Jambands.ca

Recommend some TV shows

Northern Wish

Its summer and I need some things to watch while normal TV is on hiatus and sports are a joke. Perhaps you could also list a brief summary of what its about.....

I just finished 3 seasons of The League and thought it was outstanding. A half hour comedy focusing on 5 guys who play in a fantasy football league together.

Workaholics took me a lot longer. Typical stoner comedy featuring 3 co workers and the hilarity that ensues while they get through day after day at a mindless job, or mindlessly drinking and smoking pot.

I've already had my fill of Dexter and Breaking Bad so give me something new. I like comedies for these nights in a hotel room.

Boss (2011 series, on download sites). Super good.

Veep

Comedy Bang Bang (only 2 episodes so far)

Frozen Planet

If you haven't watched Party Down you really should

Perfect Couples was funny

Portlandia

Sports Show with Norm MacDonald (out of date but still funny)

Treme

* all above shows can be downloaded

Aaron Sorkin's new series debuts next week, pumped for that.

Leverage : Burn Notice meets Ocean's 11 meets The A-Team, very fun and I really enjoy the characters and actors

Justified : US Marshall returns to his Kentucky home town, super sharp scripts and Walton Goggins is Da Bomb

Homeland : gripping, intriguing, and Morena Baccarin is eye scorchingly hot

Community : keep the faith, baby

Parks & Recreation : the short first season was pretty rough, but once it became its own show it has always delivered the goods

Happy Endings : at first it seemed like yetanother Friends clone, but it has consistently been delivering the most laughs

For some reason though, and I don't know what the draw is, I watch that freaking Storage Wars wayyy too much. Yuuuuuuup, I'ma loser.

I overheard some women at my work talk about that show and how much they love it and I thought they were losers. But hey I watched the first episode of The Glass House tonight (a Big Brother rip off). I am a loser too.

IT Crowd on Netflix is incredible.

I loved that series. I had to download the final season though, and it was far and away the best of the series. The hilarious Matt Berry who plays Douglas Reynholm is also in a couple other BBC comedies and one I just watched that is twisted and funny as hell is called Snuffbox...worth hunting down.

Bored to Death is freaking hilarious.

Burn Notice (Bruce Campbell rules!)

Justified (modern-day Deadwood, with some of the same cast)

True Blood

Game of Thrones

The Killing

Hell on Wheels (not as good as Deadwood, but it gets better as it goes; Colm Meaney is fantastic)

BSG is excellent, with a spotty 3rd season; good stand-alone movies too

American Horror Story (starts out scary, but turns into more of a creepy mystery)

Some great ones on the list already but here are two that haven't been mentioned yet:

Episodes - Basically two British TV writers get flown to L.A. to write a pilot of there show for the US market. Matt LeBlanc (of Friends fame - but don't let that scare you!) is cast to play the headmaster of a prestigious private school (according to the British version). The great thing about this show is there are only 7 30 minutes episodes in the first season so you can watch it in a night or two.

Misfits - a British comedy/drama about 5 kids stuck in community service for various reasons who end up with super powers. I think they are up to series 3 so far (hour long but only 6 episodes per season)

Snuffbox - I second Bouche's call on this one. So weird, so funny.

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace - Same British guy as in Snuffbox. It is a low budget made-for-tv version of a fictional (read: doesn't exist) horror novel series by a fictional horror novelist named Garth Marenghi -- about a haunted hospital. Funny.

Game of Thrones - I'm about to start watching it.

Treme - Loved Season 1, liked Season 2. If the idea of a show that mixes music, New Orleans, community and politics sounds good to you, you'll enjoy.

Parks & Rec - funny, easy watching.

Portlandia - hilarious as well!

• 2 weeks later...
Episodes - Basically two British TV writers get flown to L.A. to write a pilot of there show for the US market. Matt LeBlanc (of Friends fame - but don't let that scare you!) is cast to play the headmaster of a prestigious private school (according to the British version). The great thing about this show is there are only 7 30 minutes episodes in the first season so you can watch it in a night or two.

god damn!!! Episodes is a great show! Joey has some great moments.