Jambands.ca

Report: Tim Thomas may sit out next season

Esau.

Boston Bruins starting veteran goaltender Tim Thomas may sit out the 2012-13 NHL season, according to a report that appeared Friday on NHL.com and in the Boston Globe.

Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli will be addressing the situation on a conference call Friday.

According to CSNE.com Bruins insider Joe Haggerty, Thomas "abruptly vacated his suburban home north of Boston and moved his family to Colorado in the middle of this season."

One of Haggerty's sources said that part of the reason for Thomas's move was a desire to potentially work with Team USA's hockey program in Colorado Springs once the goalie's playing career finished.

Thomas, the 2010 Conn Smythe Trophy winner, has one year remaining on his current deal with the Bruins and carries a $5 million cap hit for the upcoming season.

The no-movement clause in his contract, however, expires on July 1.

Last summer Thomas was recovering from hip surgery, but this summer he is in good health after posting a 3-4 record (2.14 GAA, .923 save percentage) in the Bruins’ seven-game opening-round playoff series loss to the Washington Capitals.

A two-time Vezina Trophy winner, Thomas is coming off a strong season (35-19-1) but a strange one.

The 38-year-old native of Flint, Michigan, received criticism for opting not to attend the Bruins championship ceremony at the White House, and he has been non-committal about his future with the Bruins’ hockey club.

The solid play of netminder Tukka Rask (11-8-3), who posted a better goals-against average and save percentage than Thomas, albeit in a backup role, has made him a candidate for a starting job. Rask has not played since suffering a lower-body injury on March 3.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/06/01/boston_bruins_tim_thomas_considering_year_off/

[edit to add]

A quote from the B's twitter moments ago:

Chiarelli on possibility of trading TT: "He's a world class goalie...he'd help somebody in a big way if he decided to play."^BISH
Edited by Guest

Guest Low Roller

The beauty is because he is over 35, the $5M cap hit would stay on the roster even if Thomas decides to not play.

The Habs were in the same situation last year when Gomez didn't play, but his cap hit remained... whu? what's that? he played?! Get out of here.

Well, his no-trade clause ends july 1st, but Chiarelli says they have no interest in making a trade. Apparently it may be family related according to a comment from Thomas about family first, over goaltending..but who knows, Thomas says he won't be commenting on it right now.

Thomas' cap hit is $5 million, but his actual salary next season is only to be $3 million. Chiarelli doesn't see this as crippling the team. Add to that they get some cap relief because Marc Savard is on the long-term injured reserve list. They also signed a new goaltender, so they wouldn't be short.

I find this to be rather bizarre, and can't think of any other players having done something similar.

Given his (not really relevant to this discussion) political beliefs, I chuckled when I read that he has moved to Colorado Springs. That town is about as conservative as they come (no, really).

Guest Low Roller

He confirms it on Facebook. Takes the time to advertise some sponsors as well. What a guy.

The comments are awesome. For once Bruins fans are turning their hateful gaze away from Montreal.

I find this to be rather bizarre, and can't think of any other players having done something similar.

Given his (not really relevant to this discussion) political beliefs, I chuckled when I read that he has moved to Colorado Springs. That town is about as conservative as they come (no, really).

Yeah, I thought the same Hart, very strange. Also, not only is Colorado Springs conservative, but it is also home to a few of the bigger (biggest perhaps?) evangelical churches or their headquarters if I remember correctly.

Personally, I don't care about his personal life, religious or political beliefs. Although I can guarantee we would not get along, at least from what I've read from him. I enjoyed watching him play and of course because he was on my team. But it's disappointing that he appears to be just not honoring his contract without any explanation. Very unprofessional in my opinion. At least I don't find "friends, family & faith" as a reasonable explanation. If that's really the case, just give up your contract (if that's possible).

I say just throw him on waivers and hope someone picks him up. Very unlikely I know, but at least the option is available.

If it is, it's the most arrogant ass-backwards way of going about it I've ever seen. Although, I do figure avoiding the media was Thomas' reasoning behind announcing it on facebook. Conservatives never seem to make much sense. :D

I wondered if maybe one of his kids was sick, or perhaps there was some other specific reason for this. It seems that that is not the case, though, as I would think he would have mentioned that in his official announcement. His statement would be a graceful retirement message, but comes across as absurd given what he is doing.

In terms of unloading him, perhaps once his no-trade clause expires, they could ship him to a low payroll team that needs to make the minimum cap hit? From what I understand - and correct me if I'm wrong - he likely won't be getting paid but will still be a cap hit, so it could be a good situation for a team in danger of falling below the league minimum payroll.

I didnt know his contract status and I will say, yes. If a team needs to meet the floor regarding the cap then any GM of said team will explore this option. Hell, that might play into Boston's favour if a bidding war for a non-player starts.

The only problem is that you have Tim Thomas at 39 following a year off. How many years left does he have left? I think I remembering reading 2 but if he decides to come back...well, I guess you already knew what you are dealing with if you traded for him.

The beauty is because he is over 35, the $5M cap hit would stay on the roster even if Thomas decides to not play.

The Habs were in the same situation last year when Gomez didn't play, but his cap hit remained... whu? what's that? he played?! Get out of here.

I think what you were trying to say is that Marc Bergevin is probably fucking pissed because this move by Tim Thomas immediately makes it next to impossible to unload Scott Gomez. And no, I am not suggested it wasnt before.

;)

Guest Low Roller

Apparently Thomas chose to not play this year in order to focus on a reconciliation with his wife who he is currently separated from.

Thomas's agent, Bill Zito, angrily denies this move is protection against a trade. The goalie's no-trade provision ends July 1. While Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli has said he's not inclined to make a deal, other teams are proceeding as if he'll be available.