Jambands.ca

Peter Gabriel 'So' Tour 2012

bradm

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/92285/Peter-Gabriel-Announces-So-25th-Anniversary-Tour

Gabriel announced today his return to North American stages to celebrate the 25th anniversary of his groundbreaking, iconic album So.

Focusing on the entirety of that multi-platinum album, the tour, entitled Back To Front, will feature Gabriel with many of the members of the original band he toured with 25 years ago and will feature the album's songs from start to finish plus some of his other biggest hits. The tour stops in 13 North American cities and tickets go on sale beginning May 23 in Canada and May 31 in the U.S. for fan club members with general on-sales to follow at www.Ticketmaster.com and www.LiveNation.com.

The tour dates include some Canadian ones:

• 09/16/12 Sun Colisee Pepsi Arena Quebec City, QC
  • 09/18/12 Tue Bell Centre Montreal, QC
  • 09/19/12 Wed Air Canada Centre Toronto, ON

Aloha,

Brad

Rant warning...

So does this officially mean the creative end of Peter Gabriel as an artist? His last 3 major projects have been about playing other artist's song, or re-working his own. His last proper album, Up, came out 10 years ago, and it was a disappointment after waiting 10 years since his last good album, Us. By my count that's 20 years since he's done anything of culturally significant value.

Please Peter, just put out some good fucking songs.

• 3 months later...

Looks like a great setlist. I'm itching to go, but have commitments that are making it hard. I've been meaning to see him ever since I missed going to see him at MLG in '84.

This is from the other night in Quebec:

Acoustic session:

01 Unknown (new song)

02 Come Talk to Me

03 Shock the Monkey

Full band:

04 Family Snapshot

05 Digging In The Dirt

06 Secret World

07 The Family And The Fishing Net

08 No Self Control

09 The Tower That Ate People (stopped due to technical problems)

10 Washing Of The Water

11 Solsbury Hill

So live:

12 Red Rain

13 Sledgehammer

14 Don't Give Up

15 That Voice Again

16 Mercy Street

17 Big Time

18 We Do What We're Told (Milgram's 37)

19 This Is The Picture (Excellent Birds)

20 In Your Eyes

Encore:

21 The Tower That Ate People (played again)

22 Biko

Just got home from the show.

I think I saw the original So tour, or at least the tail end of it; Gabriel at Amnesty International in 1988. His set at Amnesty was at the time the pinnacle of my concert-going experiences, though I was pretty unfamiliar with his music.

Tonight the show was, well I guess a bit subdued. Most of his music is fairly chill and doesn't really feel right in an arena. The lights are fan-freakin'-tastic, so much that they were the star of the show (what CK5 could do with those light booms). Frankly, those boom lights and a mass singalong Biko are the standout memories from my first show. There was a singalong this time too, but as soon as the house lights went on it was over. Not so in 1988.

The crowd was loving it and I liked it too, though I think with four PG shows under my belt I might make this the last, unless he does a theatre tour or something, I don't know.

Have a great time in Toronto everyone!