Jambands.ca

Neil Young and Crazy Horse

The D Funk

Can't wait! I believe The Sadies go on at 7:15pm for their 20 minute opening set (before Los Lobos). Won't be missing that.

I believe it is the same set every night, and the set list that the Horse is doing on this tour is a good one. Kingston show rocked, IMO.

According to their FB page, Randy Bachman was going to sit in with The Sadies this past Friday for their opening set. Anyone know what they played?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was just Randy talking endlessly about some dinner he had with Rod Stewart in 1967, all while strumming annoying chords on his acoustic guitar.

^ bwahahahaha

I'm in tonight on the floor as well! Can't wait to see the Horse, first time since Greendale tour for me. Sadies will kill I'm sure, stoked for Lobos as well. Fairly certain it's gonna sound cavernous and shitty but I don't care!

Got me my Neil + Crazy Horse fix last night. Oh how I love Shakey. Nobody like him and he still rocks the balls off of anyone out there. The four Horsemen on stage just jamming, rocking out.

Walked in as they were singing O Canada but couldn't get to the floor since the ACC not having enough bracelets!!! They made us wait 15mins bringing out a couple of handfuls of them at a time (and finish the beers that we weren't allowed to take on the floor). I was pissed. Forgot all about it once in and saw the white boat comin' up the river and settled in up front of the sbd :D Great running into some familiar SKANK faces right there too.

Walk Like A Giant was a MONSTER. Born In Ontario and Helpless (electric) having local references added a little somethin' special. I really like the electric Helpless and it was a fun upbeat sing-a-long to end the night. Oh the interwebs ... here it is!!!

Long Live NEIL YOUNG

G&M review:

November 20, 2012

Neil Young: A still hungry man rocking fiercely

By Brad Wheeler

Potent and tall – at times a one-man perfect storm of grunge guitar

In his review of 1991 live Crazy Horse album Weld, Robert Christgau, the so-called "dean of rock critics," warned that we dare not forget that there was no "live-er rock and roller than Mr. Time Fades Away."

His reference was to Neil Percival Young. It is 2012. There is still no live-er rock and roller than Mr. Time Fades Away, no disrespect to Jack White, Pearl Jam, Dave Grohl, Arcade Fire or anyone else.

At Air Canada Centre, well into the Canadian leg of his current Alchemy Tour to support the new album Psychedelic Pill, Young was potent and tall – at times a one-man perfect storm of grunge guitar. He rocked fiercely, thoughtfully and with a locked and loaded black Les Paul. He rode horses that were not crazy, but just untamed enough. The concert did not have the sense of occasion that accompanied his Massey Hall shows (in 2007 and 2011), but the reunion with the workman plod-and-groove rhythm team of Crazy Horse (bassist Billy Talbot, drummer Ralph Molina and guitarist Frank "Poncho" Sampedro ) was the event of the week, if not the season.

I say the event of week because when Young performed Twisted Road solo on his acoustic guitar, he referenced Bob Dylan, the troubadour who played the same venue five days prior: "First time I heard Like A Rolling Stone, I felt that magic and took it home, gave it a twist and made it mine." But where Dylan's concert was self-indulgent anti-show, Young's two-hour performance was staged with big props and quirky flair. Giant video screens were done up as vintage portable TVs. Phony Fender amplifier cabinets were humungous and the majestic microphone stand in front was totem-like. Flustered lab-coated scientists were a hoot, directing the roadies and such with no precision but much animation.

And Young can still play his instrument. And sing. Dylan croaked about how it felt to be alone; Young had with him a simpatico posse. Dylan mumbled something about a last meal; Young still looks hungry. Dylan gave his audience his weird "this," when they'd paid for "that."

The night had begun with local group the Sadies, whose tidy set of purple-hazed Americana included a walk-on appearance from former Guess Who guitarist Randy Bachman, who helped out on the classic No Time. Los Lobos followed with heavy East L.A. swing.

The Crazy Horse set began with a tape of the Beatles' Day in a Life, an epic which Young memorably performed on his last visit to the venue. "Somebody spoke and I went into a dream" was a suitable introduction, because the shambolic, sprawling Psychedelic Pill (an album better on stage than on the stereo), often finds Young looking back in Sixties-soaked reverie.

