Jambands.ca

Roll Call: Stones @ ACC Sat May 25

Marcust99

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so, whats with the $85 ticket release?

A friend of mine was on TM all day yesterday trying for $85 tickets and there was no rere. There was a rere of the regular priced tickets. I'm betting it happens after lunch today once they've set up the stage and such...

Fun show. Our seats ended up being side stage in the upper deck 2 rows from the roof. Horrid. Long story short we ended up getting a "relo" relocation to better seats and ended up in the lower bowl 2/3 of the way back and 2/3 of the way up. Great seats.

A friend who came 45 min after us got in the Pit. So it's completely random but apparently only 10% or so of these are Pit.

Phorbesie was lucky enough to pull Tongue Pit tix!

This was my 5th Stones show, her 2nd, and it certainly will remain an unforgettable evening.

We positioned ourselves on Keith side, five people back from the stage. It was roomy and exuberant; people were in a good mood.

Except perhaps the guy next to us. A local bar owner, he was about to see the Stones for the 39th time. The last show he saw was the New Jersey show last December for which he paid $2500 for a pair of VIP tix. "I thought they weren't going to do a tour! The Stones led me to believe that the handful of dates in London and New York would be their last shows."

I think everyone in the world knew the band was going to do a follow up tour. Really, can't we all now agree that the five shows in 2012 were a misguided ticket pricing experiment?

Anyway, this guy had paid $700 for his Pit ticket tonight and he was pissed that the guys in front of us had scored Pit tickets for $85 each.

"I'm not pissed off at those guys," he says. "Good for them, but I think it's a lousy thing to do to the fans. When guys like you and me pay $1500 for a pair of tickets," (I remain silent, nodding) "it's an insult to have guys paying $85 and standing in front of you."

He was going on and on about this when a pair arrived behind us high-fiving and revelling in the fact that they had scored Pit tickets for $85 each. I didn't see much of dude after that.

About 9pm the lights dim. The crowd goes nuts as the video screens mount anticipation. Soon "Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome the Rolling gentlemen please welcome the Rolling Sto the world's greatest The Rollings Stones greatest rock and roll band Ladies and gentlemen please welcome please welcome, the world's greatest rock and roll band, the Rolling Stones!â€

And there they are. Right there, Charlie Watts is twenty-three feet away, lovingly picking up his drum sticks, Ronnie Wood, weighing in at about 117 pounds and looking remarkably underfed just fifteen feet away. Mick Jagger is soon to run to the microphone, flapping like a bird escaping a cage, his mic stand about ten feet from where I'm standing.

But really I take all of this in only peripherally, because right there in front of me, not ten feet from my very own eyeballs, standing like he stands in every picture I've ever seen, his left hand almost hanging off the fretboard and his right arm cocked, ready to strike. There in front of me stands my guitar slinging hero, the reason I play guitar, the great Keith Richards, and he's looking good.

Headband, scarf, black jeans, maybe 140 pounds soaking wet, the man, the legend, was up there calmly petting his telecaster and helping to pull 20,000 people out of their seats, where they would stay for the next 2.5+ hours.

For the first third of the show I couldn't take my eyes off of Keith, and Phorbesie was the same. Mick would be flapping about on the ramp just beside us to our right and there we were, our eyes still transfixed on Keith Richards. Right there. Not ten feet away. Jesus.

Every song or two Keith would fling his pick into the Pit. Dude in front of us (not $85 ticket dude) caught one early on, it would have been ours otherwise. Later in the show a guy behind me bought the pick off of the dude. For $200.

Carrie Underwood guested and did a really good job. I could see that Mick has a secret code for the guest; if, within his constant random gesticulation Mick points at you, you are supposed to sing with him. She kept her eyes on him the whole time, and sang exclusively when he pointed at her.

Mick Taylor guested for two songs, one midway and one late in the set. I was really looking forward to his participation but found it lacking. From the first riff it's clear he's the most solid guitarist up there, but he is so lacking in charisma, especially when standing next to guys like Mick, Ron and Keith. Taylor brought up the musicality a bit but didn't add much to the show, and really, the Stones are about the show, aren't they?

