Jambands.ca

Hillside Rollcall

phishtaper

we visited with the artistic director last night and he suggested that some of the unexpected highlights might be Escondido and Ruth Moody. Im also especially looking forward to Sonic Youth's Lee Ranaldo; World Party; Shadowy Men; Wintersleep; the Arts & Crafts sets; Bonnie Prince Billy, and; Diamond Rings, as well as so many other Hillside favourites.

should be another great year.

What a great night of music. Even New Riders wish of Diamond Rings and World Party not conflicting came to pass when a power outage hit the Island Stage.

I nominate World Party for least appropriate band title. I was expecting world or party music- not good old fashioned country/ rock n roll songs.

Bonnie Prince Billy w Dawn McCarthy doing Gram Parsons' Love Hurts, Carter Family style around one mic, was a highlight.

Lots of nice looking sessions/ workshops today including a couple by my most anticipated set of the weekend: Akron Family. Now if I can only get through the morning Drum n Dance 11am set, I will be all set for the day.

Quote of the night: "You only brought $200 for tonight?! Have you met you?"

I now love the clarinet. The music made me feel like I was walking around at a music festival that Nucky Thompson was throwing on the boardwalk in Atlantic City.

His band spent about an hour in our booth checking out buckles to take home and said they'd be back today.

If you've never heard or seen Petunia from New Brunswick who tours somewhat infrequently and liked Pokey, check him. Same kind of vibe, but without the huge touring band.

Edited by Guest

Clearly the Pokey Lafarge band made a big impression as the crowd at the small Sun Stage for their set with Akron/ Family was huge yesterday afternoon. I spoke with Adam (guitar) for a while yesterday and he was very thankful for the kind folks in Ottawa and their a/v wizardy.

From the first set of the day that saw Young Benjamins and Wilderness of Manitoba covering Beirut (flawlessly) then Ruth Moody dropping some Springsteen- much to the delight of both myself and Travis Good (who was in my booth ordering a custom belt buckle for his wife!) to Lee Ranaldo and the Dust rocking Talking Heads, winding through an uneven set by Hayden that was more than saved by a killer Powderfinger with Andrew Whiteman, I wandered over to see Pokey LaFarge with Akron/Family covering the Carter Family then The Sadies w Shadowy Men (and some of Arcade Fire) covering an entire Alice Cooper album, and lastly Whitehorse covering both Springsteen (I'm on Fire) and JJ Cale (Crazy Mama)- this was the day of the cover. And it was 'Good'.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...