First song proper (after a well-received, flag-unfurling O Canada) was Love and Only Love, an elongated anthem from 1990's Ragged Glory, with lines such as "tomorrow is a long, long time if you're a memory trying to find peace of mind."

The new Walk Like a Giant was a grungy lament to something not quite achieved, with Young wishing to tread big with the desire and vision of on idealistic era long passed. It ended with a long storm of feedback – the dying, huge groans of an electric elephant.

The Needle and the Damage Done, part of the show's acoustic middle, saw Young's spot-lit shadow set against an amplifier cabinet, ala Jimi Hendrix. The needle that "took another man" referred to former Crazy Horse guitarist Danny Whitten (1943-72).

The knockdown finale (before the encore, Helpless) was the "hey-hey, my-my" story of Johnny Rotten and a rust that never sleeps. "The king is gone," Young sang. There are many who would disagree.

THE GOODS

Hits: The opening O Canada, the unreleased, harmony-sung country-piano ballad Singer Without a Song (complete with a song-less, guitar-case-carrying young woman wandering on stage) and an extended workout of a Ragged Gloryrocker from 1990 about "keys left in a swinging door" and screwing up habitually.

Misses: The encore, Helpless, was refashioned as choogling rural-rock, awkwardly.

Crowd: Concert T-shirt wearing veterans and first-timer Neil newbies, and plaid-shirt grunge monkeys and thunder-storm guitar junkies.

Overheard: "Omemee!" One of the 18,000 in attendance yelled out the name of the town in central Ontario in which Neil Young was raised, and where he still finds "dream comfort to spare."

In a word: Like a "hurricane."

Neil Young and Crazy Horse play Kitchener, Ont., Nov. 20; Montreal, Nov. 23; Ottawa, Nov. 24.

Good times. I was a little choked that Sadies started earlier than 7:30 as printed on the ticket. Only caught their last two songs but they sounded great and quaint to see Bachman up there with them. I thought their rendition of No Time was good. And the sound was pretty clear and crisp throughout the whole night I thought (other than when Neil didn't want it to).

Los Lobos was one of my favourite parts of the night. So great to move to. I hadn't seen them since Roadside Attraction...can't even remember what year. '95 maybe? They have such a unique sound...not sure how I'd describe it and not sure I'm aware of what East L.A. Swing means but to me they had this rippin fusion of Cajun Latin psychedelia going on.

Neil and the Horse were extra raw and raunchy. Probably the most stretched out I've ever seen him play. I hadn't heard anything off the new album yet and yes walk like a giant I remember being a highlight. Loved the eerie whistling too.

Admittedly deaked out early to get a jump on traffic now that I have the trek back to Waterloo so I missed Johnny Rotten and Helpless. Foggiest drive back ever...I was having a very hard time staying awake so probably best I left when I did.

Enjoyed the show immensely even from up in the nose bleeds. My highlights were Fuckin Up, Mr. Soul and Born in Ontario. I love the slowness of Fuckin Up and Cinnamon Girl. Very interesting and weird to hear Helpless plugged in with a 4/4 beat (I think that's what they call it). Good times!

Horse tore it UP last night in Kitchener. Los Lobos was excellent as usual. Bertha rocked! David Hidalgo is truly an unsung guitar hero. The guy is amazing. LL also came out for Neil's encore of Farmer John. It was rough and loose to say the least, but a lot of fun. Love the Kitchener AUD. Chillest venue around! We pulled right up to the rink's parking lot at 6:30 and parked right beside the buses. You'd be hard pressed to see there was a Neil show going on. The room is very small and the security was chill. Great night.

Confirmed: At 67 years young, Neil Young still rocks. Big time. I enjoyed his whole set, but my personal highlights from the night were Walk Like a Giant and Twisted Road. I'm glad I was familiar with his new material as I think it upped the experience for me. And last night once again confirmed why Neil is often referred to as the "godfather of grunge." Long may you run Neil.

Peace, Mark