Jambands.ca

Neil Young - Harvest Picnic - Christie Lake, Dundas aug. 31

Esau.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/3239502-greenbelt-harvest-picnic-neil-young-takes-a-seat-at-the-picnic-table/

Greenbelt Harvest Picnic: Neil Young takes a seat at the Picnic table

Iconic Canadian rocker joins Christie Lake music festival lineup

NEIL YOUNG

Associated Press file photo

Neil Young, pictured at Farm Aid in St. Louis, Mo., in October 2009, is performing at the Greenbelt Harvest Picnic at Christie Lake Conservation Area on Aug. 31.

GREENBELT HARVEST PICNIC

Featuring: Neil Young and Crazy Horse, Emmylou Harris, Daniel Lanois, Whitehorse, Rocco DeLuca and Trixie Whitley (more to be announced in upcoming weeks)

When: Saturday, Aug. 31. Gates open at 11 a.m. Show at noon.

Where: Christie Lake Conservation Area, 1002 Highway 5 W., Dundas

ByGraham Rockingham

Neil Young and his band Crazy Horse will join Emmylou Harris and Daniel Lanois at the third annual Greenbelt Harvest Picnic at Christie Lake Conservation Area.

The 67-year-old Canadian rock icon will headline the daylong music, food, and fun fest that takes place Saturday, Aug. 31 at the conservation area in rural Dundas.

Also confirmed on the bill are Canadian roots-rock duo Whitehorse (Melissa McClelland and Luke Doucet), guitarist Rocco DeLuca and singer-songwriter Trixie Whitley.

"I tried to get Neil Young the first year, but he was preparing for the Buffalo Springfield reunion on the West Coast at the time," said Jean-Paul Gauthier, Harvest Picnic founder and producer. "It was a long process, one of those things you don't rush. You let it take its time."

Young, who last performed in Hamilton in 1996, has been touring the world with Crazy Horse for much of the past year to support their latest album, Psychedelic Pill. Young recently completed a tour of Australia and New Zealand and is about to begin an extended tour of Europe.

Young will conclude his European tour Aug. 21 at London's O2 arena and then return with Crazy Horse to North America for the Harvest Picnic, his only southern Ontario stop of the summer.

Harris, one of the most respected voices in country music, and Lanois, the Hamilton-raised singer-songwriter who went on to win multiple Grammys producing records by U2, Peter Gabriel and Bob Dylan, will be making their third straight appearances at the Picnic.

"As I look at this year's lineup for Greenbelt Harvest Picnic," said Lanois, "I can say that my dream has come true. I'm surrounded by artists who I love, many of whom I've made records with. This year's Harvest is truly a homecoming."

Both Lanois and Harris have close ties with Young. Lanois and Young each won Juno Awards for their 2011 collaboration, Le Noise, while Harris has toured extensively with Young. Harris's Grammy-winning 1995 album Wrecking Ball, which was produced by Lanois, took its title from a Neil Young song.

"One thing I always try to do is link all the bands together," said Gauthier, who is still in the process of booking additional acts to the lineup. "There's got to be diversity, but there's also got to be a common thread."

In previous Harvest Picnics, Lanois and Harris have performed onstage together. Gauthier said he hopes that kind of collegiality will continue at this year's festival.

"The nice thing about a gig like this is you never know what can happen with all these common threads," Gauthier said.

In its first two years, the event drew about 7,500 music fans to Christie Lake with headliners Ray LaMontagne and Feist.

"While we are expecting a larger crowd this year, it will remain a relatively intimate setting," Gauthier said.

Besides music, the Harvest Picnic features swimming, fishing, a farmers' market featuring produce from some 20 local farms, horticultural workshops and dozens of crafts and food vendors.

Tickets go on sale Saturday, June 1 at 10 a.m., with general admission prices of $139.50 (children 10 and under get in free; for youth 11 to 15, it's $19.50). Gauthier said the first 1,000 ticket buyers would receive a discounted price of $129 on general admission.

2zfla8h.jpg

Edited by Guest
to add pic

Indeed not...esp if you're referring to his vocal prowess.

This is huge exciting news. I'm a little sad about the price jump only because this festival had such a great small-town community, family feel to it. Dundas and its people are near and dear to my heart and this will certainly price many people out of the market, and possibly change some of the elements that I loved so much about the festival. I suppose Dundas in general has increasingly become more affluent anyways...

Having said that its a really nice venue, great cause, I hope they keep up with all of the local vendors...exciting news all around and definitely on my radar.

Guest Low Roller
Anyone feel like grabbing a couple tix for us in the Hammer on Saturday morning? PM me :)

Sorry Fluff, just saw this. Would have, but now I am without vehicle for the day, so no go.