Jambands.ca

Mickey Hart at Festival of Friends

HMike

Mickey will be releasing Superorganism any day now. Last year's release Mysterium Tremendum had some great cuts,some written by Robert Hunter.

Here's a Mickey Hart Band's Playing in the Band from earlier this year:

Some followup info from Mickey:

The MHB is excited to announce our new album “SUPERORGANISMâ€, due out August 13th.

This time we journey into the micro, the hidden worlds of rhythm within us, within our bodies. The brain, Rhythm Central, the place of dreams is explored. My brain wave signals are reimagined in sound using a cap with electrodes that can read the throbs and signals of the brain. I have also sonified the sounds of stem cells, and heart rhythms for this recording.

We will be performing SUPERORGANISM in your town real soon.

Robert Hunter has once again written lyrics.

Reed Mathis from Tea Leaf Green will be joining our little family this tour on bass. Reed will be performing double duties, as the “Tea Leaf Trio†will be opening the majority of the dates on the SUPERORGANISM tour.

We will also have special guests joining us every night of the tour. TBA

Dates for the tour are below. A portion of the ticketing fees from the tickets sold on my website go to Music Therapy Research.

We pulse, we throb, and we are a comin your way.

Please, "Mind your heads people, mind your heads"!!!

Onward,

Mickey

• 2 weeks later...

I hope Dave Schools is still playing bass with him. From what I can recall he was pretty much the best part of his set at Hillside last year.

I don't remember being blown away by Mickey, plus he was kind of a dickhead. Maybe that's weighing too much on my opinion of him.

• 3 weeks later...
I hope Dave Schools is still playing bass with him. From what I can recall he was pretty much the best part of his set at Hillside last year.

I don't remember being blown away by Mickey, plus he was kind of a dickhead. Maybe that's weighing too much on my opinion of him.

How was Mickey Hart a dickhead instead of just a deadhead at Hillside last year?

• 1 month later...

Grrr, just lost a rather lengthy post. Here’s the condensed version.

I really enjoyed this show. It was cool seeing Mickey’s brain image projected on the screen. Crystal Monee Hall has an awesome voice that sat nicely on top of the deep rhythms that the band was churning out. It brought a smile to my face to see my deadhead friend introduce the band. Bravo to Mickey to for continuing to push boundaries with his music. It was a treat to hear his interpretation of Scarlet Begonias, Bertha, Samson and Delilah, Fire on the Mountain and Brokedown Palace (I think I got them all), along with his original material. I enjoyed it enough to buy Superorganism (I almost typed Superorgasm, likely because of the thread started by edger). I’d go again. But if I had a choice, I’d go to see Phil instead.

Yeah I thought the show was pretty good and an interesting concept with the brain mapping. From where I was standing I was surprised that the drumming itself wasn't more prominent in the mix but the musicianship was good. And yes the female singer had a powerful soulful voice. Sorry I missed ya Tonin. Saw you at one point but was later informed y'all had garnered some VIP attention so congrats on that.

Overall I just didn't have the energy myself that night, but the music was good and a real treat to get to see an original member of the Grateful Dead playing in a field in Ancaster of all places and so close to where I grew up.

I thought Reed Mathis did a solid job, but I had a hard time hearing what he was doing for the first part of the set. It did seem to get dialed in better as the show progressed, and I also ended up moving to a better sound pocket.

Sorry I missed you edger. It looks like I missed a number of people. I did get hooked up with a pit pass, which was really cool, as I enjoyed the view from up close. But after 3 or 4 songs I ended up moving back to get into a sweeter sound pocket. Liana stayed up front for the whole show though, and totally dug it, as I knew she would. Right up her alley with the drumming, the vocalist, and the brain imaging stuff.