Jambands.ca

Jack White @ The Sony Centre, October 3, 2012

Jaimoe

Great show (first of two at the former O'Keefe and later Hummingbird Centres), even though the mix on Jack White's vocals was spotty throughout, which didn't make sense given that I was sitting beside the soundboard and the excellent opener, Pokey Lafarge, sounded pitch perfect. Regardless, Jack and company still delivered.

White brought out his six-piece lady band to back him and did selections from all of his various incarnations including some dark as fuck Dead Weather and Raconteurs; they really jammed out "Steady as She Goes" and “Salute Your Solutionâ€. Many in the sold out venue seemed to know all the lyrics to White's Blunderbuss tunes (including hard-hitting single "Freedom at 21" and hit "Love Interruption"), but the White Stripes songs went over best (no surprise). Few seemed to care about the unpredictable fidelity, (although it cleared up when White played acoustic guitar and/or piano on songs such as “We’re Going to Be Friends†and “Dead Leaves on the Dirty Groundâ€) because the hall was rocking and nobody took a breather during 100-minute gig; my back is killing me today (curse you cool sloped floor). Highlights for me include the punk-blues “Hello Operator†from White Stripes standout second effort, De Stijl, and epic white blues guitar anthem, “Ball and Biscuitâ€, which came off closer to the original Elephant arrangement than what was heard on the White Stripes’ now legendary 2007 cross-Canada tour. Issues with mix aside, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the volume and intensity flowing from Jack’s guitar. The man was in fine form unleashing many punishing solos throughout the night and seems to be growing more accomplished as a guitarist the older he gets.

I've seen Jack et. al. seven times now and this show ranks somewhere in the middle (due to the sound), which is still no backhand slap since I consider White to be one of his era's greatest talents and potent live performers.

Edited by Guest

I really enjoyed the show as well but I also agree with the sound issues. I was wondering if it was just my seats (underneath the balcony) but it's good to know it was a little muddy elsewhere as well. The drummer with the all girl band was pretty fun to watch.