Jambands.ca

US Election

Jay Funk Dawg

I certaiainly did not mean or intend to be offensive or rude. I really get (too) worked up when talking about the government. I work hard to avoid talking about politics, believe it or not.

For every dollar the federal government collects they only have twenty five cents to spend. Basically 75 cents go to 'adminstrative' costs. On the state level the value of that dollar goes up to 50 cents. I do not know if that clears it up.

On that last point, we can also agree.

Cheers

you weren't being rude. I just didn't get the comment about bouche letting this go.

okay, i can't resist - one final point. i'm not sure that i agree about the 75 cents going to admin costs (actually, there should be some hard #s, but then we'd disagree about their accuracy, but that doesn't matter). But...what are those admin costs? i assume they are mostly salary $s. so income that is used to buy stuff like houses, and food, and other consumer goods. so it's not necessarily waste. it works its way back into the economy.

and while the gov't does many things inefficiently (that is not disputable), one area where they would do things much more efficiently is in health insurance. there is huge waste in the private sector running health insurance. it's one of the reasons U.S. health care spending is so high. duplication of administration. also not disputable.

Thanks for the clsrification on the rude thing. it does not take much for me to 'feel bad'. I have been waiting for bouche to move this thread.

I apologize in advance, I am waiting for someone to kick my 'soap box' from out under me (ha ha).

'The Affordable Healthcare Law' is not. My feelings is that he just wanted universal coverage (which is fine). In order to sell it he had to go the way of 'AHL'. However like everything else watch out for 'the law of unintended consequences'. Coverage now takes care of the preventative stuff but when you show and are actually sick... you are going to have to pay for it.

I would have loved to seen vouchers, allowing me to shop for coverage much like I do for auto insurance.

Your 'duplication of administration' is right on the mark. I feel the government hohever is much more guilty of this than the private sector.

Thanks a lot for 'playing along'. It is helpful for me to hear from the other side of the fence every now and again.

I find it amazing that the same folks who are angry about "administrative costs" are fully willing to jump up and join the police, the military or the fire brigade and expect to get paid, but then say they want a freeze on government spending and can't figure out why taxes go up and their income goes down...

You want small government? Stop signing up for gov't positions and expecting paychecks. You want smaller government? Let healthcare become a for-profit game and see where it leaves you.

The Left is not for big gov't by essence, the Left recognizes that the gov't is more than the visible administrators. And while I think most of us would agree that middle-management is bloated, I doubt anyone thinks that putting fewer resources into the problem is the way to solve things (eg. less clean water will likely not lead to more efficient nursing care). The Right seems to believe that the self-fulfilling prophecy of denying the efficacy of gov't while cutting it's feet from beneath it will lead to a universal understanding that gov't is bad, all the while forgetting that it's their guns that hold up the standing army that keeps the gov't from doing its' duty and leaves our taxes paying for boots and rounds instead of public works and education.

The same fools will stand up and defend the standing army of the Capitalist Monarchs in one breath, and the Right to bear arms with the next, never noticing that the Right to bear arms is meant to defend the nation from just such military forces as the one they are currently occupied by. frustrating

Edited by Guest

The same fools will stand up and defend the standing army of the Capitalist Monarchs in one breath, and the Right to bear arms with the next, never noticing that the Right to bear arms is meant to defend the nation from just such military forces as the one they are currently occupied by. frustrating

:thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Time to get thread back in high-gear as we're getting closer to the election.

And it's getting more bizarre by the second. John Stewart, Stephen Colbert and David Letterman have really field day with Romney, they're almost saying - this stuff just writes itself in regards to Romney.

Here's random list of things that Romney Campaign flubs:

* Calling Medium Income (Middle Class Income) - $250,000 household income or less

* "47% of American's believe that they are victims" Comment

* 2012 London Olympics Insult

* Foreign Policy Fluff criticizing Obama for Egypt & Libya Embassy Attacks

* “Join me in welcoming the next president of the United States, Paul Ryan.â€

* Clint Eastwood and the chair

* Not releasing his taxes

* Mitt Romney app spells America wrong "A Better Amercia"

* Apparently having a fake tan to appeal to Latinos on recent Latino TV show. ( He also previously said too bad he wasn't Mexican because of the possible votes that would have helped with)

8007988084_760cd40f90.jpg

How can this guy possibly win? Polls are still only showing a slight 3-6 point lead in the polls, but if there's problems with the new voting rules, who knows what could happen... I mean Rob Ford got into office!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Post-election bitterness "An Arizona woman," reports Reuters, "in despair at the re-election of Democratic President Barack Obama, ran down her husband with the family car in suburban Phoenix on Saturday because he failed to vote, police said on Monday." The 36-year-old man was in critical condition at a local hospital but is expected to survive.

Post-election bitterness "An Arizona woman," reports Reuters, "in despair at the re-election of Democratic President Barack Obama, ran down her husband with the family car in suburban Phoenix on Saturday because he failed to vote, police said on Monday." The 36-year-old man was in critical condition at a local hospital but is expected to survive.

I guess she doesn't understand how the electoral college works. Romney won Arizona handily without her husband's vote. Why are there so many idiots in the world?