Jambands.ca

Bluesfest 2013

AD

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe because the makers of those lists acknowledge guitarists such as Prince stand on the shoulders of those that went before them.

BB King isn't really too exciting for me but other people will be pleased. If Bluesfest will let you break up your pass into individual tickets this year then that would be an easy sell night.

BB is not the healthiest guy; nearly blind and can't stand for long plus he has diabetes. I've seen him twice and he puts on a good show. His voice is powerful as ever and his chops are still pretty fierce. He developed his tone trying to emulate slide guitar, especially Earl Hooker. Bouche wouldn't like him either.

BB is not the healthiest guy; nearly blind and can't stand for long plus he has diabetes. I've seen him twice and he puts on a good show. His voice is powerful as ever and his chops are still pretty fierce. He developed his tone trying to emulate slide guitar, especially Earl Hooker. Bouche wouldn't like him either.

Agreed. I've been seeing B.B live since the early nineties, when he had the blues fest at the revolving stage at Ontario Place (Little Feat, BB King, Pinetop Perkins etc) and probably every LuLu's show after that until it closed or he stopped playing there. Admittedly, I haven't seen him live in five or more years, so I cannot comment on his performances now-a-days. But, folks I know who have, have had nothing but positive reviews.

The man is simply a legend in blues music and a treasure to music in general in my opinion. His shows are always top notch, he is a pure entertainer, musicianship, story telling and making people smile, his shows have been some of the funnest I've ever attended. Worth seeing live if you haven't.

As for comparing him against Prince, meh - apples and oranges. I could easily say the same about John Mclaughlin and how he would leave Prince standing agape, but again, apples and oranges.

For those that don't know, you should expect BB to play MAYBE half the time he will be listed on the schedule. His band will "warm up" the crowd for a while. At least that has been the case the few times I have seen him headline.

Esau I was at that Forum show! I was a young noob and my old man walked me over from the marina to school me.

For those that don't know, you should expect BB to play MAYBE half the time he will be listed on the schedule. His band will "warm up" the crowd for a while. At least that has been the case the few times I have seen him headline.

Esau I was at that Forum show! I was a young noob and my old man walked me over from the marina to school me.

Right on, that was a great little fest, and venue for that matter.

As mentioned by AD, good point about his play time now-a-days. Last I saw him, it was a one or two song opening (like a lot of older blues musicians do) of his band only. It doesn't surprise me given his age and health that it would be longer now. Still worth seeing live if you haven't yet though.

Since when does Bluesfest have the blues?

Last one I attended that pretty much all blues was 2001. Favourite remains 1997 though. Little Feat and Dr. John headlined but the big draw for me was Luther Allison, who passed away about 2 weeks later. Pretty sure that was one of his last shows and his last Canadian show.

Last one I attended that pretty much all blues was 2001. Favourite remains 1997 though. Little Feat and Dr. John headlined but the big draw for me was Luther Allison, who passed away about 2 weeks later. Pretty sure that was one of his last shows and his last Canadian show.

That 97 Bluesfest was truly a classic. A few other greats played that as well but Luther Allison's performance is firmly etched in my mind. And Bluesfest was soooooo laid back then, I remember bringing in milk crates with Weirdness and running his taping rig in them and no one gave a crap.

That 97 Bluesfest was truly a classic. A few other greats played that as well but Luther Allison's performance is firmly etched in my mind. And Bluesfest was soooooo laid back then, I remember bringing in milk crates with Weirdness and running his taping rig in them and no one gave a crap.

Agreed. I still have a shirt from that show some where (can't find it though). Here's the list of performers from the back of the shirt though, that I found in a post on here from 2004 .

Little Feat

Luther Allison

Dr.John

James Cotton

Roomful of Blues

Montreal Jubilation Gospel Choir

Little Georgi & the Shuffling Hungarians

Lucky Peterson

Junior Wells

Suzie Vinnick

Deborah Coleman

Jumpin' Johnny Sansone

Long John Hunter

Tony D

Guitar Shorty

Rocket Rached & The Fat City 8

Anson Funderburgh & The Rockets feat: Sam Myers

Sherman Robertson

There was more but these were the bigger names.