Jambands.ca

Gathering of the Vibes

mark tonin

Had an awesome time! Here are some highlights and comments from the weekend:

Phil Lesh with Scofield, Medeski, Russo and Kadlecik. Are you kidding me? I knew it would be good. I was wrong. It was better than that. My favourite post-Jerry musical experience by any member(s) of the Grateful Dead. Phil Lesh for president.

Steve Kimock featuring Bernie Worrell and Friends. Super groovy. I like to dance. This band made me dance. Big time. I'd love to see this band again.

John Scofield Uberjam. I picked this over Galactic and ended up right up front. It was a wise choice on my part, and I am a big fan of Galactic. I remember when the record Uberjam first came out and it lived in my cd player. It was a treat to see this music played live. Wow. Stellar musicianship meets modern technology. He's got a new Uberjam record out. Boogie Stupid is the name of one song he played from it - sums it up nicely.

The Black Crowes. Sometimes I forget how much I like to hear a good rock band. These guys are better than that. They rock big time. I hope to see them again before too long.

Kung Fu and Deep Banana Blackout. The late night funk was raging!

Railroad Earth. I really enjoyed floating around the festival grounds while these guys played.

Dark Star Orchestra. Yes they are a cover band. And more than that. And, in my opinion, they are the perfect Thursday night band for this festival. They set the stage for a fantastic weekend.

The venue (Seaside Park) was excellent. We were camped close to the stages (under 10 min walk) but it didn't feel too close or busy. Really good sound. Fairly low sketch factor from what I observed. On the ocean with a nice beach. Clean restrooms and portable toilets. Excellent food options and lots of cools vendors. I would definitely go back to this venue for a festival.

Edger, c-towns and livingstoned. My travel crew. Excellent. High fun factor. No hassle factor. Thanks kids! :)

Bands that I really enjoyed but that I wish I took in even more of: Blues Traveler, John Butler Trio, Funky Meters.

Some bands that I missed that I wished I had the time and energy to see: Galactic, Tedeschi/Trucks, Fishbone.

All-in-all a fantastic festival! The negatives are too few and too small to mention. I'd go again!

Peace, Mark

• 7 months later...
Phil Lesh with Scofield, Medeski, Russo and Kadlecik. Are you kidding me? I knew it would be good. I was wrong. It was better than that. My favourite post-Jerry musical experience by any member(s) of the Grateful

I'm really looking forward to the Brooklyn Bowl shows in Vegas next month !

Never been to the Vibes Fest before.

I've had mixed reactions about this since it dropped. For me Mountain Jam is grabbing at me more...

Having said that, just LOVE Panic live these days and there are lots of other interesting acts on there. Plus the venue is just so great. The ocean renewed me every day and re-set me right back to giver' worthy. And not sure if this is always the case, as I have heard VERY different reports about security at this festival, but the sheer copious amounts of vodka that we were able to bring in with every trip was just nothing short of hilarious. Ha! God livingstoned needs to post some of those pics where ctowns is running from his alter self.

I am also not sure what to think. Would love to travel to this with the crew of friends from last year, and add more to the mix, but the lineup, while containing lots of good stuff, seems to be missing something. No Phil (which surprises me given that the lineup was announced on his birthday), no Ratdog, no ABB, no SCI, no Phish (ha ha). Hopefully I don't sound like I'm stuck in the past with my whining!

It is a sweet venue, the timing of this fest is great, and there is lots on the bill that I know I'd enjoy. Plus the festival is known for some sweet late additions over the years.

Curious as to what others think. Part of what makes a festival experience great is the friends that are part of it. Going to look at Mountain Jam again as well.

Peace, Mark