover of "Rocking in the Free World" was particularly bad. Still, Potter worked that stage like her life depended on it, at one point stepping off it to high five everyone in the front row. This band is trying hard and it will be interesting to see where they go from here.

Also,

- with the new location of the main stage, almost at the complete other end than it traditionally had been, the funnel effect is back, meaning real estate in front of the stage is limited, with fans having to fan out to the left and right at the soundboard, which is massive and creates really bad sight lines for anyone behind it.

- on the plus side, you can buy Mill Steet's Chaudière beer at the main beer tent... delicious and 7% ABV!

1. According to the graphic on this page Bluesfest is expecting / projecting 100,000 fewer patrons than last year. How did this not become news?

2. Just when you thought Denis Armstrong was the worst Ottawa reviewer (perhaps tied with the recent Jazzfest ruminations of "Bulldog" Ken Gray), along comes Tony Spears. Horrible.

Should we start a "replace Nickelback" petition?

Xavier Rudd, and or Michael Franti should suffice.

On the way out of bluesfest last night, I was completely confused as to why Tiesto was considered live music. It sounded to me like there was as CD playing with really great speakers. This Ottawa Sun commentary made me realize that it wasn't just me thinking that. At the same time, I've seen photos today of a guy on stage with some lights, wearing headphones. So freaking bizarre...and that was on the main stage in front of 16,000 12,000 [source - AD] people.

I was impressed by the sound blocking of the museum and likely hill that I couldn't hear a beat of this, and completely oblivious to the super loud party sounds while at the Electro stage watching Grace Potter rock. Although, I did hear that it was unfortunately affecting Billy Bragg at the Sheep stage.

But — and forgive my profound ignorance — I couldn’t help thinking the desired effect could be achieved a whole lot easier by just tossing on a Tiesto CD at full volume while bouncing around in headphones and twiddling knobs.

One of the papers said there were 12,000 people for the mainstage headliner, in perfect weather, on opening night. Good work Monahan. Brutal.

That number must be inflated, if attendance for Teisto was even over 7,000 I'd be amazed, the crowd didn't even reach the soundboard. LMFAO maybe had 12,000 but even then once past the soundboard people were spread out everywhere so it might not have even been 12,000.

No beer lines and access to the rail at every stage is awesome but it doesn't bode well for the fest.

Here's an update regarding last year's stage collapse:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/News/Ottawa/Freak+weather+alone+responsible+last+year+Bluesfest+stage/6896031/story.html

According to a recent article in the Ottawa Citizen, the Ontario Ministry of Labour’s investigation into the collapse of the mainstage at Bluesfest on July 17, 2011 has been completed.

According to the Citizen, the Ministry has found that the stage collapse was caused by an extreme weather event and that no charges will be laid.

Bluesfest officials have not been able to confirm the Citizen’s findings with the Ministry of Labour

In response to the story in the Citizen, Mark Monahan, the Executive Director of Bluesfest, issues the following statement:

“While we have no direct knowledge of the findings reported by the Citizen, we are pleased to hear reports that the Ministry of Labour has apparently determined that neither Bluesfest nor any of its suppliers are responsible for the stage collapse last year. The weather event last year led us to further strengthen safety procedures at Bluesfest this year, as reflected in our decision to hire an engineer to inspect all structures and our decision to hire a meteorological service to monitor the weather. The enjoyment and safety of our audiences, performers, volunteers and partners are of paramount importance to us."