Jambands.ca

Euros 2012

Davey Boy 2.0

You're the only person I've heard of that's tried to imply that he had a less than dismal tournament

Capello: Rooney “only understands Scottish†because he only appears to play well for Sir Alex Ferguson.

Guardian: The player's complete failure to make a substantive impact on the quarter‑final on Sunday – his efficiently taken penalty apart – symbolised the disappointing nature of England's defeat.... the chance Rooney missed with his head in the first half against Ukraine turned out to be a more accurate clue to his form than the goal he nodded in shortly after the interval, with which England won the match and the group. Against Italy there would be another bad miss, again with his head, when he failed to make the necessary glancing contact with Steven Gerrard's diagonal free-kick.

Roy Hodgson: Wayne Rooney did not deliver at the Euro 2012

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL@Capello for not even realizing he is mocking himself as a coach who was unable to bring out the best in English players. Telegraph'd.

Davey Boy, I also find it humorous that on one hand you will defend Andy Carroll on the phone with me because "he had no support" but when it comes to Rooney you are indirectly identifying him as the scapegoat. [insert Gary Busey applause]

As for Hodgson, he defended Wayne against Capello's hilarious criticism. Rooney may not have had a great tournament but he delivered England a goal in a one-nothing game that gave them top spot in their group and scored in the shootout against the Italians, a game in which they had the ball a mere 36 percent of the time. For the most part he did his job but you aint gonna create more than one or two chances when you dont have the ball. Had he missed multiple opportunities then we could further this discussion.

You detractors are simply pissed off because Rooney got a hair transplant but I can see how many fans are up in arms because his domestic game hasnt transferred to the international stage but I would think its more about the teams England put together. To my eyes, and I am certainly guilty of that too, tournament in and tournament out (literally) they are not nearly as solid as everyone would like to believe they are which might be why Hodgson had them park the bus against the Italians.

And to comment on yesterday's game, it highlighted 'total football'.

pong.gif

Jesus Christ, I can't believe it.

I agree with booche.

Really think Rooney was up against it alone. Wellbeck and Young had a good year with Shrek, but without Nani it ain't the same. I think Carrolls a good lad, but did nothing. Slight bias, obv, but would have liked to see Sturridge get some time.

Sturridge, Wilshere, and Ox is a good start for 2014, methinks.