Jambands.ca

Tom Cochrane and Red Rider Free OCT 6

rubberdinghy

I saw him opening for Springsteen in August.

I'm a Red Rider fan and actually admire/like a fair amount of Tom's solo stuff.

That said, based on the show I saw last month this free show won't be worth the money.

Seriously, if he was playing my backyard for free I'd probably not even bother stepping outside.

It was an embarrassment.

I saw him opening for Springsteen in August.

I'm a Red Rider fan and actually admire/like a fair amount of Tom's solo stuff.

That said, based on the show I saw last month this free show won't be worth the money.

Seriously, if he was playing my backyard for free I'd probably not even bother stepping outside.

It was an embarrassment.

you couldn't have said it better yourself.

Seriously' date=' if he was playing my backyard for free I'd probably not even bother stepping outside.

[/quote']

If he was playing in your bathroom would you shit in the yard? I need to gauge how bad it was because I promised Dinghy I'd go.

what about if he was in your backyard and there was a huge bathtub full of quality ice cold beer, being handed out by nubile wenches and you were really thirsty?

He wasn't drunk.

I'm pretty glad I saw the show though because otherwise I'd definitely be making plans to be at The Palladium for this.

Unrehearsed?

It was pretty clear to me that the show was a one off - there's no way they were in the middle of the tour; things just didn't sound tight. I checked his website after the show and sure enough - one off.

Voice shot due to age?

Not a word of a lie: when he got to the first chorus of the first tune it was immediately clear he couldn't hit the notes so he held the mic to the crowd for them to sing along (instead of him). After this happened in the next four or five songs he even gave up trying to sing the start of the choruses himself and just held the mic out to the crowd every time.

For one tune he was having such difficulty he actually said "Let's sing this one like Tom Waits" and sang his chorus with a low gravelly shitty voice. In Moncton. Like anyone in Moncton knows who Tom Waits is.

Phoned it in?

My honest assessment is he did one rehearsal for the show that probably lasted less than an hour. And that's opening for Springsteen. I'm sure he'll really step it up for a free CUPE gig.

I suppose he could have been getting over a cold, but I doubt it.

Seriously' date=' if he was playing my backyard for free I'd probably not even bother stepping outside.

[/quote']

If he was playing in your bathroom would you shit in the yard? I need to gauge how bad it was because I promised Dinghy I'd go.

Thanks for this. It totally made my morning.

If you weren't at this show you missed OUT!

Tom's still got his signature jig down pat! Ken Greer still plays the guitar like no one else, silly faces and all. We were even treated to Kim Mitchell bassist Peter Fredette playing guitar too!!!!

The show was free, parking was free, the beers not free, but they were damn cold!

LUNATIC FRINGE!

and boy, can Tom ever channel Tom Waits.