Jambands.ca

Live music returning to Barrymore's (Ottawa)

Hartamophone

I couldn't find the earlier thread on this, but good news, in my opinion, for live music in Ottawa:

Hello there Ottawa.

We are planning on bringing more Live Bands again to Barrymore's. We have done a few in the past few years like TheWeekndXO that was very successful and some others that were not. Do you want to see more live bands at @ Barrymores? Will you be there? Feel free to suggest some local and some bigger names from around the country that you would like to see live at barrymores. Be realistic' date=' don't suggest bands that are meant for Scotiabank Place. ( I am talking about live bands here not Big Djs/EDM. EDM has been very successful and will continue at barrymores). Share this post with other people and help us see there is Large interest and support in bringing live music to barrymores again. THANKS[/quote']

Edit to add:

For events to happen at barrymores we need to get 400 people plus. Barrymores is not for events that bring 150 200 people. When that happens we lose money. 9 out of 10 live events we did in the past brought us less than 250. If live events are not happening at Barrymores its because of the lack of interest people have shown in them. Even the last two comfortably numb shows we did brought 200 people. The edm shows we do with the djs are always full and thats why we keep doing them. We will try live music again. If less then 300 people come to them we will not be able to continue doing them. Somehow people keeps asking for them but never show. This is what this post is about. Spread the word. We will do them again like we have in the past. Its up to ottawa to support us and make sure they keep happening. No one wants to lose money guys.

Edited by Guest

Of note - that second quote says they need 400+ attending shows for this to work. The capacity of the venue is 400. Whoever is running the space (or is in charge if their Facebook page) doesn't seem to have their facts straight. Also - is selling out each and every show right off the bat even the least bit realistic? Hell no. Gotta build this over time.

Some other questionable stuff: There isn't any sound gear in the club currently. Would have to be rented for each show. New events to be promoted by Embrace, from Toronto. Not necessarily bad to have a non-local promoter, but hopefully they get to know the market here quickly or it's not gonna work.

Perhaps if the "new" owners didn't ruin the place already this process would be easier to re-start.

I saw a few shows there as well. The reason a lot of people didn't go is they used to treat people like shit. If you had a few drinks and having a good time they would not hesitate to toss you out of the show. Even if you were not that bad. One time my buddy was sober but they thought he was drunk cause he stumbled up the stairs. Because he was clumsy he got kicked out. They need to chill the f@$k out if they want people to come to shows.

Yes, I greeted that FB posting with a degree of skepticism.

Quite frankly I don't think this city has the population nor the demographics required to provide an audience of 400 patrons on a regular basis. Clubs of this size seem to work well in places like Montreal and Toronto, but not so great here.

I'm very surprised that they would expect a full house for a Pink Floyd tribute act that has been playing in this city since the late 80s.

Yes, I greeted that FB posting with a degree of skepticism.

Quite frankly I don't think this city has the population nor the demographics required to provide an audience of 400 patrons on a regular basis. Clubs of this size seem to work well in places like Montreal and Toronto, but not so great here.

I'm very surprised that they would expect a full house for a Pink Floyd tribute act that has been playing in this city since the late 80s.

I saw lots of well-attended shows there in the early '90's. The demographic is similar now to then, non?

Book the right acts and it will sell. Marillion, Bonham, Dread Zeppelin, John Hammond, Rheostatics...those shows all did well.

I saw a few shows there as well. The reason a lot of people didn't go is they used to treat people like shit. If you had a few drinks and having a good time they would not hesitate to toss you out of the show. Even if you were not that bad. One time my buddy was sober but they thought he was drunk cause he stumbled up the stairs. Because he was clumsy he got kicked out. They need to chill the f@$k out if they want people to come to shows.

We had a saying that it wasn't a proper Barrymore's show unless one of us got tossed. That said, the person that got tossed was usually destroyed.

Yeah, that made me snicker.

I saw lots of well-attended shows there in the early '90's. The demographic is similar now to then, non?

Book the right acts and it will sell. Marillion, Bonham, Dread Zeppelin, John Hammond, Rheostatics...those shows all did well.

That Dread Zep show was a ton of fun, wasn't it!

People who were in their 20s and 30s in the 1990s are now in their 40s and 50s. Many of these people go to fewer shows now because they have kids, expensive mortgages, and less energy. (these are the excuses I hear when I ask many of my friends to join me to see a live band).

A lot of people currently in their 20s and 30s have no interest in seeing a band. They're all about EDM.

"Book the right acts and it will sell" - I totally agree with this, but I don't think a promoter who expects a full house for a local Pink Floyd tribute band knows a whole lot about the right acts.

All that said, I'd love to see a re-booted Barrymores succeed. That place was awesome in its heyday.

• 1 month later...
They've announced a show: "Les McKeown's Legendary Bay City Rollers" on May 3.

480457_491550864233127_1924897624_n.jpg

Aloha,

Brad

If The Bay City Rollers is the answer to your live music quandary, there's a good chance you're doing it wrong.

Edit to add: I thought the name "Les McKeown's Legendary Bay City Rollers" seemed deliberately cumbersome. Sure enough:

Currently, Mitchell, Faulkner and McKeown each regularly tour playing Rollers hits. Due to legal issues over which performers may use the band name, McKeown's group used the name: Les McKeown's Legendary Bay City Rollers. At present there is no official Bay City Rollers.
Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...
According to the staff at Babylon, the band showed up, decided the venue wasn't big enough and left.

Wow. I wonder if they have specific production needs that couldn't be accommodated (although those things are normally hammered out in advance) or if they simply thought they were above a room that size.

destroyed or pulled out their flask in front of a staff member

You looked at me, gave me a wink and proceeded to pull the flask out and take a slam...about 1 foot away, looking directly at you was the bouncer with the most confused look on his face.

Fucking priceless.

• 5 months later...
ATTENTION PROMOTERS AND BOOKING AGENCIES. : Barrymore's LIVE MUSIC GEAR IS BACK. BOOKING LIVE MUSIC SHOWS. Message us on facebook or email barrymoresbooking@gmail.com for Booking requests.

I assume (hope) that "live music gear is back" means they have a PA again.

Aloha,

Brad