Jambands.ca

Who reads comic books?

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

Although I've been out of the loop for a while I was a heavy comic book reader in the late 80's/early 90's, and just recently got back into comic books, via digital medium of course.

The jewel of my collection is Wolverine's first appearance in Incredible Hulk #181, valued at a few thousand bucks.

I just recently read The Watchmen for the first time ever and was impressed. It's called the best comic ever written alongside The Dark Knight Returns, and I can see why.

I'm hugely enjoying The Walking Dead (which was a comic waaaay before the TV series), and I am completely sucked in. At issue #37 right now, which is the storyline that inspired the 3rd season coming up.

Also, for fun, I read the new G.I.Joe series, and was impressed how they managed to bring the characters into the real world much better than that hokey travesty in the movies.

Anybody else have some favourites out there? Whatcha reading?

I used to read a ton of "alternative" comics back in the '90s: Hate, Peepshow, Dirty Plotte, Real Stuff, American Splendour, Bitchy Bitch, Optic Nerve, Eightball, etc. Basically anything on Fantagraphics and the various other indie shops that were around back then. Not to mention mini-comics. I LOVED that shit.

I think most of those titles just petered out and I didn't find anything to replace them with. In any case, I don't read them anymore outside of pulling out some back issues from time to time.

I also used to collect Marvel and DC in the '80s but it doesn't hold much sway with me anymore. Though one of my prized possessions is a Batman sketch that John Romita Sr. did for me at the Silver Snail. He was a Marvel guy and I thought it was pretty cool that he drew a DC character for me.

I was never a collector, but I always bought/read them while growing up - my little brother used to collect them though.

I did however keep a few from my teens, like my 'Reid Fleming - The World's Toughest Milkman' comics, and I think I still have issue one of the 'Psycho Killers' (Charles Manson) collection as well.