People (mostly people that don't attend the shows) tend to slam the Stones as musical has-beens that can barely keep up to their sidemen. They may be well past their prime but I'll say this – they can still kick out some great rock and roll, despite a few rough patches here and there, and one thing for sure, they're working their asses off up there; they are each doing all they can to put on the best show they can put on.

Especially Mick. The man is a powerhouse, a constant blast of energy that is obvious from the back of the room. But up close...when you can see the tendons in his neck pulsing and the intense facial expressions accompanying every syllable...Mick Jagger is working every single muscle in his body into a manic non-stop kinetic frenzy at every moment, it's really astounding to watch. And his voice is virtually unchanged, still utterly able to recreate any of the unique and ground-breaking vocal styles he has developed over the decades. When he goes up high for Emotional Rescue it's exactly, completely the same as it ever was. His hoo-hoo-ing in Sympathy For The Devil is perfect, his completely different hoo-hoo-ing in Miss You, again: perfect.

Everything about being in the Pit was fantastic. The sound was good, the sightlines were ridiculous, the freedom to watch the show that you want to watch, hell, seeing Keith's fingers close enough to notice certain elements of his frethand fingering, and which songs he doesn't use a pick for (Honky-Tonk Women, for example). Even the fact that beer wasn't allowed in the Pit felt like a blessing, saving us a bundle and probably making the whole thing more memorable.

Really, getting into the Pit (and not feeling like I spent two months rent in the process) was a dream come true. I was a smiling lunatic the whole time. It felt like seeing them in a small, intimate venue while still experiencing the collective rush of excitement that comes from being part of a crowd of thousands.

In a word, it was awesome, and I'll cherish the memories for a long time to come.

One thing the stood out in the aftermath of seeing the World's Greatest Rock & Roll band from such a close vantage point was how much Charlie Watts brings to the table. The guy is really one of rock's truly great drummers, and like Mick Jagger, nothing in his playing seems to have waned. He was so on top of everything, so effortlessly keeping the band perfectly on, so subtle and yet so unique – I may never hear the band quite the same again.

We have $85 tickets for the next Toronto show and the Montreal show as well, so that's two more kicks at the can. (Sticky) Fingers crossed that we'll get lucky again!

Most large venues have a little known service whereby they will "upgrade" the people with the shittiest seats to better ones, either by request or they'll offer it outright. The industry term is "relocate" or "relo". Shortly before showtime they will have a list of any unsold seats and make those available for "relo". On Sat after getting our tickets we immediately went to Guest Services and asked for a relo however they didn't have anything available. We went back about 15 min before showtime and they told us they released the relo's and there should be a guy in the nosebleed area offering trades. Sure enough right outside the entrance to our section there's a guy there at a table with a small stack of tickets available to trade. We gave him ours and he handed us 2 lower bowl tickets. Even the tickets themselves had RELO on them where the price is listed. Score!

I've done this one time in the past when I ended up with crap seats and will do it again at the next Stones show in 2 weeks if necessary.

We tried that but there were only 2 sections in the house that were getting upgraded or relo. I suspect this was because it was the first TO show and people blew their load on tix thinking it might be the only show. I suspect for the June 6 show that there will be more relo's happening.

Good luck!

And holy Todd/ Heather do you guys ever strike out on anything? Good work.

We tried that but there were only 2 sections in the house that were getting upgraded or relo. I suspect this was because it was the first TO show and people blew their load on tix thinking it might be the only show. I suspect for the June 6 show that there will be more relo's happening.

Good luck!

And holy Todd/ Heather do you guys ever strike out on anything? Good work.

They announced both shows before either went on sale.

And yes, we get shut out of things. We just don't end up bragging about the shutouts on the internet!

Mick Jagger is soon to run to the microphone, flapping like a bird escaping a cage

Haha! This made me snarf my fruit smoothie nearly right outta my nose...it burned. But a great visual nonetheless.

Sounds like an incredible experience