Jambands.ca

Bluesfest 2013

AD

I just can't accept seeing groups make claims like this and imposing what they want and citing studies and outcomes that have no bearing whatsoever on a music festival

Perhaps that can be the mission statement for the music festival you organize.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lawn chairs aren't a health hazard to those not in lawn chairs.

i beg to differ! have you ever tried to navigate through the crowd in the dark while ghost lawnchairs (lawnchairs that have been abandoned by their owners because the owner has decided it's fun to stand up! ) cause you to trip and fall?

;)

seriously though, happened to me many times.

i beg to differ! have you ever tried to navigate through the crowd in the dark while ghost lawnchairs (lawnchairs that have been abandoned by their owners because the owner has decided it's fun to stand up! ) cause you to trip and fall?

;)

seriously though' date=' happened to me many times.

[/quote']

Valid point.

Re: smoking.

As a smoker, I'm not opposed to a ban, but I'd much rather see a segregated area set out, although I'm sure that has it's issues as well. As it is I usually go off to the outskirts at these type of things when having a cigarette anyway.

Re: navigating in the dark

Small pen lights are invaluable for getting around at fests (even some indoor shows) for me now-a-days as I've discovered in recent years, my eye sight isn't what it used to be, especially after a dozen or so beers.

;)

seriously though' date=' happened to me many times.

[/quote']

Yeah sure Heather, blame the poor lawn chair and not the bazillion beers we drink. I actually have no problem with not tripping over the lawn chairs, they're pretty easy to spot, but it's the piles of people's coats and purses that gets me far too often and then you have to do that half-assed "Oh let me re-assemble your shit for you" thing and then wander off with a coat wrapped around your ankle.

Why is there no outcry about serving booze? It could be easy enough to say that drinking and driving is more of a health hazard than any other hazard at bluesfest, and plenty of stats to show that. Yet...there's tons of money made behind that so no one's going to bring that up

That's almost as bad as you equating lawn chairs with smoking. You can drink responsibly or even incredibly irresponsibly and make it home just fine without driving, but you can't smoke a cigarette in a crowd without a non-smoker breathing it in, therefore every instance of smoking in a crowd is an instance of smoking irresponsibly. The only way you could then equate drinking is if every drinker that passed the legal limit went on to drive irresponsibly, which isn't the case. Yes obviously the damage of drinking and driving is potentially far worse but they're both acts of irresponsibility. At least there is punitive damage for drinking and driving and there are cops all over the roads when Bluesfest closes enforcing it. And all that is ignoring the fact that the location of Bluesfest beside Ottawa's transitway has pretty much dealt with the drinking and driving issue. Busing is just too easy. Now the drinking and biking issue, there you may have something because uuuuuuh yeah, that goes down big time. Im looking at pretty much every Ottawa person on this board (and Tungsten because that was legendary).

I personally don't give rat's ass about smoking, smoke them if you got them, but it's not about me, nor is it about you, it's about Bluesfest's desire to give all patrons the right to a smoke free environment, a policy that is being echoed federally, provincially and municipally. In short, tough shit and you have too much sand in your vagina regarding lawn chairs.

Re: smoking.

As a smoker, I'm not opposed to a ban, but I'd much rather see a segregated area set out, although I'm sure that has it's issues as well. As it is I usually go off to the outskirts at these type of things when having a cigarette anyway.

Re: navigating in the dark

Small pen lights are invaluable for getting around at fests (even some indoor shows) for me now-a-days as I've discovered in recent years, my eye sight isn't what it used to be, especially after a dozen or so beers.

Bang on as always (both points).

PS We should be bickering about the lineup,I apologize

I think you guys are going about it all wrong. You got to up the ante on the lawn chair folk.

Get this:

Inflatable beds.

They won't know what to do. They're sitting there in their law chairs and you could be like, "hey, do you mind, I'm trying to watch the show. How about you bring a bed like I did and we can all enjoy the evening?"

Hilariously awesome Hal and I hate to rain on your parade (though we both know I don't), but isn't that accomplished constantly with blankets? Huh, huh? Habs fans, pfffffft, with their heads 18 million miles up their asses.

(The visual picture of the inflatable bed is just too good though, god that'd be great).

You can drink responsibly or even incredibly irresponsibly and make it home just fine without driving, but you can't smoke a cigarette in a crowd without a non-smoker breathing it in, therefore every instance of smoking in a crowd is an instance of smoking irresponsibly

The only thing that might have made this sound slightly smarter would have been if you used 'ergo' instead of 'therefore'.

What I'm trying to equate is the respect and responsibility factors. Lawn chairs in the crowd sucks, and no one has a problem with lawn chairs in outside of the crowd. The same can go for smokes. Smoke responsibly. One can wait until they've left a crowd to light up.

I only brought up booze because if we're going to invent hazards to promote a cause, why not bring up actual hazards?

Esau seemed to understand what I didn't explain well enough. hey, it's the internet.

I skipped buying a pass this year. Instead' date=' I think I'll take all the money I would have spent on and at Blues Fest and spend it on and at club shows in Ottawa across the dates of the fest.

Aloha,

Brad[/quote']

What if there are no club shows Bradm?

There are always weekly residencies.

Aloha,

Brad

• 1 month later...