Jambands.ca

Bluesfest 2013

AD

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect they'll actually do very little enforcement of the no-smoking rule.

They'll just let (some of) the non-smokers shame the smokers.

Smoking won't be eradicated at the blues fest this year, but give it 10 years and smoking will be very rare at this thing.

I don't smoke cigarettes, but "Smoke 'em if you got 'em" continues to be my motto.

I've started whipping up an affidavit, victim impact statement and a few torts (thrown in for good measure) for a class action lawsuit.

who's with me?

edit to add: This sounds like a case for....

34ioep3.jpg

I don't know man, it sounds like you've got it pretty well covered. The only step you're missing is sending Freaker a $500 bill for six minutes of your time. You gotta sell out to eat out.

As for the question at hand, from my understanding if Bluesfest wants to go smoke free it can, but it has to do so of its own accord, as the City of Ottawa smoking ban does not apply to NCC land.

If Bluesfest banned law chairs, and someone somehow brought in a lawn chair, Bluesfest could eject them from the site. They could probably rip up the ticket too. They'd likely just firmly ask the patron to check the chair at coat check in the museum for the rest of the day and not bring it tomorrow. For smokers, same thing - they can eject the patron and likely take away the ticket, but I think that's a bit heavy-handed for the first year unless it's a repeat offender or the person's being a dick about it.

I'm actually stunned he even responded to that weapons-grade derp. Unless your brother was trolling, in which case kudos Mike, it annoyed me instantly.

I'll be sure to up my game then.

If Bluesfest banned law chairs, and someone somehow brought in a lawn chair, Bluesfest could eject them from the site. They could probably rip up the ticket too. They'd likely just firmly ask the patron to check the chair at coat check in the museum for the rest of the day and not bring it tomorrow. For smokers, same thing - they can eject the patron and likely take away the ticket, but I think that's a bit heavy-handed for the first year unless it's a repeat offender or the person's being a dick about it.

That's kinda the point of discussion really. They could do that for either case. However, what happened with lawn chairs? People with lawn chairs can respect people that don't want to sit, and those that don't want to sit can also reciprocate. Shouldn't that be the same for smoking? Replace sit with smoke.

Lawn chairs aren't a health hazard to those not in lawn chairs.

That's a little cliché. People having smokes at bluesfest is not a hazard to anyone's health during that time.

I just can't accept seeing groups make claims like this and imposing what they want and citing studies and outcomes that have no bearing whatsoever on a music festival.

Why is there no outcry about serving booze? It could be easy enough to say that drinking and driving is more of a health hazard than any other hazard at bluesfest, and plenty of stats to show that. Yet...there's tons of money made behind that so no one's going to bring that up.

"We want this for everyone, we want it for the performers, the workers, the volunteers," said McDonald.

McDonald said she hope peer pressure will be enough to keep fans from smoking, and spreading second-hand smoke.

The Ottawa Council on Smoking is in favour of the new rule. The group points to a recent study by the Canadian Expert Panel on Tobacco Smoke that showed young women who are exposed to second-hand smoke are at increased risk of breast cancer.

How Is Exposure to Secondhand Smoke Related to Asthma?

Secondhand smoke is a mixture of gases and fine particles that includes:

Smoke from a burning cigarette, cigar, or pipe tip

Smoke that has been exhaled or breathed out by the person or people smoking

More than 7,000 chemicals, including hundreds that are toxic and about 70 that can cause cancer

For children who have asthma, breathing secondhand smoke can trigger an attack. The attack can be severe enough to send a child to the hospital. In rare cases, an asthma attack is so severe that a child dies.

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/campaign/tips/resources/overviews/secondhand-smoke-asthma.html