Jambands.ca

TURF talk

DevO

Rather than bogarting thomson's FB wall. :)

Day one was pretty good! I thought Joel Plaskett Emergency stole the show last night. That guy knows how to win a crowd over every time. Hasn't failed for me yet. Wasn't it odd that TSN's Dave Hodge announced the band?

It was good to see The Barr Brothers again, there was one new song in the middle of the set that I thought was pretty great.

She and Him didn't do much for me though. I am not really up on who Zooey Dechanel actually is, but there seemed to be some kind of additional focus on her that wasn't necessary. I would love to see just Him! M Ward that is.

Looking forward to the rest of the weekend. Great to see some of youz yesterday!

I had a knapsack and it got searched. They looked in the big pocket only and not in the small one. Tall boys of Creemore are sold on site. Indeed they are $9 each!

There is also one of those fresh squeezed lemonade stands in case you want to bring along the appropriate fixins for that.

I got a very minimal pat down pretty much around my waist...I guess looking to see if I have booze in my waistband?? It was pretty half-hearted though.

Fun time last night! The highlight of She & Him for me (surprise surprise) was that Chris Scruggs (grandson of Earl) is part of the touring band. He played a tune on steel and killed it, but when it didn't look like he was going to sit back down again, we bailed. So many covers that were cool choices, and kudos to them for bringing light to some of my favourite old songs that nobody plays anymore, but they weren't executed with any kind of incredible dexterity or anything. I mean they weren't bad. But it was kinda like, you're headlining a festival and you're launching into your third 60's-era pop cover? Weird. However I must say that Unchained Melody in the middle with just the guitar and three singers was pretty cool.

Looking forward to tonight if we're not rained out.

So, when we bought early-bird festival passes we were led to believe that these passes would allow us entry to all of the late-night club series shows.

Then when they presented the late night club series, TURF announced that festival pass holders have "priority access" to purchasing tickets to late night club series shows ahead of the pack. And therefore our passes did not include access to the late night shows after all. I actually emailed TURF for clarification / to complain but got no response. Though annoyed, some of us (like me) might have gone and bought tickets to late night shows at this point.

Now it is festival time. It was announced from the stage yesterday that anyone who had a ticket for Thursday TURF could also get into the Thursday late night shows for free. As for tonight, TURF just tweeted: "VIP or 4-day wristbands get you into Lee's Palace and Horseshoe for free tonight! Subject to capacity,so be sure to get there early."

And this is kind of bullshit. There, I feel better already.

Its too bad for the organizers that there weren't more people there- but for me it was fantastic to not have to wait in line for anything or even try at all to have a great view.

The sun is shining, so I am sure the little bit of water lying around will be long gone by the time Felice Bros. hit the stage.

I'm really excited for todays lineup.

HOLD STEADY!!

I'm pretty certain the Field Trip Fest the other weekend was pretty well attended and I STILL didn't have to wait in line for anything. Fort York is such a great venue.

Too bad for the promoters but maybe they shouldn't have made a 4 day thing with too many bands??

Either way, sunshine and HOLD FUCKIN' STEADY!!!!

Felice Brothers > Skydiggers > Dawes > Matt Mays > Frank Turner > Lowest of the Low > Hold Steady

The best 9 straight hours of uninterrupted festival programming I have seen in a long time.

If that wasn't enough there was a multitude of skanks both old and new in the crowd, if you could call it that. Cheers to all of you- you know who you are.

Thank you and good night!

Edited by Guest

I thought Felice Brothers were incredible. Dawes was very very good, they just don't do anything mind blowing (other than play their excellent songs flawlessly).

Dave Hodge and Frank Turner co introduced The Hold Steady, and then Frank danced around in the pit for their set. They were also one of a very few bands all weekend that got an encore which of course Mr Turner sat in on....

Constructive Summer

Hot Soft Light

Wait Awhile -new

Banging Camp

Sequestered in Memphis

Hurricane J

The Swish

Chips Ahoy!

Rock Problems

The Ambassador -new

Magazines

Girls Like Status

Stuck Between Stations

Look Alive -new

Chicago Seemed Tired Last Night

Your Little Hoodrat Friend

Southtown Girls

Stay Positive

Edited by Guest

This festival wouldn't have been half as fun without the people that I got to see and hang out with. Honestly one of the best times I've had in a very long time and NOT just cuz of The Hold Steady.

Got drenched from head to toe today and it was still the best time. Loved every moment of it. Now if I could unsoak a $400 camera and make it work again that would be great.

So, when we bought early-bird festival passes we were led to believe that these passes would allow us entry to all of the late-night club series shows.

Then when they presented the late night club series, TURF announced that festival pass holders have "priority access" to purchasing tickets to late night club series shows ahead of the pack. And therefore our passes did not include access to the late night shows after all. I actually emailed TURF for clarification / to complain but got no response. Though annoyed, some of us (like me) might have gone and bought tickets to late night shows at this point.

Now it is festival time. It was announced from the stage yesterday that anyone who had a ticket for Thursday TURF could also get into the Thursday late night shows for free. As for tonight, TURF just tweeted: "VIP or 4-day wristbands get you into Lee's Palace and Horseshoe for free tonight! Subject to capacity,so be sure to get there early."

And this is kind of bullshit. There, I feel better already.

TURF made it right! I complained via email and Twitter and by Friday at Noon I had heard back from the organizers with an offer to either upgrade my 2 passes to VIP for the rest of the weekend, or give me free tickets to the Sat or Sun late night shows. I took the VIPs. Thanks TURF for taking care of me.

A friend who is pretty in the know was telling me that the organizers have a 4-year plan for this festival. This gives me hope as the festival was under attended on Thurs, Fri and Sat. Maybe they anticipated it to some degree in year one. This also helps to make better sense of the organizers going out of their way to build allies as they did for me (above). That wouldn't happen with a fly by night operation.

Good times on the weekend! My favs:

The Hold Steady: I'm sold! About time I saw them.

JOel Plaskett: Won the crowd over, loved it.

Justin Townes Earle: I'm a new fan. Paul Niehaus on pedal steel too.

The Sadies: Awesome as usual. Kurt Vile sat in and sang at least 7 syllables.

Neko Case: I was at the very front, she was good and with the torrential downpour certainly memorable

Great to see a lot of old friends and familiar faces!