Jambands.ca

Bob Weir Collapses Onstage

Marcust99

Methinks: Shoulder injury + booze + meds + 9 shows in 12 days + 65 years old seems reasonable.

What I find sadder then watching that video, is the fact that they didn't bag the show at set break, or at *least* just keep Weir off stage. WTF was Phil thinking? Mind you, compassion has never run deep in GD land so it's really not that much of a shocker I suppose.

WTF was Phil thinking?

How in the fuck is that Phil's call or anyone else's for that matter? Mind you I havent seen anything but if Bob or any teammate says they are good to go you and you have known them for years you give them the benefit of the doubt.

Had I been to a Dead show and they didnt allow Jerry onstage because he had enough opiates in him to kill a horse I would have been pissed and probably rioted. Phish allowed Trey onstage at Coventry. Not that I am suggesting this was the case last night because I have zero clue.

Yes yes yes. Mindless enabling at its best.

WTF was Phil thinking?

How in the fuck is that Phil's call or anyone else's for that matter? Mind you I havent seen anything but if Bob or any teammate says they are good to go you and you have known them for years you give them the benefit of the doubt.

I think it's less about not telling the other what NOT to do, but more about doing what almost any sane person would think is the right thing to do for a friend and brother of 50 years who's in major crisis. But sadly it was the former and not the latter that happened. But then again, how long did these guys carry on with the band while Jerry slowly killed himself right in front of their eyes?

Collapse makes it sound way worse than it looked like to me, they helped him up and he continued to play sitting in a chair, he's an old man who has lived a hard life, old people fall over all the time doing way less active things than that. Keep on rocking Bobby!

The way they kept going like that seems to suggest that perhaps the band was pissed off at Bobby for maybe doing something he shouldn't have and perhaps, in their minds, he was getting what he deserved.

Either that or he was having a diabetic seizure and nobody gave a shit. But if they didn't know there was the potential for Bobby stumbling and foregeting that he is a rock star, they probably would have stopped.

John M Kadlecik: Bob wanted to play... if Phil, the crew & management couldn't talk him out of it, you think i have some magic power? This wasn't overpartying, btw, it was accidentally taking an ambien instead of a painkiller... the shoulder injury is real, & the white guitar just showed up the last couple of shows because it only weighs 3 or 4 lbs

Wow. Not to be a basement dwelling monitor starer- but what is the consensus as to Bobs issues?

Someone I know on another board had this to say last night.

Just got home from the show. During Unbroken Chain he almost fell over. They brought a chair out, he pushed it aside and kept playing. Then he started leaning over, then drooping over. who knows what he was playing. Then he fell. The band kept playing and they helped him to a chair an he pretended to play. Even kept playing after the song ended. They took a break and Bobby was done for the night. China>Rider was the best part of the night. Built to last encore. People were saying he was drunk, but he's old and its been 9 shows, plus 2 after parties and if he was on prescribed muscle relaxers, I guess its understandable.

It is a bit heartbreaking to see fake Jerry keep playing as one of his band mates (heroes?) was potentially having a major medical crisis within arms reach.

agreed. But hey, the music never stopped.

He saw him fall over, bumped into him and he keeps playing. No matter how you slice it, that seems to be lacking in compassion just a wee bit.

But the point about watching and letting Jerry kill himself with sweet sweet Persian is also fair.