Jambands.ca

Rheostatics reunion Dec 5 & 6 - CANCELLED

AD

Globe and Mail story about this. it only mentions stage fright as the cause.

the link

even has a Garcia reference - although i'm not so sure about it's validity.

And the author gets the Cat Power story a bit wrong. she has not "endured some medical and financial issues on her current European tour." she actually cancelled her European tour (officially postponed, but no new dates yet) due to health issues. I have read that she's also having financial issues, which one would think might be helped out by touring.

She was on her American tour when she said she might need to cancel Europe tour due to health and potential bankruptcy, then said it was on, then postponed the Europe tour due to angioedema and that she could not afford to bring her full production with her overseas. That's how that story goes.

In 1995 I took a weekend trip to Buffalo for a Bills game. The night before the game, we found out Rheostatics were playing at a nearby bar. When we got there, on the chalkboard out front "Rheostatics" was crossed out and "Triostatics" was written underneath. Apparently Martin had some border crossing difficulties and could not make the show.

The opening band that night was The Inbreds. One of my favorite 2-man bands ever. Whatever became of them?

Anyway, this cancellation sucks for the fans of this underrated band.

Edited by Guest

She was on her American tour when she said she might need to cancel Europe tour due to health and potential bankruptcy, then said it was on, then postponed the Europe tour due to angioedema and that she could not afford to bring her full production with her overseas. That's how that story goes.

ya, I read all of that. it's really too bad. her Australian shows are still on, for now. I was really looking forward to seeing her. the new album is brilliant. I totally missed the on-sale date for her Paris show (too many shows. and often tix go on sale within a day of the show being announced) but found a ticket through the French version of craigslist for 65 euro (20 euro over cost). and now will only be able to get the 45 euro for it. hopefully she gets healthy soon. and gets her shit together.

The Inbreds broke up but still get back together for one-off shows once in a while, such as the annual Skeleton Park Festival in Kingston. Mike O'Neill has put out a few really excellent solo albums and plays fairly regularly around here. His last show in Ottawa was at Raw Sugar. He also played Wolfe Island Music Festival last summer. Dave owns and runs Zunior.com, a fantastic online record store.

Martin responds.

I'm very sorry to the Horseshoe Tavern, the Rheostatics, Tim Mech, Steve Clarkson, Shauna de Cartier, and especially our fans for what Vesely called a "shit-storm of inconvenience". I really wanted to do it and did not foresee this, otherwise I would not have said yes. I regret it very much.

All I can say is that I simply could not do it. It's not a decision I took lightly. I have played through many an ailment over the years: whooping cough, many flus and colds, complete exhaustion and finally, at the Rheostatics final show at Massey Hall, my first case of laryngitis (contracted from an opera singer... no joke). This is more difficult to deal with than any physical problem I've ever had. "Stage fright" is a light and simplistic term for my psychological blight but it'll have to do as it's been my personal concern to varying degrees since the first time I ever played in front of anyone else. I don't show it on stage because that is not where it happens -- it's the days and weeks leading up to a performance that are physically and emotionally brutal for me. Why it happened so bad this time is partly because I retired from playing live after a series of Nick Buzz performances almost two years ago and it seems as though the less I play the worse it gets. I'm not interested in talking about this publicly, but those kind people who showed concern and those who are miffed deserve more explanation. Also, there are rumours that it's due to alcohol addiction and though I've certainly had some periods of prodigious exaggeration in this and other regards this has not been the case for a long while. This whole situation aside, I haven't been happier in a long time. I live outside of Hamilton under the Niagara Escarpment where I pursue my first interests which are "nature" and painting. I also record a lot, having done the soundtrack to the documentary "Payback" and just finished an album with my group Nick Buzz. I love music and I love performing it but the public aspect of it has always felt disorienting to me. I hope to one day find my way back on to the stage, but for the time being, it just seems impossible. I am very sorry to all of those who bought concert tickets and/or airline tickets.

--Martin

From https://www.facebook.com/MartinTielli